Info re Stagepas 250M PA

Info re Stagepas 250M PA

Hi folks,
I recently purchased the Yamaha 250m PA system. It’s a great, neat little system and great for our small outfit, a two and three piece playing both Irish traditional and American old time.
The only thing is - and here’s where I need help and advice from anyone who knows about the Stagepas 250 - there are two mic channels and then several line options for keyboards/guitars lines but I can’t seem to get anywhere close to an audible level when I plug in the instrument cable.
Does anyone know any way to get the instrument cable (used in guitar and/or fiddle pickup) working properly in this setup?
Thanks in advance

Re: Info re Stagepas 250M PA

DI box would be my suggestion.

Yes, I’ll go with Weejie, but add that it needs to be modern, ACTIVE DI boxes.

There are a number of different options that will work if you already have kit, or have more to spend - preamps are probably the best solution. But the bottom line is that the signal needs to go through ‘something electronic’ to bring the signal up to line level between the pickup and the line input of the PA. An active DI is the cheapest and simplest solution.

what are you plugging in with the instrument cable? passive pickups (on guitar, anyway) tend to have low levels, and as suggested above, need a boost. If there’s no battery in the instrument, it’s probably passive.

Posted by .

As far as I can see, channels 1 & 2 will work with a normal (unpowered) microphone. The other channels are for "line" inputs. A line input has a more powerful signal than that produced by a microphone, so you’ll need to boost it as suggested by the previous posters.

Posted by .

this is such an agreeable thread. I should add a "you shouldn’t plug a guitar into a PA until you know all the tunes" disclaimer… .

Posted by .

thanks folks. much appreciated. and yeah, you’re right matt. Thankfully, I do know all the tunes. Except for the ones bein composed as I type. But Il get there. cud be worse though, i cud follow the suggestions on the manual and plug in a drum machine or synth….