Dadgad accompanying (only): who do you listen to?

Dadgad accompanying (only): who do you listen to?

Hello everyone,
Briag from Brittany.

I would very much like to know who are your references when it come to accompanying session tunes in DADAGAD. I m not looking at solo guitarists playing melodies +chords here. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Glad to be here and hope that this discussion isn’t redundant…

Posted by .

Re: Dadgad accompanying (only): who do you listen to?

William Coulter does play ‘melodies+chords’, but he also plays a lot of DADGAD accompaniment with other musicians on his CDs. Another nice thing is that he has at least one book out there - Celtic Crossings - which contains standard notation and tablature for the tunes on that CD, including the accompaniment.

Other DADGAD players out there from whom you can find CDs with their accompaniment of ITM would be Randal Bays, Zan McLeod, Dáithí Sproule, Pierre Bensusan (though he does a lot of music besides Irish traditional), and John Sherman, to name a few of the more prominent.

Hope this helps.

Posted by .

Ed Boyd?

Thank you tom and dfost for your prompt answers 🙂 🙂

I m going to have a listen to them. I know bensusan of course but at the moment i’m really looking at listening to players accompanying traditionnal irish (or scottish) tunes and no personnal compositions. Ive recently followed MJ Mcmahon’s courses on OAIM ‘s website and now trying to follow the trad way of playing. Also if you have albums titles in particular covering a max amount of trad tunes…
I know of Planxty and Lunasa a little but when you re new to it it can be quite hard to dissociate standards from the bands’ own compositions….

Anyway, i really do appreciate your help so thanks again!

Kenavo

Posted by .

I don’t really like playing in DADGAD myself but for me Micheal O’Domhnaill set the standard.

Jim Murray plays in Double-Drop-D (DADGBD) sometimes too. Slightly different I know.

You may look into Soig Siberil - he’s in your area: http://soigsiberil.com/?RUB=index&LANG=fr
and listen to the work he did with the Celtic Fiddle Festival - Kevin Burke, Johnny Cunningham, and Christian Lamaitre. I think it was the first CD, recorded in ’94 or so.

I agree with 5stringfool:
Mícheál Ó Domhnaill’s work would be very relevant to what you are trying to do. I’d suggest the two albums he recorded with Kevin Burke and the more recent one he did with Paddy Glackin.
And may he rest in peace.

Dick Gaughan for songs and some tunes.

I thought the backing by Randall Bays on Martin Hayes first recording back in the 90s was outstanding. I was particularly taken with his ideas for “Morning Star”, very original and very tasteful.