Merging tunes

Re: Merging tunes

I can merge duplicate submissions. The problem is usually knowing about them, so if anyone spots any duplicates, please let me know.

We can use this discussion to list them or you can contact me directly through my member profile, whichever you prefer.

I’ve merged all those settings of the Tulla reel into one listing now:
https://thesession.org/tunes/141

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.

Will the cleared tune numbers remain dead links, or reassigned to new tune submissions? I’m asking because the latter might cause some confusion with all the "duplication" comments (and any other links for that matter).

Anyway, merging days of Easter everyone! 🙂

Alas, the cleared tune numbers are now 404 dead links. So you’re right: half the comments about duplicates end up pointing to non-existent pages once the tunes have been merged.

Ideally, I should have a system to redirect the old links to the canonical listing. I should get cracking on coding that up.

On the plus side, there aren’t that many duplicates, so this is an edge case …but there are just enough to make the dead links annoying over time.

Why not leave it the way it was, we have now lost the "Humours of Tulla" DMaj, the first setting that is now called the Tulla is a different tune, it not the humours of Tulla in Gmaj, it a different but similar tune, that I would call Glen Allen. Plus this messes up the link in tunepal… can we get the Humours of Tulla back, I don’t think it really matters that the same tune is in different places.

Also if the link can’t be forwarded to the new link, then just leave it the way it is.

Also, the Boys of Tulla, although obviously a variant, is different enough to deserve its own tune page. I consider them different tunes, not just different settings.

Posted by .

yeah agree, I just listen to Boys of Tulla, Completely different tune, except for the first part of part A

Just added "The Humours Of Tulla" as another tune name, which solved the problem with the recordings. The spelling has to be exactly the same, of course. (It had "Humors" of "Tullagh" and whatnot, but… well.) Anyway, it’s two different tunes mixed up now indeed. Well spotted.

Yes sorry I obviously didn’t check these very thoroughly - I think there were only two duplicates, the Boys Of Tulla should probably be reinstated if not too late. Also the Glen Martin.

I think so, the merge should have been just "The Humours of Tulla", with "Humours of Tulla" ….

Alan Ng has "Boys of Tulla" as a separate tune at http://irishtune.info. To my mind, Boys is the result of somebody mixing up two tunes and it sticking. The A part is essentially the A part of "Humours of Tulla" with a slightly different ending and the B part is essentially the A part of "Brendan McMahon’s" moved up an octave. https://thesession.org/tunes/7862

The merging can’t be undone.

In this case, I don’t think it’s too bad: The Humours Of Tulla and the The Boys Of Tulla could be interpreted as the same fundamental tune if you squint at them right.

But please check thoroughly before flagging tunes up as duplicates. I think I’m going to have to be more cautious from now on about making merges.

Theirlandais, if you know that a tune appears on a recording, please add the name used on the recording as an alias of the tune (as Sebastian has done in this case). Unlike merging duplicate submissions, that isn’t something you need to wait for me to do—anyone can add an alternative name to a tune (click on the "edit tune details" in the top right corner of the tune).

Jeremy, sure will and I have already done that before or corrected spellings on recordings etc.., when you’re merging tunes please maintain the name and alternative names of the tunes, I’m pretty confident that before yesterday "The Humours of Tulla" in recordings did link to one of the four links above, most probably the fourth link. As a general rule I think there are probably more problems created by merging than problems solved (and that’s even in the case where the tunes are definitely the same)

One last question, do you neutralise the word "The" in the linking process, eg in the following recording https://thesession.org/recordings/2330 you see track 13 "Humours of Tulla" doesn’t exist in the alternative names, yet it links to the correct tune, I can only presume you eliminate the word "The"

Theirlandais, yes; whether a tune is listed as "The Something" or just "Something", it will still link up to a track on a recording called either "The Something" or "Something".

So if a tune is listed only as "Humours of Tulla", it would still link up to a track listed as "The Humours of Tulla". Likewise if a tune is only listed as "The Humours of Tulla", it would still link up to a track listed as "Humours of Tulla".

But what doesn’t happen automatically is any cross-referencing with the spelling of "humours/humors". That’s why just about every tune that has a title of "The Humours of…" probably needs an alternative title of "The Humors of…" just in case there are any recording tracks using that spelling.

Hmm… although, thinking about it, maybe that’s something I could code in.

Ack! I just added a tune without realizing it was already here. The new one, which can be deleted, is Kilcummin Lasses (# 18350); I already added the setting to the existing one (# 10372).