Trad Musicians, Are You Always Strictly Traditional.? What Musical Styles Do you listen To, When you Want To Take A Break From Trad.?

Trad Musicians, Are You Always Strictly Traditional.? What Musical Styles Do you listen To, When you Want To Take A Break From Trad.?

I have a large musical taste, and listen to other styles. I suppose here in Ireland, people were always influenced by other types of music. I listen to some classical, jazz, country music, romantic songs, 50’s and 60’s style pop music, and crooners. I also listen to a lot of music from strictly Irish musical styles, such as ballad groups and showbands. I find, it is good to break free from the regular thing, and look for and listen to something different. It works for me. What type of music do other members listen to, when they are looking for a change in style.?

Re: Trad Musicians, Are You Always Strictly Traditional.? What Musical Styles Do you listen To, When you Want To Take A Break From Trad.?

A break from trad? huh why would that happen? 😉 seriously though I do sometimes listen to Rai, occasionally a blast of metal. Reggae if Im with people who arent trad heads , but Im basically listening to solo pipe music and fiddle , no bands , just the pure drop…. its simply what Im into.

Re: Trad Musicians, Are You Always Strictly Traditional.? What Musical Styles Do you listen To, When you Want To Take A Break From Trad.?

Just been listening to The Beach Boys. If Brian Wilson played trad…

Most of the music I listen to is my own playing and those of friends in sessions, plus recordings of tunes I like/know/want to learn, so 90% of the music in my life is Irish traditional music. I’ve been listening a bit to Regina Spektor around the house, as my wife and daughter are quite keen on her. She’s amazing. I’ll sometimes listen to American country music from the golden age (Bob Wills, Hank Williams). I like American standards by people like Hoagy Carmichael and Cole Porter. A weird wild card: I listen to techno/electronica when I need to focus on work—it’s like driving, motivational muzak that doesn’t demand too much attention.

To get away fron Trad, Classical anything from, Mozart to Mahler, Bach to Beethoven.
But, I am very into English 20th Century Composer’s just now.
In fact, I was just listening to this guy, and came down the stairs, Computer on, and read this post 🙂
f4
Arthur Bliss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsqdX8-Jm8

I’ll give you some picks from each letter of the alphabet on my iPod. These are all albums:
Alan Parsons
Barenaked Ladies
Billy Joel
Samuel Barber
Chumbawamba
Colin Hay
Counting Crows
Diana Krall
Dixie Chicks
Elvis Costello
Eric Clapton
Frank Sinatra
Gordon Lightfoot
Harry Chapin
Heart
Holst
Ian Anderson
Julian Bream
Karl Jenkins
Kate Wolf
Les Miserables
Manhattan Transfer
Marc Cohn
Norah Jones
Oak Ridge Boys
Paul Simon
Phillip Glass
Pretenders
Rickie Lee Jones
Rocky Horror Show
Rossini
Santana
Sarah McLachlan
Seal
Stan Rogers
Sting
Susan Boyle
The Who
Tracy Chapman
Vaughan-Williams
Wynonna Judd
Yanni

Posted by .

For the last couple of days I’ve been listening to a modern opera, Weakness, by Princeton composer Barbara White. It’s based on a Celtic myth and although very modern in style is very expressive and overtly emotive, and quite lovely.

I listen to drive time Radio 3 (a UK classical station). As well as lots of classical, there’s a fair slice of jazz on Saturday, and world music sometimes.

When I’ve got time, I particularly like listening to baroque music CDs, as well as some English trad and the whole panoply of western swing/bluegrass/old time. Gipsy jazz, and bebop too.

Posted by .

All sorts, I suppose. Beethoven, Sibelius, JS Bach, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Judee Sill, Karine Polwart, Yes, Free, 10cc, Alman Bros. Band, Country Gazette, NGDB, The Beatles, Roy Orbison, Abba, Cuban and other Latin music, Italian accordian, Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, Nadka Karadjova…to name a few.
One thing I don’t like though - crap music. Why is it crap? Cos I don’t like it. Why not? - cos it’s crap 🙂

These days it is nearly 100% ITM. Proper listening requires energy, and I reserve that for trad.

Classical, especially early (pre-1750) music; hard/southern rock; classic rock; "traditional" heavy metal. On long drives, all of the above plus classic country & western, musically and lyrically clever modern country (yes, there is such a thing), and bombastic film scores. For falling asleep, smooth jazz and space music (instrumental or electronic). Sometimes I listen mindfully to music, and the rest of the time, music is almost always playing in the background.

What I play, when I’m not playing ITM, is Scottish and English trad, early music, and classical piano standards from my youth.*

*I was pretty good at 16, but I never got any better. My piano playing didn’t improve either. ;^)

Singer-songwriter types that inhabit that inhabit a range in that ambiguous space between folk and easygoing rock, i.e. The Indigo Girls, Dar Williams, Carrie Newcomer, Paul Simon, etc. etc.

