Your Favorite Harpists.

Your Favorite Harpists.

After looking up one of the tunes I found in a YouTube video from the link gam posted in my last thread, I discovered a harpist by the name of Grainne Hambly. Really nice stuff, I liked her playing her a lot.(She even had a recording of two of my favorite tunes in a set 🙂

After getting some of her music I shortly realized that I am severely lacking in harp recordings. So far I only know of her, Derek Bell, and Laoise Kelly. So who do you like and what albums would you recommend?

Re: Your Favorite Harpists.

I would recommend Dennis Doyle. He and I have played together for probably twenty years now. There is a kind of quiet peace to the way he plays that disguises how wonderfully musical his playing is.

http://english.glendale.cc.ca.us/musicstore.html

Posted by .

Sorry, they aren’t Sileas.

Google the Poozies, a band that had two harp players. They produced some good music over the years.

Michael Rooney is awesome.

Brian Warfield, of The Wolfe Tones, can play the harp. In fact, he plays it quite well.

Wow, I didn’t know there were so many! A lot of different styles up there too.

Hey Kenny, Clarsach is the same as a lap harp isn’t it? I’ve been trying to find "miniature" harps, but they are terribly inaccessible.

Anne Heymann? Not sure about the spelling.Encyclopaedic knowledge of all things harp, and more. And a while back I came across this young lady, I think from China or Japan looking at the characters underneath the clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMw3Poz1cKE

Thank you, gam - and Some great suggestions on this page so I’ve a fun morning ahead!

Maire Brennan, of Irish group, Clannad.

Thanks for sharing everyone! Some good stuff up there, a few neat tunes, and so many different styles! Makes me wanna go back to piano for a while! Can’t wait until I get to buy my new keyboard now 🙂

Mary Kate Lee of Harrisburg PA gets my vote!

Posted by .

Seana Davey and Michael Rooeny

Cormac Debarra.

I’ve been keen on Siobhan Armstrong and William Taylor - since I’ve been learning tunes from their recordings (wire harp). Also Allison Kinnard.

Posted by .

Thanks catty 🙂