Dump your obsolete MD recorders

Dump your obsolete MD recorders

http://www.zzounds.com/item—ZOMPS04

Anybody tried one of these yet? Looks like the obvious choice to take to sessions, all the benefits of a MD with no moving parts, plus multitracking and effects in your shirt pocket for under $200 USD.

I’ve been waiting for a high quality digital recorder or HDR with a mic input for this purpose, might give this one a try and see if it does the job.

Re: Dump your obsolete MD recorders

Wow! I want one.

Sounds too good to be true. If you get one Scott, please give us a review, especially if it proves to be just the thing for recording sessions.

Posted .

Oh—and thanks for the link. I’ve been looking for something like this for a long time, in that price range as well.

Posted .

wow again. don’t know what the verdict on the sony hi-md’s is (anybody got one?), but this looks like exactly what i’ve been looking for…

But, if I buy one what will i do with all the unused cassette tapes I still have?

I’m in the same boat, Brad. I like all this new technology but still hang on to the old stuff like "reel to reel", vinyl, 78 records and, most importantly, the tunes themselves. 🙂

I bought a Sony md recorder about a week ago, but I’m a clutz at technology (well, I couldn’t be bothered to take the time to sit down and fiddle with it enough to sus things out) and have only just worked out how to record and play back - durhh! There were all these wires came with it to get stuff off the computer or from a stereo, but no microphone. Is live music a thing of the past? I wondered. Bought a little stereo mic today. Haven’t touched the edit function yet. Hoping to collect some oral histories with it as well as record music. Trust me though to get the technology as it becomes obsolete. That music studio in your palm looks really radical (and cheaper than the Sony).

For a similar amount of money you could get a hard-drive based player which you could use to record sessions, playback slowed-down tracks (at least in the case of the Creative Jukebox), etc., and also store your entire music collection. And if you want to do any serious recording (i.e., not compressed), a 128MB flash card isn’t going to hold much.

— Scott Turner

Sounds like a jazzed up, slimmed down version of Zoom’s excellent MRS-4, which I have and works great if ever I get it back from my teenage son.

Re the MRS-4, which has many cahracteristics duplicated in this thing :
You can buy bigger flash cards, as many as you want, and it’s not really meant for "serious" recording, more for "notebook" stuff and on-the-fly recording. It has multi-track recording facilities and is a lot less faffing around than any other solution I have tried. You can transfer to your computer easily with a card reader and downloadable software .

The quality pretty much depends on your mike.

Posted by .

If the mfg wishes me to evaluate this new device and recommend it to this list, I’ll do it free, but not with me paying them. I’ve been recording live for over thirty years and have spent a bundle or recorders, but not any more, or at least until MY needs are addressed, and the thing doesn’t become obsolete and dysfunctional before the warranty expires. If someone else wishes to spend Their money to evaluate , I’d be interested to read their review.

If it sounds TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE is a line applied to things that are not what they seem.

if you record on all 4 tracks 128mb will give you about 5 minutes or so of recording time.The compact flash cards(if thats what it uses) can be pretty steep- I think about

Posted by .

I have used the earlier version of the Zoom Palm Studio. I would not recommend it. The ad copy is very misleading.

"It provides 2-track simultaneous recording with 65 minutes storage on a 128MB Smart Media Card (mono Hi-Fi mode)."

*Hi-Fi* mode is small file, low quality sound, very poor., Not nice. Ugly..

The unit comes with a small memory card and this gives you about 12 minutes of good quality sound, that’s if you use only use 1 track. If you double track anything your recording is cut in half.

This unit is really not acceptible as a *recording* device, that is for recording sessions. Forget about it.

Scott is absolutely on the mark "For a similar amount of money you could get a hard-drive based player which you could use to record sessions, playback slowed-down tracks (at least in the case of the Creative Jukebox), etc., and also store your entire music collection. And if you want to do any serious recording (i.e., not compressed), a 128MB flash card isn’t going to hold much."

