New website - CelticMusic.tv

New website - CelticMusic.tv

Hi all,

Some of you may be interested in a new website I just launched - http://CelticMusic.tv/ . Basically, it’s a collection of high-quality videos (mostly professional multi-camera productions) of Celtic music (broadly construed) from a certain popular video sharing site. The idea being that you can just open it up and let it play continuously. It’s focused on trad/folk music - Irish, Scottish, and other.

It currently plays several hours worth of video clips, and I’m hoping to add to that as time goes on. There’s a suggestions box for viewer suggestions. I’m trying to respect artist/producer copyright and include only those clips that appear to have been uploaded legitimately, for example to a channel belonging to the artist, record label, festival, TV/radio station, etc. The embedded player shows the video title and includes a link back to the original video page.

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers!
Jonathan

Re: New website - CelticMusic.tv

Hey.. that’s awesome! Congratulation.. Great tool!

I clicked. I tried to "Skip" but I got the same video over and over of some kind of modern hymn. How do you get past that first one? Or is it in the early stages and the "Skip" button isn’t quite there yet? Mind, it could just be my computer, I suppose.

Uh oh, guess you’d better not look for much action from the members here. It seems most would rather slit their wrists than go to a site that offers "Celtic" music. I, on the other hand, am anxious to see what it has to offer.

Posted by .

Why are you saying that, Ailin? My point is entirely technical. And the only other post was entirely positive. Are you pre-judging what members here might be thinking?

Ben, sorry to hear you’re having problems with the Skip button. It was tested, of course, and works for me, but what works on one computer doesn’t necessarily work on the next. I’ll take a look and see if I can find the problem.

As for the use of the term "Celtic" music, well, irishmusic.tv was already taken, and I enjoy Scottish music as well so there is a fair bit of that in the mix too. As mentioned, it is mostly (though not necessarily exclusively) trad and folk style music.

The ‘skip’ button worked fine for me, using Internet Explorer v11. Some superb stuff there, indeed.

At the top RHS of the pane you can click on ‘watch on Youtube’ to get more info about the music that’s playing.

I did notice a lot of long faces in those clips. Not that anyone was unhappy, just that the aspect ratio was wrong.

Call it Celtic, Rangers or Irish trad, there’s some amazing playing and creativity going on there.

Great idea, Mr Hall 🙂

Ah. I wonder if it’s my version of IE? Hmmm … no, shouldn’t be - I’m on v11 too … I’ll try again. Third time lucky. 🙂

No. Different vid, but still stuck. I’ll try again tomorrow.

I only watched the first few, but the skip button works fine for me (Chrome) and there were no long faces. It looks promising — I’ll be back.

Posted by .

Don’t pay any attention to me. I’m just making a snarky reference to a recent thread where some scholars held forth on the appropriate (or inappropriate, depending on your viewpoint) use of the word "Celtic" with regards to ITM.

Posted by .

Thanks all for the comments. Unfortunately there are a few videos that have aspect ratio issues; I think that’s an issue with the originally uploaded video files (I didn’t upload these, they’re all existing clips from various channels). I didn’t think it enough of an issue to exclude the clips from the mix, though.

very nice site… like it. Will definitely be back.

It would be good if the user got some feedback when she pressed the "Nice!" button, like it changing color or something… right now it’s hard to know if your click registered.

Skip worked for me in Firefox, fwiw.

Well done, Jon - nice site.

…and ‘Celtic’ is much closer to the mark than ‘Slavic’ or ‘Turkic’😉

That’s nice!
And about "Celtic", very good choice, for there are more celtic tunes then Irish and Scotish.
Try to find Galician, Northern Portugal, Asturian, Breton and other celtic tunes.
It´s just a suggestion…
Anyway, great site, and thank you very much for it.
It’s already on my favorites!
Cheers from Portugal!

Having had a first glance, I think it’s indeed a very good selection of clips altogether. And I like the idea of having such a slim and straightforward interface for these (instead of yet another fussy YT playlist). Cool idea really! (Despite the C-word… 😛)

Oh, but I hope "skip" doesn’t thereby "dislike" the according clip on YT, as suggested by the icon…?

@teagan: Thanks for the feedback, that’s a great point about the button! It should now turn green after registering the click.

@sebastian: The ‘Nice’ and ‘Skip’ buttons aren’t connected to YouTube; the site just keeps track of that feedback internally. The thought is that eventually frequently skipped videos might be removed from the collection, etc.

I’m hoping that the skip issue is resolved now too after a little update I did yesterday.

Thanks all for the kind words!

Look great. Would like access to the youtube playline so I can skip forward on a track to see if it "gets going".

It does not seem to play on iPad, is it using the flash versions..?

Posted by .

@JonHall: "The ‘Nice’ and ‘Skip’ buttons aren’t connected to YouTube; the site just keeps track of that feedback internally. The thought is that eventually frequently skipped videos might be removed from the collection, etc."

Ah, okay, thanks. Maybe I should reconsider my usual zapping-behaviour anyway… 🙂

@cag Hmmm… it should automatically switch to the HTML5 player on iOS devices. If I recall correctly, there may be an issue with autoplay on those devices. Does it work if you click the ‘Play’ link above the video player to manually initiate playback? I’d like to get this working on the iPad but I don’t have one myself to test with, so your feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers!
Jonathan

Very nice! Works on my computer, but not the ol iPhone.

Thanks for this.

Not working on my ipad but can’t wait to try it on the computer. Mac friendly hopefully?