Low E Whistle?

Low E Whistle?

Hey Guys

Where could I get my hands on a Low E whistle in the style of the Chieftain’s Whistles?

My mate has an old Low E Chieftain and its great to play but they have stopped making them.

Cheers

Posted by .

Re: Low E Whistle?

I have the very thing Chieftans are based on, a whistle made by Bernard Overton, in Low E.

It’s a fantastic player. I’m pretty sure it would play better than a Chieftan, because Overtons were made by Bernard by hand, while the Chieftans are more or less factory products.

I’m actually looking to buy a Burke Low E, because I have Low Whistles in Eb and F by Burke and I would prefer consistency.

Anyhow the Overton Low E is for sale. I’d like to get around what I paid for it, $200.

I own a lot of Mike Burke’s whistles, but I’d have to say his low E is my favourite of all of them, and an all around spectacular instrument. Not a chieftain, but another great option.

If you are set specifically on a Chieftain, you could post a "wanted to buy" add on Chiff and Fipple. You’d have a chance of one turning up if you do that.

Just a question as a rookie - why use an E whistle?

For sessions or mainly for home/recording?

Cheers!

You can get the Chieftain Thunderbird (a modified Chieftain NR) in a D/Eb/E triple pack.

Good value actually, the tuneable Thunderbird Low D is £170.00 on it’s own but it’s only another £29.00 with the two extra tubes.

I’m an Eb fan myself, still that ‘low whistle sound’ but easier reach, louder and brighter than D.

Posted .

Choons, an E whistle is great for playing along with fiddlers playing in the keys of A or E. And low E is in a very nice place where it still sounds like a low whistle, but it’s significantly easier on your hands than a low D is.

Low E Whistle?

Thanks guys,

Choons I want one just to play at home, I’m guessing it won’t be much of a ‘session’ instrument. I like playing dance tunes on the low D Whistle but it always seems to me that Low D is too low and a bit of a dull , I have a Low F which is good but a friend loaned me a Low E and I really liked playing tunes on it… just like the three bears… one was too low the other too high and the other just right 🙂

Because I’m just playing on it alone I didnt want to spend a fortune (Im also gonna have a bash at writing some tunes on it).

Anyhow having considered a bunch of options yesterday I ordered one of these … great sound for £70!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0h6ATmkjWk

Posted by .

That video has reverb and cheesy synthesizer affecting the perception the listener will have of the actual sound of the whistle, so I don’t think it serves as any real indication of what the whistle will sound like. Not saying it won’t be good, but I wouldn’t form an opinion based upon that alone. Even without any such effects and extra noises, a video isn’t a good way to determine much about an instrument, as the microphone, recording method, and also your speakers/headphones will influence what you hear. Not to mention, a whistle sounds different at different distances. That’s not even taking into account that it doesn’t give any indication of how it will play.

I was once surprised when I saw a video comparing different low D’s, all of which I own and consider extremely different. They sounded much much more similar on the video (Susato, MK, Reviol, Burke), when they clearly do not in real life (especially for the player).

I hope you end up with a good one, though.

Doh!

Posted by .

What are the actual notes on an E whistle? The scale of E Major?

Yeah, what else? D = D major, C = C major, Bb = Bb major and so on.

What I don’t understand is you’re supposed to be able to play A Major tunes using G fingering, but if the Low E is E Major you would have to half hole at the bottom because of D#? What am I missing?

In answer to my own question (having dug out the low E I knew I had somewhere) - you cross-finger for D! 🙂