Sobell 10-string mandolin for sale

Sobell 10-string mandolin for sale

I’m offering my 1984 Stefan Sobell rosewood and cedar 10-string mandolin for sale. I’m the original owner. See this posting on Mandolin Cafe for details:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/75703

Even if you aren’t in the market yourself, perhaps you know someone who might be interested. Please pass the word!

Re: Sobell 10-string mandolin for sale

Sounds like a beautiful instrument:)

I think the very obvious finish damage to the front of the instrument has not been taken into account in your valuation.

I think the amount of wear for an instrument of this age is negligible, and in no way affects the valuation of a fine instrument.
I guess Backer doesn’t want it then.
I’ll stand in the queue and wait for my numbers to come up.
Good luck in your sale.
The last time I heard Stefan Sobell had put a stop to any advance orders for his mandolin-family instruments, as he already had a 3-year waiting list. This information may be out of date, but it does indicate that, like Morgan sports cars, if one wanted to look at things from this point of view, a new Sobell increases in value as it leaves the workshop. Furthermore, they don’t come on the market very often. Someone well down the food chain, like me, can only look and envy. Mmmmmmmmmm, Sobell mandolin ! Better than donuts !

Round here we call that character, not damage. ;-)

That too.
Although there is a fashion, in the electric guitar world, for what they call "reliqued" instruments, good, new, playable guitars given serious amounts of surface damage to try and indicate that they are old and therefore valuable. This even applies to new copies made of specific famous musicians’ instruments. I don’t get it myself, but there’s no accounting for tastes. If I bought a new instrument ( haven’t for years ) I’d try and keep it nice but not grieve over marks on a working whatever, short of actual physical damage rendering it unplayable.