Fleadh Cheoil 1973

Fleadh Cheoil 1973

Came across this great little video on youtube from Listowel in the 70’s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfuIsVdgISA

Ah the good old days, when colour’s were colourful, there was no such thing as rain, and men with suits could lay on the streets drinking pints of Stout while they watched the day go by.

Re: Fleadh Cheoil 1973

Thanks for sharing!

Good little documentary, let’s the action speak for itself. I wasn’t there but it’s the Ireland of my childhood - you’d recognise the haircuts, clothes, cars and general ambiance. So different now in many ways, still a bit the same but transformed. One notable thing is that apart from tourists, the streets are mostly filled with Irish people. This country has changed a whole lot in that regard for better or worse, nowadays the streets will contain a good proportion of east Europeans and Africans etc. I believe something like a quarter to a third of births are now to non Irish nationals etc. One thing that hasn’t changed a whole lot is the tendency to take too much drink on board!

Posted .

Tony Mc’Mahon’s accordion playing at the end, was the best part of it. What a shame, he didn’t play a few more tunes. That was one hell of a bodhran.

Thanks, Mikiemax. A great watch. Good to see the likes of Denis Murphy, Julia Clifford and Paddy Cronin in action.

Also, I wonder how many of the youngsters playing in the film are musicians we’ve heard of, given that they’d be aged around 50-60 now. Would the three harmonica players (starting at 8.20) be the Murphy family of Wexford?

CreadurMawnOrganig: < they’d be aged around 50-60 now. >
Yip, I was just starting the Folk & Traditional trail, about then.
I am Now 57 :-(
But, ’ Happy Memories ’
f4

Creadur Mawn Organig.

Your’e spot on, about The Murphys, John, Pip, and Phil. That’s exactly who they are. It must be their earliest television appearence.

The young piper with the half-buttoned shirt and the cigarette dangling from his mouth gave me a laugh. And the people dancing on top of the phone booth.

What I don’t understand in many of the videos I’ve seen from the 70s is the utter absence of people in the audience moving. This is dance music; why does everyone in these videos look like they’re listening to a eulogy? I suspect that there’s a reason for this, but I also suspect that I won’t think it’s a very good one.

You mean they’re not stomping their feet and clapping along ??

Respect.

You’ll still find those phone boxes here & there in Irish pubs! Mostly phone boxes are gone redundant now. The one at the bottom of the road where I was brought up used to have a queue outside betimes. You’d be saying ‘I wish the feck they’d hurry up!’ etc. These days, a homeless chap stores his overnight gear there.

Posted .

It’s dance music. How does not moving when it is played show respect?

Look again, there’s plenty of people in the crowds listening with care and swaying. What else would you expect? Hollering and Riverdance?

Posted .

Leo Carty lilting "The masons apron"

does somebody know what is the name of the tune at 7:15 ?

Posted by .

Love this doc too, it has to be said the standard of bodhran playing in this is pretty good especially the guy accompanying the piper in the bar and the dude with the ginormous one at the end of the programme.

Edit: The clip I was referring to was the session in the street with the daft eejits lol dancing on the phone box, that bodhran player has the sure touch.

That was a delight.

Oh, my! I remember playing in a session in that back room with the yellow wallpaper and high windows and no way out except the way in. It was in 1985, and with 12 additional years of accumulated cigarette smoke, the pattern was barely recognizable. I think I was the only non smoker there. Certainly seemed that way.