Low Whistle - Recommended Tunes for Beginners

Low Whistle - Recommended Tunes for Beginners

I’ve recently started to learn the low whistle and am looking for some recommendations for tunes. Do you have any favorites you would recommend for a beginner?

Here’s a YouTube video to give you an idea of where I’m at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yeLJtC3jAY

Re: Low Whistle - Recommended Tunes for Beginners

Some lovely airs that you may like:
For Ireland I’ll Not Say Her Name — Anhrán a Leabhar — Leaving Limerick — Doinna — A Stor Mo Chroi — Roisin Dubh —Amhran Munse — Dun Do Shúil — The Young Girl Milking The Cow — Journeys of a Dreamer — An Chulthiónn — Midnight Walker — Coineach Cu Chullain — Lament for the Fox — The Wounded Hussar.
And if you want something a bit faster:
Ballintore Fancy — Mrs Power — Patsy Geary — The White Crow — Garret Barry’s — Dr John Hart — Dusty Miller — The Humours of Glynn — Poll Ha’penny — An Lon Dubh

I like your playing; but if I might, I suggest you cut down on the tonguing — try to find gracenotes or alternative fingering to separate or emphasise different notes. You will already have discovered that the gracenotes from your pipes usually don’t work on the whistle, so it’s a case of finding alternatives that have the desired effect.

Posted by .

Re: Low Whistle - Recommended Tunes for Beginners

Thanks for the recommended tunes, I will definitely check them out. And the playing tip!
I’ve started to work on the Kesh Jig a bit as well.

Also I apologize foe the delayed response, I was waiting for an email notification that I didn’t get.