Bluegrass.

My iPod is really very boring.

I have loved Punk and related styles (Oi!, Ska, Celtic Punk etc.) since my early teens. I have noticed that when you tell most trad musicians this they often give you a shifty look like you might bring your electric guitar and a 40 to the session haha. Some bands I enjoy would be:

Punk:
The Clash
Exploited
Wire
Ramones
Blondie
Stiff Little Fingers
Undertones
GBH
Patti Smith
Dead Kennedys
Anti-Pasti

Oi!:
The Business
Cock Sparrer
Condemned 84
Cockney Rejects
Angelic Upstarts
Argy Bargy
Blitz
Menace
Sham 69
4 Skins

Hardcore:
Minor Threat
Agnostic Front
Warzone
Judge
Bad Brains
Cro-Mags
Cause for Alarm
Snapcase
Jerry’s Kids
Out of Order
9 Shocks Terror

Celtic Punk:
Pogues
Real McKenzies
Dropkick Murphys (mostly their older stuff)
Flogging Molly
….and Newfoundland Pub bands that last a summer

Anarcho Punk:
Severed Head of State
Crass
Icons of Filth
Discharge
Conflict
Oi Polloi (who recently released an album sung entirely in Scots Gaelic)

Funny - Irish trad started out for me as a break from the regular thing. Now, several years in, it *is* the regular thing for me (in addition, of course, to classical and jazz, which have been the regular thing for me for a bit longer). In addition to the music I play, I like to listen to Japanese music, Indian music, Cajun music, South African choral music, traditional West African music, Pink Floyd, CCR, and I could keep going.

But, just so you don’t think I’m the kind of smug self-righteous so-and-so who claims to ‘just like all the different kinds of music’, I’ll tell you I can’t abide hip-hop, modern pop/country music, and Javanese gamelan stuff. Not because I think it’s bad; because I, personally, don’t like it.

(Except, most modern pop/country music *is* bad. In my humble opinion, of course.)

I listen almost exclusively to trad or related fusion stuff on my car cd player. Not that my man doesn’t like it, but I don’t want to overload him. In the house, my preferences would be singer/songwriters like Joni Mitchell, Ben Harper, Indigo Girls, Neil Young or bands like Cowboy Junkies or some of the amazing New Zealand roots-based stuff like Kora, Fat Freddy’s Drop, Trinity Roots. Lately I’ve volunteered to play music for a group learning European Regional dancing, so I’ve been listening to the tunes I’m learning for that and really enjoying them - particularly the ones in 7/8 time!

Jazz - Big Band -Swing - Classical - Continental Accordion - Folk - Classical - Easy Listening - Good Pop and Rock - Anything with a melody that I could whistle

Townes Van Zandt

Posted by .

Mostly trad i must admit. But I do listen to other stuff,

Fiona Apple, Chris Thile, John Butler Trio, Gangstagrass,Opeth are probably the most random stuff i like and listen to regularly

"Trad Musicians, Are You Always Strictly Traditional" - I’d be really curious to know if there are folks out there who truly only listen to one or two styles of music. I find the concept to be completely foreign to me, so I’d love to hear from somebody who is that exclusive and their reasons why.

I never take a break from trad but will listen to a very broad range of music from Baroque & Early music through classical including Wagner. Satie & Neilson String Quartets when I want to be quite and reflective. All forms of Jazz. Scott Joplin. Sometimes blues, R & B, Ray Charles, Billy Joel, Eva Cassidy, to name a few singers. Early Fairport & Steely Span. I like to ring the changes frequently and may have a span with one genre for a while.
I’ve many cassettes of Swedish music and having been to Sweden recently (last year) am playing a lot of that especially when I can develop my B/C/C# playing in keys such as D & G minor. Nice to play them on the piano as well.
I also play song tunes from the 20’s, 30’s & 40’s on my Piano Accordion. Useful when entertaining those in their late 60’s - 80’s. I play, they sing (hopefully). I can mix a session for them with a few Irish or Scottish melodies which go down well.

Posted by .

I’ve got hundreds of diddley music CDs but these days I rarely listen to any of them. A lot of Planxty, Bothy Band, De Dannan and Altan tunes are thoroughly embedded in my head anyway. I love singing along in me car with Christy Moore (as long as it’s at least 20-years-old stuff and especially those amazing Jimmy McCarthy songs), the Pogues and Carly Simon. And the Beatles. And the Beach Boys. And Elvis fer chrissake! Mostly in the car though it’s Radio 3 or Classic FM (annoying though the latter is, with its ads, its bleeding chunks and its awful sound compression). I wake up to Essential Classics on Radio 3 every day and I usually get the brain-teaser right. I’ve had my name read out seven times now! 😀 I was on my way home at lunchtime today in the pouring rain when Radio 3 started to broadcast a live recital by a string quartet. I pulled into the free car park above Widemouth Bay and watched the waves to Beethoven’s quartet in C sharp minor.

