Clare whistles; are the holes aligned to the side for a reason or is it bad manufacturing?

Clare whistles; are the holes aligned to the side for a reason or is it bad manufacturing?

A friend of mine just brought me 2 Clare and 3 Feadóg whistles back from Ireland.

The Clare whistles’ holes and fipple are not in line though; on both whistles it seems the body of the whistle is twisted by about 15 degrees to the right.

Is this a feature of Clare whistles? I thought it is too much of a coincidence that both would be like that. (One is brass and the other nickel, just in case you are wondering why there are two).

Re: Clare whistles; are the holes aligned to the side for a reason or is it bad manufacturing?

The head isn’t glued to the tube anyway, so that the whistle is tunable. Maybe it’s a bit stuck on a new whistle, but twisting it a bit should loosen it.

Re: Clare whistles; are the holes aligned to the side for a reason or is it bad manufacturing?

It’s just shoddy quality control……mass produced, bang ‘em out…..
Best thing to do is gently release the glue holding the head onto the body by immersing the head in warm water for a little while, then testing to see if it moves, if not, slightly hotter water, but not boiling. eventually the head should come off and you can align it to where is comfortable.

I think I’ve seen the same thing on a few of the low whistles on the market - the better to get a grip with.

As I said above, the heads of Clare whistles aren’t glued, they may just be a bit tight at first. No need for hot water bottles anyway.

Ah, soz, didn’t quite read through properly.

Thanks very much for the feedback, and thanks sebastian. I would have been too scared to try twist off the head. Going to give it a try.

OK, so it turns out the head came off the brass Clare very easily. Not so with the Nickel. I had to twist that very hard to get it into position.