‘Loud’ High D Comparison

‘Loud’ High D Comparison

Looking for a ‘loudish’ session, band, busking high D. I’ve read that the Oak or Feadog Pro may do the job? Can anyone compare the two for me please?

Posted .

Re: ‘Loud’ High D Comparison

I haven’t played an Oak, and the Feadógs I’ve tried weren’t particularly loud but I have no idea if they were ‘Pro’. If you want a whistle that packs a bit of a punch, especially for busking or loud sessions, it may be above your budget but I really recommend Michael Burke’s wide bore whistles. I don’t play mine much at smaller sessions because it’s a bit *too* loud for my liking, but if you want something loud and (importantly for sessions/bands) with decent tuning, you can’t go wrong with a Burke.

I agree with Colman, you can’t go wrong with a Burke.
But if it’s out of your price range, check out a Susato.
They can be annoyingly loud.

The loudest high D out there is the Chieftain Mezzo D - and while it’s a hard one to tame, it cuts through like nothing else.

If you want volume go for susato and not expensive

I often get complains that my Susato is loud. Which makes me 🙂

It’s clean and crisp, though. That’s what I like about it.

I’m really surprised by the Susato suggestions, I have a low Eb that is a bit on the quite side?

Posted .

‘Quiet’

Posted .

Susato D is loud!

Susato D is the whistle you want if you intend to compete with automobile engines and the din of modern life.

Are they high Susato’s any easier to play than the low ones? I’ve never been able to get along with that huge mouthpiece on my low Eb

Posted .

With whistles, the bigger the bore diameter vis-à-vis the bore length the stronger the low octave is and the more recalcitrant the high notes in the 2nd octave become. If the bore is wide enough the 2nd octave won’t sound at all (obviously whistlemakers avoid that!)

The loudest High D’s I’ve owned or tried over the last 35 years (unscientific, because I didn’t have a way to measure decibels) were

1) an old-style Susato machined from PVC stock with the wooden block, one piece, that I got c1980. It had an absurdly large bore, like a Generation Bb, and it could be heard over ten accordions

2) old Overton high D from the 1980s

3) newer injection-moulded Susato from the 1990s, two piece

4) Burke "session bore" in alloy/aluminum

I didn’t care for the way the Susatos or the Overton played at all. The 2nd octave had to be blown very strongly to sound, the tone up there sounded like you were shouting the notes rather than singing them, and it was tricky jumping between the octaves. High B was especially touchy, verging to harshness.

The Burke ‘Session Bore’ high D in aluminum is a great player! It has good volume but the 2nd octave is more civilised and sweeter and easier than those other loud High D’s. However the 2nd octave is touchier than the 2nd octave of smaller-bore whistles such as the Burke Narrow Bore, Feadogs, Generations, Sindts, etc etc.

The OP is asking about High D’s, but I will say, having owned Susatos in every key from High D down to the huge Low C, that in my opinion Susatos get better as they get lower. That big Low C is one of the most expressive whistles I’ve ever played, and Susato Low D’s are pretty nice.

About the Susato mouthpiece, yes they use the same style on all their whistles which means on the low E, Eb, D, and C it’s a big fat thing. I like the MK Low D with its slender beak mouthpiece.

@David Levine.

Just had a look at the site. A first glance would suggest ‘an exact copy of’, rather that ‘as good as’!

I use an Elfsong Jasper or a Syn for a high D in sessions. The Jasper’s high B is a bit shrill to me (I’m told the handmade ones don’t have that issue but that was a bit out of my price range at the time), but otherwise both octaves are crisp and bright. The Syn is a great all-around instrument which I bought as part of a three-whistle set (D, C, Eb) all of which I love playing.

While I love my Killarney, I’d call it moderate in volume. Great whistle though…and aren’t all whistles that are not Generations or Clarkes derivative of all other whistles? Seriously, there are only so many designs one can make for a whistle, yet I’ve never heard a Feadog, Oak, Claire, Waltons, Eagle, or any other Gen like whistle considered a rip-off or exact copy of a Generation…yet they ALL are. Yes, the Killarney is very similar to a Sindt but the Sindt tube is pretty much a rip-off of a classic Gen or Oak tube and I’d swear I’ve seen Sindt-like heads on whistles before I ever saw a Sindt.

Back on topic…the Susato D is loud, loud, loud. A Dixon heavy brass tube D (not the trad) is pretty darn loud, too.

Eric

Apparently the Susato High D is available in two bore sizes, ‘S’ and ‘VSB’ which would you recommend? Also how did you get on with that odd mouthpiece? I have a Susato Low Eb and really cannot get on with the mouthpiece at all. I actually sent an email to Susato asking if I would be able to sand down the mouthpiece ( I was concerned the block may be hollow) I received a scary (borderline abusive) email from a gentleman, demanding that I leave ‘HIS beautiful mouthpiece alone’ and stating that I needed to learn to ‘play the whistle as it is/1000’s around the world use them without complaint/and I was welcome to return it for a refund’ (I did explain I bought it used and I was in the UK) I forgot all about this ‘tirade’ but for a couple of weeks afterwards I kept receiving emails from this chap asking if ‘I’d ruined his whistle yet/learned to play it yet?’ etc.

So let that be a lesson to you all, don’t take the sander to your Susato and if you do, don’t tell them!!!

Posted .