I’m hip hop to the bone - so keep a wee finger in my old life when I was a DJ.

Damn - and Woody!

On the same day I listened to Anders Trabjerg, Yngwie Malmsteen and Max Raabe.

Currently Socrates Malamas, the Alt, Dreadzone, UK, Chris Squire, The Beatles, and The Buggles. All recent downloads running in random order. Friends have been known to shake their heads in wonder at my CD collection…

i would hardly call myself an irish trad musician. All the music i play is traditional music though 🙂 I play American Old time (needs a better name for the genre imo), bluegrass, Irish, and a mix of fiddle tunes from a wide assortment of areas/traditions.

I listen to alot of non trad music, being from Texas, im a fan of Texas swing, but cant play the music, and Hank Williams etc. I also really love DAWG music. The mixture of jazz and bluegrass as written by mandolinist David Grisman and the David Grisman Quintet

Posted by .

I must admit that I listen, as opposed to going out to hear live, to much less music these days. And all that vinyl sitting on the shelves, not to mention cassettes and cds of more recent purchase…..
I remember someone at my old workplace complaining that I only ever listened to folk music; I reckon that’s still a pretty broad church; Richards Thompson and Farina, Martins Carthy and Simpson, Fairport and every offshoot, Altan, Boys of the Lough, Blowzabella, Bellowhead, seems good enough for me…..

Currently Massive Attack, Groove Armada, King Creosote, Klaus Nomi, Arvo Part, The Waterboys and Nina Simone. But next month might be different.

Bach, Jethro Tull, Nic Jones, Martin Carthy, Hendrix……Can’t be all trad all the time!

I have wide-ranging musical tastes (jazz to classical to rock to country to folk to "hey, what was that?!"), have played musical instruments for decades, and have mastered nothing. Nothing.

Posted by .

I can relate to various posters above who remark how little they seem to be listening now to their many CDs, particularly the trad ones - I’m the same.

My main listening these days - outside of sessions - is Classical on Radio 3, much of the day and for dropping off to at night. I want to extend the range of composers and works that I have heard - as well as hear again those I am familiar with, maybe with a commentator providing an angle on them that I had not known about before. I have never played a Classical instrument and probably never will. To me, it seems - as it ever did - that fine or great Classical composers and performers have a truly Godlike gift - from ‘up there’, somewhere - and it is restful to feel that I cannot hope to vie with it, and need not try to: I like to just accept it, even if it’s letting it wash over rather than listening intently.

Much jazz does little or nothing for me - but having slagged it off in an earlier thread, I just wish to say here that I wasn’t intending to disparage the tastes and interests of those who do enjoy jazz. I hope this clears some air🙂

For bedtime or dozing music, I often put on an Incredible String Band album. This may say something about me. It probably says I’m peculiar🙂🙂 "I would lay me down with my arms around a rainbow" - Mike Heron, of The ISB. Don’t know about the rest of you.

Every now and then, over the decades, I’ve come across something, trad or other, that strikes me as quite something else. These have more often been single works or acts than whole genres. So now and then I go back to them for a listen. They include:

Various traditions of polyphonic singing - Late Med/Renaissance Western European church music, Russian Orthodox church ditto, Georgian (Caucasus), and Bulgarian, as by Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares;

Sandy Denny, discovered rather late, and also the sensitive take on Country and other music by Eva Cassidy and Nanci Griffith;

Particular film themes, not necessarily similar: Schindler’s List, Local Hero and the music of Mikis Theodorakis in Z and Zorba The Greek come to mind;

Various things in Greek music;

Revisits to some of Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, early Bert Jansch and other late Sixties/start of the Seventies acts, making me sit up by reason of just how good they are;

Others I cannot now think of.

Ah yes, Mikis Theodorakis, how could I forget. Politia is a great album. Or rather, πολιτια.

Leon Redbone; Baroque music for solo instruments and small ensembles—danceable, positive,profound, playful and great music to oil my flute to.

A break from traditional? no way… :p
I did learn one classical song, Gavotte, so I can play it with my friend. That is the only time.

Listing to music I do like the Clash, Pogues, Dubliners, Talking Heads…
and allot more. I am fairly open minded when listening to music…

When I’m playing and listening to trad I do like the pure drop, but I like loads of other stuff too, listening to a lot of electronica at the moment stuff like Aphex Twin, Moderat, Squarepusher, Jon Hopkins and Daniel Avery. I also like a bit of psychedelia and prog stuff, Pink Floyd, Gong, Hawkwind. early Jefferson Airplane, recently got into this guy called Rodriguez and the film doc Searching for Sugar Man, Animal Collective, Butthole Surfers, Dead Kennedys. And a bit of soul, blues and reggae in all its forms too be it Dub reggae, roots, ska, dubstep, Drum N Bass and Jungle, so lots of different stuff. When I come back to play the trad I’m refreshed and I enjoy the trad buzz again.

