Has The Internet Been Good Or Bad To Music.?

Has The Internet Been Good Or Bad To Music.?

This has been bugging me for some time, so I thought I might as well throw it out, for a debate. Nearly everything can be found on the internet now, but for this debate, I will stick to the musical side of it, naturally enough. The days of going into a music shop and browsing, had something special. You had to pay for what you wanted. Being of the 70’s and 80’s era, I really miss that method of buying music. The next generation probably won’t know anything about c.d’s. The internet has finished all that off, because everyone is downloading music. Live music has also had a bit of a battering, here in Ireland. People are deserting the pubs. If they want to hear music, they can click a mouse and get it in a jiffy. Has the internet been a help or a hindrance, I wonder.? I can expect some strong views directed at me, for this topic.

Re: Has The Internet Been Good Or Bad To Music.?

Not "everyone" is downloading music. There were about 20 CDs launched at the Willie Clancy week. They wouldn’t make them if they couldn’t sell them. My brother’s been making CDs in Scotland for about 20 years now - he’s still as busy as ever.
The music will survive the internet.

Posted by .

Let’s hope it will. I wonder how long more, c.d’s will be around.? I hope, it will be for a few more years.

I think its a useful tool, its great if your researching a tune and want to listen to a few ways to play, it and your right sessions these days are getting harder to find, especially those that like to introduce new tunes . Its no doubt different in the cities.
Like all technology cds like the wax clyinder etc.will have a limited life as new ways come along to record everything gets smaller all the time.

I think the internet stimulates interest in the different kinds of music. If I find something really good on YouTube I usually end up buying the cd - I’d probably never have found or bought it otherwise. And amateur or semi-professional musicians posting on the internet inspire others to take up music too. I think this is a great time for music of all sorts. Floreat musica hibernica!

No loitering away in shady record stores, no scratches on your favourite tracks, no lending out CDs you’ll never get back, no bothering with bulky vinyls… just tearing your hear when the hard disk crashes. 🙁

Good For Learning Tune’s. I never had such a source, and even tune’s I have
been playing wrong, I can now go, and Correct.
Also there some good tune’s on there on Video of older Styles and wasy of playing the
Traditional Music. Irish, Scot’s, English, Whatever. Ironically, it may even be a way of
keep the old styles alive . Some Fiddle Sample’s !
f4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0CTHmQ2Jus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_9r0kSGYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1YQZoFL1QQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v😲75hhiROsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX9LO114wm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hc49RxyLsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7c0GTVh60

* And Im Sure there is Many More .

I have found musicians on the internet that I would never have probably found out about, and that has led me to buy their albums.

Downloading is a problem now for artists, but finding Irish music for downloading is pretty difficult.

But I will agree that the internet is a business destroyer. It has ruined more businesses than anything else. People don’t even have to leave their houses to buy anything anymore. Hell, even most teachers now rely so much on the internet for their own teaching.

Awesome stuff Fiddle4! The internet has been good for music! In the 70s-80s it was much more difficult to find music that was out of the main stream. I remember those days well, having always been ‘out of the main stream.’ There’s a lot of reasons for the decline of live music but I don’t believe that the internet is one of them.

Music as ‘a business’ is different than ‘music’. I’m sure the internet has hurt the ‘business’ of music. Personally I couldn’t care less about that. Never have never will….

Re: Have All These Questions Been Good Or Bad To Music.?

Regarding sharing music, I don’t think that the internet has had as big an impact as the introduction of recorded music did a century ago. It is just another way of distributing recordings. The lessening need for a physical product, and the simplicity of duplicating, has had an impact on the big business of music, but less impact on folk and traditional music, which had never really been a part of that big business anyhow.
The real impact of the internet has been on community—people with common interests sharing information, ideas (and unfortunately, occasional insults) all around the world. It is a great way to find out about musicians you might never have heard about, ask questions, and share other information. For example, without the internet, this discussion wouldn’t be happening…

Yes.

Trust you, Rosie! (sigh…)

Yes, it’s been good to music (but I think you meant to say ‘Good Or Bad For Music’).

On the plus side, loads of exposure to all manner of new music and artists - on the minus side, all those wobbly Youtube clips recorded on an efn stupid cell phone.

If it weren’t for the internet, I wouldn’t have found this site.

Hahaha…. Is there irony in asking this question on an internet site? If it weren’t for the internet, we might have to talk to people face to face. Terrifying.

The internet has brought benefits to music - but equally, it has also brought dis-benefits. If you could somehow quantify the benefits and dis-benefits, you would probably find that the one equalled the other.

Newton’s Third Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Or in common parlance: There is no such thing as as a free lunch!

I find the internet, YouTube in particular, has been a great source of musical information. I’ve learned more in these past few years with YouTube than i did in than i did in the first 25 years of my musicianship.

For sure ‘music’ and the ‘business of music’ are two separate things, but when it comes to music on the internet then they’re inextricably linked and, personally, I do care about the business of music. Musicians need to eat just the same as anyone else.

Assuming you have an appropriate device and reasonable speed of access (this is always worth saying, because there’s still plenty who don’t), the internet gives us easy and ‘free’ access to recorded music, with or without visual images, in a quantity that was pretty much inconceivable less than a generation ago.

But the downside is that the value of recorded music has been decimated, and without that value then it’s difficult to see how things can develop in a way that keeps musicians centre-stage. Because money is being made from music on the internet, it’s just that it’s not being made by anyone who gives a damn.

Yes, Google, and in particular their child YouTube, that’s who I’m calling out.

It’s been brilliant for music, and in particular folk music. Never was it easier to be a folkie. Search for a tune, research the background of a song, compare versions, buy and sell instruments, give and take lessons, discuss music, songs or instruments. We’re no longer alone, no matter where we are.

But perhaps it’s a mixed blessing for those seeking to make their living as performing artists in the folk music genre? But wasn’t that always a privilege and not a right?

I’m not sure it is a privilege. Is it not just a job and, as such, subject to the same rules as all paid work?