Girvan - the session session?

Girvan - the session session?

Getting myself wound up for the trip to Girvan tomorrow afternoon. As usual we will be ensconced in the Ailsa Craig Hotel where the best music of the weekend is to be had [in my humble opinion].

We’ll be there from about 3.30 in the afternoon and I would love to meet up with any of ye who might be about.

The Ailsa also usually has the latest of the late night sessions so if you are stuck for an early morning session [that is, from midnight through to 6.30 a.m. or so] then pop along.

We also usually have our early session from about 11.00 a.m. in the Harbour Bar.

In any event I’m really looking forward to a weekend in the twilight zone!

Also all the best to those who are heading down to Dungarvan for the festival there!!

Re: Girvan - the session session?

Hi breandan
we will definately land in on you at the ailsa around 3.30 tommorrow. Countin the hour for a weekend of good tunes and craic.

john

Unfortunately, I still know more Scottish tunes than anything else but I’ll be in the Ailsa and Harbour for a drink, antway. It will depend on the repertoire if I play or not. There’s usually a few I know, especially when the session gets really big.

John

I’ve just finished loading our van up with all the camping gear and we’ll be hitting the M5 about 9 in the morning. I doubt we’ll be there for 3.30 tomorrow but shall certainly catch up with you all at some point. Perhaps we should all wear pink Carnations in our button holes so we can recognise fellow sessioneers 🙂

I’m heading down to Givan for the first time this weekend. Don’t know when as I have to wait for my girlfriend to get to Glasgow.

Make sure you guys give us a report back here!

I was there two years ago with an ex. What a great time that was. The music wasn’t bad either!
;

Hi Conan,
Both Stevie Mulhollands going with me. Stevie Banjo, his bro Brendan the fluter, and Rubberlips. How ye doin anyway.

John (fiddle) Mackel

Is there a website for Girvan?

Oh, yes, it’s between Ayr and Stranraer. It’s a shame I can’t make it. Maybe next time.

Thanks, Jim, very much! Looks like a fun time; I’d never heard of the thing before this. Have fun, all!

Oh, no. I really want to see Claire Mann.

I noticed that Setanta was on the Girvan program. Is this the same group from Seattle with Dale Russ?

It won’t be the same Setanta. This will be the Glasgow based group(going for at least 20 years) which features Colin McAllister from Northern Ireland(a stalwart of the west of Scotland scene and the Girvan Festival). I’m not sure who the present line up will be. They don’t tour or record that much and their repertoire includes a lot of traditional song as well as tunes.

Looking forward to this festival. Great sessions. Irish, Scottish, English. It’s perfectly located for all three traditions, although you get bluegrass too. Good mixture of songs, tunes etc. Something for everyone and you can pick and choose according to ability and taste.

Sessions all over town, eg Ailsa Craig, Harbour Bar are mainly Irish, The Westcliffe is more Scottish, The Southfield is a singer’s paradise, There’s also sessions in The Royal and Queen’s Hotels and several other venues. When you consider that there’s often 2 or 3 sessions happening in each venue at one time(Don’t worry, the pubs are big enough!), that’s a lot of music and drink. 🙂

John

Girvan was never a hot bed for anything when I was growing up in Stranraer - a trip up to the pool was big treat back then. Not that I would have been interested in trad playing back then anyway. Wish I was only an hour’s drive away now - have fun!

Hi folks i have being going to girvan for 18 years and i think this was the best year ever .I really enjoyed playing with the Mulhollands ,John Mackle and Chris? even though i only live 25 miles away from them in Ireland i only see them in Girvan but i hope the incoming year will be different
Be sure to be in contact Stevie fiddle and Stevie Banjo have my phone No
Michael K