Baroque and early music, especially dance music; and Klezmer.

Music?? Well some of it is good and some of it is bad. I prefer the good stuff.

Posted by .

I’m working on a project to combine diddley music with Drum n Bass. It’s a new style that I call Pubstep.

Sorry Nick, I already don’t like it.

Posted by .

Beatles, we incorporate a few of their tunes with our more traditional stuff. Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTwEm-cVCFs

Hey Gobby, don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it!

Anyway, if ever get around to making trad/breakbeat fusion then half the pleasure will be reading the comments on this forum slagging it off! ;)

[*I’m working on a project to combine diddley music with Drum n Bass. It’s a new style that I call Pubstep.*]

I’m on that too, but just fiddle and drums. (Obviously not on your specific project).

Yeah, sorry Nick. Just getting in early and winding you up. A bit rude of me really. I look forward to hearing some.

Posted by .

no one’s mentioned the blues yet -before I had the haziest notion of a jig or reel I was listening to
Big Bill Broonzy, Robert Johnson, Memphis Minnie, Sonny Boy Williamson, Son House, Fred McDowell,
Rev. Gary Davis ……………….from there its a short step to what the white folks of the Southern States were
playing, Doc Watson, Hank Williams, Bob Wills, Bill Monroe and then another step through Bluegrass
and Appalachian fiddle tunes back to the traditional music of these islands. As far as totally ‘non folk’
music is concerned, during the 80s I was keen on the Specials, UB40 and the Selecter, during the 90s
my sons listened to a lot of Greenday and Oasis and I kinda got to like it, but these days I cant find much pop music I want to listen to - and sorry I really cant be doing with gangsta rap, its violent, racist and mysogenistic
and I realize I ‘ve probably just opened a big can of worms -oh well it makes a change from arguing whether a reel is in D major or Bm……….

Trad is now my break from everything else.

No worries Gobby.

Jim, send me a link to your tunes if you get them finished, I would love to hear them.

I think that folk music the world over is excellent and is the real music. I listen to a combination of Irish and American music mainly and here are some of the styles I love:

Western Swing: Moon Mullican, Bob Wills, Cliff Bruner, etc.
Delta blues: Robert Johnson, Charley Patton, Son House, Arthur Crudup, etc.
Traditional Bluegrass: Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Flatt & Scruggs, etc.
Piedmont blues: Blind Boy Fuller.
Gospel blues: Blind Willie Johnson.
1950s blues based rock ‘n’ roll: Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, etc.
1940s/1950s R&B: Piano Red, Fats Domino, Roy Brown, Chuck Berry, Amos Milburn, etc.
Rockabilly: Carl Perkins, Charlie Feathers, etc.
Hillbilly blues: Jimmie Rodgers, Moon Mullican, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, etc.
Early country music: Jim Reeves, George Jones, Lefty Frizzell, etc.
Chicago blues: Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, etc.
West Coast blues: Lowell Fulson, T-Bone Walker, Charles Brown, etc.
Early soul: Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, etc.
Other blues: Mance Lipscombe, Lighting Hopkins, Blind Willie McTell
Other country music meets blues: Charlie Rich.
Folksy country music: Johnny Cash, Woody Guthrie.
Bluesy folk: Bob Dylan.
Frank Sinatra music and related styles.
Classical music in particular Mozart.
Folk music from Africa, Iran, the Far East, etc.
Early rock: Rolling Stones, the Kinks, etc.
Other: Neil Diamond, Tina Turner, The Drifters, Motown, James Taylor, etc.

And loads more. All great music. I love comparing styles of music and you see a lot of styles that resemble each other. Most early country styles have a lot of Irish roots. You also hear styles that resemble the Sean Nos in singing from places as diverse as Southern Russia, Iran, China, Northern Spain, all parts of Africa, and in certain blues styles. It is great to listen to and appreciate all forms of music and compare what is similar. Often, The Chieftains bring all these styles together with Irish music on their themed albums.

It’s always interesting to see what other people like - in my own case, I like music from every genre, except perhaps rap, and that could just be because I don’t listen enough.

This is what people go for three years later:
https://thesession.org/discussions/42670

I notice that here I’ve said that I love early music, baroque and klezmer. In 2018, the klezmer seems to have dropped out. 🙂

As regards the other question - I’m not always ‘strictly traditional’ because I have to fit in with what others might like at a pub session, but I actually do go for traditional in a big way, particularly in Scottish music, where I adore Niel Gow, William Marshall and other stars from ‘The Golden Age of Scottish Fiddle Music’.