Rare Dixon Low D’s

Re: Rare Dixon Low D’s

Oh, interesting… so Dixon already abandoned the Trad low D. Looks like the equally recent alto line is still in production though, is it?

The alto’s are still available on Big Whistle (and elsewhere for that matter) but oddly enough they’ve never been listed on the Dixon website, I don’t know if these are old stock or if they too are being phased out? The Trad Low D was always a mystery, it’s never been on the Dixon site, before this sale it was never on the Big Whistle site, the only place I ever saw it was the Hobgoblin site. If they were £70 - 75 touch I would take a chance with one, but I would be worried that if the head cracked (a know issue with the Trad High D) would I be able to get it replaced?

Posted .

I have a Trad Low F that plays pretty well! It’s definitly no goldie but for a "lower end" affordable whistle, it’s definitly not bad. So I assume the low D is just as well for what is is!

It is weird that the low Trad whistles by Dixon are obsolete though. I bought my Trad Low F from hobgoblin and I haven’t seen any since.

Low F that’s the first I’ve heard about that one I thought the Alto stopped at Low G? Its’ equally weird how badly they were promoted and distributed too. Thanks for the opinion on the Low F I’d go for one of those or the Low D if the price was right. I picked up a Kerry Optima Fixed Low D a couple of weeks ago for £59.00 think that will be hard to beat at that price, I’m hoping Kerry will do the same in Low Eb.

Posted .

Yes, weird indeed. As you said they’ve never even been on Dixon’s official site… no wonder they didn’t sell. Apart from HG I’ve only seen them at folkfriends.de so far; in case you haven’t come across this already, they make quite nice YT clips presenting their instruments (including some of the whistles in question): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-hr-f_tEE

… which is one of the very few evidences that these whistles actually do exist. 🙂

I have one of the Dixon conical all-plastic Low Ds and it’s a very sweet player and probably the most ergonomic Low D ever, thin and light and close finger spacing.

Too bad the 2nd octave is very flat. I sure wish it wasn’t that way.

If it were cheaper I might try it out.

I have the alto A trad. I think it’s a pretty nice whistle, especially if you like generation Bb whistles and would like something a tad bit similar in a lower pitch (with a tiny bit of breathiness up top). I’ve had no problems with the head cracking, but it gets seriously stuck onto the tube and is almost impossible to get off. I left it where it’s best in tune at normal conditions in my home, and I’m pretty sure it’s fused to the tube in that spot by now. I wonder if it’s why they discontinued these?

I have the dixon low d in aluminium body it also came as a duo with a flute head so doubles as a flute head hasnt cracked but waltons sell replacement heads for them