One for the road?

One for the road?

A bit of an unusual request for me: I’ve an Ipod stuffed to the gills with music, but I’m always looking for new stuff that floats my boat. I see a lot of the same bands when i look for new music, following links gets me back to the start eventually!

So, the kind of stuff I’ve got tons of: bavan, cormac breatnach, crossharbour,damien mullane, dave sheridan, martin hayes, diarmaid moynihan, ducie, flook, grada, kan, lunasa, lau, mike mcgoldrick, brian finnegan, millish, at first light, neill & cillian vallely, kevin crawford, oisin mac diarmada, guidewires, padraig rynne, slide, the olllam, teada………………………………. Probably forgot a few. Preferably but not essentially whistle players or flute players.

Re: One for the road?

I don’t see Matt Molloy among that list

…..or Mary Bergin

Posted by .

Ross Ainslie & Jarlath Henderson (I guess you’d have).

Silly wizard

Capercaillie

Doolin (I reckon you’ll love if you’ve not herd em yet).

Wot, no John McKenna?

Seriously, I notice that pretty much everything on you list is post-1990. There are recordings of Irish trad as far back as the wax cylinder days, so that’s a *whole century* of music you’re missing out on. I strongly recommend widening the timespan of your collection, to give you a broader view of traditional music across the ages and to help understand where the music, played by all those you have listed, comes from.

" The Allan Kelly Gang", which includes the wonderful Steph Geremia - can’t recommend her solo CD "The Open Road" highly enough. "Calico’s" CDs include Diarmuid Moynihan, who you mentioned. Since you seem to be predominantly interested in "modern" compositions, there’s a double CD by 2 brothers from Cork, John and Kevin Byrne which I picked up from them a few months ago. I haven’t posted it here yet, but will. I’m certain you’d like that, if you can get hold of it.

Posted by .

Thanks for the suggestions keep em coming!

I have mary bergin & matt molloy: amusingly these are on cassette tape, which takes me back to the days of wandering around with my tape player walkman and all of 2 CD’s worth of music in my pockets! Heard Doolin when i was out on tour in Gascony, they are a fine band. Stockton’s wing was a good shout, he is a fantastic flute player.

I tell you what, I’m loving the Junior Crehan/Eamon McGivney playing off Hotsauce’s list. Absolutely magic. Lovely drive to it.