Oban to Pitlochrie…. Local knowledge?

Oban to Pitlochrie…. Local knowledge?

Hi all. Meself and herself are in Scotland for a couple of weeks from tomorrow and we could use a bit of local knowledge. We have one day free, the 13th, with nothing planned and nothing booked. We’ll be in Oban on the 12th, and Pitlochrie on the 14th. Do any of our Scottish brethren or sistren have any ideas? We’re open to suggestions. A session would be nice. Either listening or joining in, depending on the ‘Irish-ness’ of course! We of course needn’t travel in a straight line from Oban to Pitlochrie. Happy to meander.

So, my celtic cousins. What’s to be seen, experienced and enjoyed.
Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Re: Oban to Pitlochrie…. Local knowledge?

There’s a Sunday afternoon/evening, sort of anything goes session at a place called The Barn just outside of Oban. As far as I know, that’s kind of it for that general area. There are a few musicians who live in Oban so there may be more things, but I’m not in the know with that crowd anymore.

The Clachaig Inn in Glencoe has music on at the weekends, usually gigs with Scottishy music, but they have had sessions in the past (no idea what the sessions are like — just seen them advertised when I’ve been in the pub, but not been there when one’s been on). Worth checking out what’s on, though not knowing your route, that could be on your way, or not. It is a very nice pub, though.

There are more sessions in Tayside — Perth and Dundee way. Speedwell in Dundee on a Tuesday. Don’t know if you are using the A85 via Perth for getting cross country, or going further north and going across on the A86 via Laggan, or something more obscure like the Loch Rannoch road.

If your travel plans are flexible, I think there may be a session in "The Three Bellies" on Bellies Brae, Kirriemuir on Tuesdays at 8pm - tel 01575-574889. However, I’m only there about once per annum ,so best you check first. The Taybank in Dunkeld (just down the road from Pitlochry), may have something on? See:

http://www.thetaybank.co.uk/forthcoming-events

Best of luck!

Posted by .

Oh yeah, the Taybank has sessions. You can also just stop in and play if you’re passing through Dunkeld. They are pretty amenable.

Little bit off route but a scenic drive - Plockton (famous for its use in films e.g. The Wicker Man" ) has at least three sessions (Tue,Wed,Thur) a week in a couple of the pubs - playing tends to be fast and furious

Am off to the Highlands in a week’s time staying near Glencoe and Fort William so does anyone know of sessions in this area ?

Fort Bill in my experience is pretty sparse for sessions, but as above, check out Clachaig in Glencoe.

A belated thank you for the recommendations. We ended up not bothering too much with the music in the end. Would have been a bit of a busman’s holiday. Well, two nights out of the fourteen we bothered a little bit…

A session with Pete Clark in the Taybank following his fiddle classes upstairs. Started sedate, wound up wild(ish - it was early). And a singer and stomach- Steinway player in the Black Cat in Edinburgh. Quiet pint and a listen. Very civilised!