What are fun Fiddle or Tin Whistle reels or jigs that can make people dance?

What are fun Fiddle or Tin Whistle reels or jigs that can make people dance?

any nice dancing songs, I want to play Irish tunes that really give the Irish feel of dancing and moving with the music, I just want to make my pals moving

Re: What are fun Fiddle or Tin Whistle reels or jigs that can make people dance?

Rather than specific tunes, it’s the way they’re played that makes people want to dance.

Re: What are fun Fiddle or Tin Whistle reels or jigs that can make people dance?

Well, that depends, how good are you with getting the swing into the music? it’s not the tunes themselves that make the music danceable, it’s the rhythm.

…and you can also make any tune UN-danceable.

When it comes to “making” people dance, you need tunes from the fairies. Great care is needed, always make sure you keep any promises……

Mark’s comment to you is spot on, IMHO.
A great deal of fine listening music from the Irish Traditional realm
has moved far away from “danceable”, being meant for just that -
listening.

I recommend to you, Ben, what my teacher recommended to me -
watch (and perhaps even try out) all the traditional dancing you can, and
try to get the “swing”of the playing. If you can grasp that, you should have
your compass setting to navigate most tunes, I should think.

And remember - ALL of these dance tunes were originally considered “fun” tunes
that should make people want to dance. 🙂

Posted by .

Piece: Your absloutely right when it comes to making people want to Dance .
f4
A/ < try to get the “swing”of the playing. If you can grasp that, you should have
your compass setting to navigate most tunes, >
’ Swing ’
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhipL1Ydro

B/ < considered “fun” tunes that should make people want to dance >
’ Fun Tune’s ’
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkeTP6x1tF8

’The Lilting Banshee“ - nice little toe tapper ;)

Fiddle4:
Thank you for my teacher - if I have any valid or timely points to make,
I usually know where I got them. 😉

Also:
Ben, you did ask for some suggestions as to specific tunes.
For jigs I will offer these: The Blarney Pilgrim, Out On The Ocean, Joy Of My Life -
if you do not already know these, they should be handy to know at many session.
For reels: Last Night’s Fun, The Banshee, The Chicago, Red haired Boy (a hornpipes that
works quite well as a reel, IMHO).

These occur to me at the moment, old standbys for me at least. But I am not infrequently
startled to hear a tune I had long ago discarded or passed over given new life and energy
at the hands of another musician. And, occasionally, I will pull out a tune I knew and played
many years ago and those around me will hear it the way I heard it the first time. They find it
catchy, different, and want to play with it - the good tunes never die, they simply take a break
before they rise from the ashes to delight and inspire us again.For me, that is part of the magic
of this stuff I love - everything old is new again, and again, and again.

BTW: The best place to hide a real cracker of a tune is at the bottom of page two hundred and something
of a “complete” collection of Irish dance tunes.
Example: You like slip jigs? Brew a pot of tea, get a comfy chair and your instruments
about you, and try running through all the slips and hops in O’Neill’s and Roche and such.
I assure you there is gold hid in them thar hills!

I do ramble on…

Posted by .

Yes, but it’s still all in the playing of them, the accent, the lift, the swing.
Any tune will do, it’s all down to the player.

Hornpipes, for definite.

That is to say - tunes like The Harvest Home Hornpipe, The Boys Of Blue Hill, Off To California, and/or others in that rhythm.

I have found when busking in the street that this particular rhythm gets little kiddies dancing up and down like no other.

Their mummy will often give them 20p to put in your hat or case. If there are 2 or 3 kiddies, that is 2 or 3 X 20p.

She may contemplate raptly your exquisite music and noble craggy form.

Then, in my experience, she will vanish in the crowd like a stoat in grass. I suppose the kiddies vanish too, though I don’t watch them as intently. But you will still be richer by, maybe, 60p, and this can happen quite regularly, in out-of-school times.

But seriously - I do think the hornpipe rhythm has a particular capacity to get people up and dancing, or at any rate bopping about.

“I do think the hornpipe rhythm has a particular capacity to get people up and dancing, or at any rate bopping about.”

Hornpipes are lovely and lively, I agree.

Still, I cannot help but notice how many exotic cultures far flung from Ireland have invested in music in jig time, single or double. It seems to have evolved everywhere kids grow up skipping and hopping (both natural dance steps, by the way). That infectious, bouncy, horse-at-a-canter rhythm has apparently inspired composers and dancers in Galicia, Switzerland, Brittany, the Basque country, all around the Med, Kurdistan, Mongolia, India, Nepal, and even Manchester.

It is just amazing.

Posted by .

fiddle 4, thanks for posting those 3 Jackie Daly/Seamus Creagh vids, absolutely classic.