New site feature: offline tunebook

New site feature: offline tunebook

I’ve been playing around with a new feature that I think might be useful: a way to access your tunebook even if you’re offline.

Here’s how it works:

First of all, you’ll need to be logged into The Session.

Visit https://thesession.org/tunebook (on a device you’re likely to take with you somewhere).

There you’ll see a list of all the tunes in your tunebook. Clicking on a tune title reveals the tune’s settings, and you can click on the "sheet music" button of any setting to generate the dots. You can also search through your tunebook using the form field at the top of the page.

(I recommend bookmarking this page. If you’re using a mobile device, add it to your home screen.)

Now if you’re out and about and you open up that link on the same device, everything will still be accessible.

It works particularly nicely on a tablet, like the iPad. It’s fine on phones, but of course the sheet music will be quite small.

Give it a whirl now, and then let me know if it works for you when you’re out and about away from an internet connection:

https://thesession.org/tunebook

Re: New site feature: offline tunebook

Genius idea! Many thanks for all you do.

Nice. Now all I need is one of those fancy devices that all you young folks tote around… 😉

Brilliant. Thank you.

Just to be clear, although I specifically mentioned tablets and phones, this offline feature will work equally well on laptops.*

*Provided you’re using a fairly modern browser: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11 or 10, etc. (if you’re using an older browser, you’ll still be able to view your tunebook but the offline functionality won’t work).

/like

Like it a Lot Jeremy.
Handy for recalling tune’s to memory in session’s.
I used just Midi’s, just to remember the start of tune’s I wanted to play.
But this is another Helpful, recalling system. Many thanks !
f4

P.S.
Is there an ABC Notation app, for my Samsung Mobile Phone ?

Fantastic, Jeremy — I just used the refresh function for the first time since bookmarking/downloading the pseudo-app. Is this affected by clearing browser cache? Basically, I’m interested in how you implemented this!

I’ve just noticed that this feature isn’t working for me anymore. On chrome, when I click refresh, the little "busy animation" just keeps going forever without actually loading anything and firefox doesn’t seem to do anything at all. I’ve tested on two android devices and my laptop. I also cleaned the cache on one of the androids, but it didn’t help.

Is it just me or is it broken for everyone?

Steve, I can’t seem to reproduce the problem you’re seeing but I’ll keep checking.

Ah, I think I’ve found the problem! Should be all fixed now (but the tunebook might need to be refreshed a few times to get the fix).

Thanks for looking into this Jeremy. Unfortunately I’m not seeing any different behaviour here, even after multiple refreshes and cache cleaning.

Having the same problem as Steve Owen … on my iPad. Refresh doesn’t seem to work and I can’t access tunes offline. Worked fine until recently …???

I see what’s happening now … on any device/PC.
If I go to my offline tunebook and click on a tune, instead of opening the tune at that point on the screen it opens at the bottom of the page.
I can’t then close it - and if I open another tune it comes up over the top of the first one, and so on until it’s just a complete mess!
This is happening on Chrome, Firefox and Safari …
Anyone else..?

Alastair, thanks for catching that (though it’s a different issue from the one described above). I’ve made some updates and everything should be working okay now. You might need to refresh the page a few times to get the changes.

Thanks Jeremy - that seems to have fixed the problem on iPad … but curiously not on PC which just hangs on "refresh" …

Actually, it looks like it’s just Chrome that still has a problem… all working fine on Firefox - I can live with that!

Thanks for your help Jeremy.