Alternetively, I’ve been using an iRiver MP3 recorder for recording sessions and it works great. The model I have isn’t much bigger than the AA size battery that powers it. It has an internal mic as well as a line input. The record quality can be set at your desired level (bit rates and sampling frequency). At the best quality MP3 settings (320k bit rate and 44K sampling, pretty much indistinguishible from CD quality)) you have 90 minutes of real record time. That’s with the 128M model, IFP380-T. They offer a 256M and a 512M models which would double and then double again the record time. Street price on the one I have is about $100-$125. The upload to your PC is via USB and is *fast*. I’m very happy with this cheap, little, no hassle unit.

http://www.mpio.com/goods/fy200.php

I got a neat little device just over a month ago: MPIO FY-200 made by Digital Way.

Digital recording, with built in mic (adjustable sample rates and mic gains), mp3/wav player, slow file playback function, good readable display, intuitive controls. You can also plug in an external mic, but I’ve found the internal mic quality to be excellent for session recordings. You can also input an analog line in from say a CD player or tape deck and directly record to digital files.

Files record in compressed wav format (but no conversion needed to listen to them in Media Player; they show up with a .wav extension). Functions like one of those USB jump drives, so actually I use it at work sometimes to transfer large files (will hold non-music files as well). I’ve got the 512MB model, which affords me 800+ minutes recording time at the highest sample rate.

There’s a built in FM stereo and you can record from the radio as well (looking forward to nabbing RTE Gaeltacht this year during Willie Week).

It’s not much bigger than a lighter, and runs on 1 AAA battery. I bought some rechargeables and one battery will get you about 7 hours continuous operation. I used it to record several sessions and then put it through its paces at the tionol in St. Louis. I’m extremely pleased with it.

So far my only complaint has been some occasional crackling/fuzz when I’ve got the thing parked too close to a loud session. If I move it away several feet that goes away and actually I am pretty amazed at how well it picks up sound from far away (voices at non-drunk volume levels 15 feet away come across clearly). I suspect that I have to fiddle about with the gain settings on the internal mic or experiment with an external mic.

Picked it up at Best Buy for ~$250

If you’re interested in hearing some audio samples recorded with it just let me know and I can send some.

I forgot to mention that it works with my PC and my iBook…

Call me old fashioned, but I still use oxen to turn my CD-ROM.

And I use my oven to burn my CD-ROM. And I take it as an omen when I spurn my CD-ROM.

I love the engrish on the MPIO website.

I tried one of the high end flashROM devices (not the MPIO, but similar), but the recording quality, even at the highest bit rate and using a high quality external mic was gawdawful so I sold it a week after I got it. It worked great for voice, but dismal for music.

An ipod-type device would be ideal, but I thought they only had a built-in mic and line-in, but no external mic jack (i.e. no internal mic pre), which is an absolute must since the little electrets they put inside are pretty limited. To use the line-in for an external mic, you’d need a separate preamp, which I don’t want to lug around.

My God! This is all very complicated. The trouble with all these dinky hi-tech devices is that they are too small to operate in a murky pub after four pints of Guinness. Jerry and I totally failed to make a ‘live’ recording for the Mighty Thing CD on so many occasions because he’d hit the wrong miniscule button every time (And now we’ve finally made it, under the bright lights of his kitchen - Max won’t send me an address to send it to - but that’s another story). I Reckon you need a recorder in a big wooden box, with buttons at least six inches across, rather than an MP IOU 3d-100 xxx ZoomPalm Wotsit.

"I Reckon you need a recorder in a big wooden box,"

Don’t wake the "recorders in sessions" demons Ottery.

I wouldn’t write off MD technology yet. The idea of appropriate technology is still viable here as anywhere, and until a "dinky hi-tech device" comes along that is easy to use, records at least as well as an average MD recorder, and doesn’t take a Ph.D. or a teenager to hook it up, I’m not throwing out my Sharp MD702 recorder. Those "recording studios in a tiny box" freak me out as well. Who’s got the time to futz around with something like that?

I forgot to add that the MPIO has a nifty backlight (green or orange you get to choose), so you can see what you’re doing in the darkness…it also has a lock device on it which prevents accidental button pushing after many pints have gone down the hatch.

Well, apparently the HiMDs have been delayed a few weeks yet. Meanwhile, my MZN10 is showing signs that I’ve dropped it a few times too many, it is starting to mis-record more and more often.
Sigh…