Joining dj Kenny, what should I play ?

Joining dj Kenny, what should I play ?

I’m hitting the airwaves or stream waves. This weekend sees the launch of a Charleston WV, USA, Metro area, ‘Celtic’ music radio program, outside of Charleston you will be able to stream it on your computer. The show will promote regional groups, events, have weekly guests and play a mixture of new and old ‘Celtic’ styles. This week our featured album is by Scottish group Breabach. My guest will be hammer dulcimer player Burr Beard, who played, still does with Pittsburgh based Devlish Mary. (Tin Whistle ‘guru’ LE McCollogh guests with the group). That could be an interesting discussion: https://www.facebook.com/musicintheeglen

Most of my music is in the old masters era, what new groups should I be playing ? If anyone wants to send me something that would be great as well, or by chance your passing through Charleston you could be a guest. Thanks, Chris.

Re: Joining dj Kenny, what should I play ?

Hi Chris - welcome to the club. They haven’t pulled the plug on us yet here in Aberdeen, so if it helps, here’s what we’ve been up to so far. You’re definitely on the right track when you say "The show will promote regional groups, events, have weekly guests and play a mixture of new and old ‘Celtic’ styles". It’s a great thing to be able to promote local events and local musicians. In the first few programmes, my co-presenter, Colin Edwards and I were able to get a couple of guests into the studio - Aberdeen singer Alan Carr, who’s been living in the States for over 20 years now, was back to do a couple of gigs, so we got him into the studio for a chat and to play a few tracks. The following week we had a musician named Charlie West in, who is "director" [ or similar ] of the Stonehaven Folk Festival. He was able to run through the guest list and list of events, select some tracks to play, tell us about what was happening at the festival, so it was a good "plug" for a local music festival. A couple of weeks later, I was back from the Willie Clancy week, so that gave me the excuse to play a lot of new releases I’d picked up over there. The World Pipe Band Championship took place in Glasgow towards the end of August, so we did a programme on various types of bagpipes and their music. The last 2 programmes have pushed the new term of the "Scottish Culture & Traditions" group here in Aberdeen who run classes in traditional Scottish music and dance, and start a new ten week term a week on Monday. We got the director of the organisation in to tell us a bit about the history of the organisation and what it was looking to do in the future. We invited the tutors and organisers to suggest tracks to play on the show, and got 2 programmes out of it - some very good suggestions. I was a bit hesitant about "Donald Where’s Yer Troosers" by Andy Stewart, but we thought "what the hell - it’s a request" and went with it. With a bit of luck, we might have a visit from Scottish flute player Calum Stewart in 2 weeks time, as he’s passing through Aberdeen on his way North. That programme will be a "flute special" if I get my way.
Colin and I try to set some sort of "theme" to each programme, rather than just play a series of disjointed tracks. We also try to make the programme relevant to any musical events going on around the time of the show. I always ask myself "why am I playing this ?", and "what can I say about it ?". Obviously, anything I play is because I think it’s a good piece of music, but your audience might need a bit more than that, because you always have to remember, they’re most probably not fanatics like us ! We do still have the occasional screw-up, but we just laugh it off, and we are getting better at it. All of the programme presenters on "SHMU FM" are volunteers - enthusiasts with a CD collection who’ve had a bit of training. It’s not always slick, but it comes from the heart.
Here’s the link to the latest programme -

http://www.shmu.org.uk/fm/shows/wednesday-session

Here’s a thought - you know how towns "twin" with each other ? Why don’t we "twin" our programmes ? I’ve had a few promo CDs of recent releases from Scotland sent to me. I’m sure these musicians would love to get some airplay in the US. I have a couple of CDs I could send you for your programme. If you get any promos in, send them to me once you’ve used them for your own programme, and we’ll broadcast some tracks here. Send me a PM with your address - I’ll kick it off.
All the best, Kenny

Posted by .

Thank you Kenny, for your long reply, I listened in to the show, I think a podcast on the website, you’ve got an engaging radio voice, and a deep knowledge, its what listeners want otherwise they could just line something up on ‘pandify’ ! We are lucky that we have a 30 year old music and dance group that usually bring 1 ‘Celtic’ group in for their concert series, The Battlefield Band, Full Set, Dervish, Girsa, have been recent visitors, and I hope to start a trend getting this years concert group in on the show. A lot of my guests will be more mundane, but all have interesting back stories, Irish mother/sessioned in Ireland, Dublin born singer songwriter, member of local pipe band, celtic harpist, some of them have recordings to promote, we’ll also play their favorite tracks. One guest is travelling over to Scotland soon for the book release about the Scots/Irish/Appalachian connection that Fiona Ritchie is connected with. So she’ll be on after her trip to talk about it. We also have Mountain Stage.org look it up, they have shows that sometimes bring in ‘Celtic’ groups, Solas, James Keane. Even saw your pals ‘the proclaimers’ once ! The station sounds very similar and operates very like yours, volunteers, we have a low band fm license, which basically serves our ‘metro’ area. We need to move the antennae, so we are only streaming at the moment., Lots of specialized music shows, old time, blues, singer songwriter, the main programming is ‘americana’. I’m up for a ‘twinning’, and maybe in a month can send you a package as well. I’ll check with where Pam is going, when she travels to Scotland, but she’s been playing music with her group Mountain Thyme for over 30 years, and would maybe make a very interesting guest if you want some Appalachian flavored bouzouki. Good Luck and Thanks.

Hi there, plantgnome, that sounds super!

You know, I almost didn;t learn about your show, because I didn’t "get" it from the subject line. I just wonder if you want to make sure people know about the show somehow?

I am new(ish) to trad but may have some leads that are different from others (or not different):
Darren McMullen, Shoes for Molly is really special; and Loch Lomond is stunning:
http://darrenmcmullen.com/store

Also, he is in a new-ish band called Coig with some other great players. All of whom are interesting too. There ae three fiddlers in the band, all of whom have interesting stuff on their own.

Have you run into this recording?
It has some really interesting mashups.
http://www.scott-macmillan.ca/music/other/bach-meets-cape-breton/

You must be "all over" people like John Doyle already. Grey Larsen?

I’m curious as to whether this fits, or is obvious, or is off the map. 🙂

Is the FB page for the show the one you give there? FB is acting up right now, so I could not be sure.

Rose Marie, the link is working for me, thank you for the suggestions of Cape Breton players, I have a friend who goes up their for fiddle workshops, he’s promised me access to his collection just havn’t got their yet. John Doyle has been a regular visitor to Charleston over the years as well. As far as the curious header, that’s the nature of this place, ha ha. Followers of the board may have read Kenny’s announcement a few weeks ago and get it. Most discussion title’s are not exactly explicit and if they are, they usually end up being about something else ! Thanks, again, Chris.

Rose Marie - apologies for inadvertently causing confusion. Chris was referring to a discussion I posted a wee while back. Here’s the link, if you’re at all interested. Best wishes, Kenny

https://thesession.org/discussions/34425

Posted by .