Whats most common with slip jigs?

Whats most common with slip jigs?

I’m fairly new to sessions and would like to know which is most common in sets. Slip Jigs with other Slip jigs or Slip jigs paired with jigs?
Ben

Posted by .

Re: Whats most common with slip jigs?

As a general rule, tunes of the same type are paired together. If you are really wanting to do a set with a slip jig like "Kid on the Mountain" followed by a jig like "Morrison’s" or something like that, just be sure you don’t do this if ever asked to play for dancers! To start out though, it might be nice to explore a variety of slip jigs (which are highly underplayed in my opinon) and see which ones go together well as sets. I’m sure folks here have some good sets to share. One that I like is "The Humours of Whiskey" followed by "Blast of Wind." Both are lovely tunes.

Slip jigs and double jigs can sound quite natural together in sets, since they are both made up of the same basic rhythmic units (3-quaver and crotchet quaver groupings) - more so than, for example, jig-reel sets, which sound to me more like performance pieces than session sets. Hardiman the Fiddler/Gander in the Pratie Hole is an example that works well.

But, as Violynnsey says, the norm is to place tunes of one type in a set. Slipping a slip jig into a double jig set, or vice versa, is living on the edge.

The following makes a nice set:

An Ceanabhain Bhana/An Phis Fliuch (pardon my Irish)/Drops of Brandy

I agree with violynnsey’s, they’re underplayed that is except for the same *over*played 4-5: kid on the mtn, butterfly, an phis, foxhunter’s.

I’m working on a "mixed" set right now: Oh Hag You Have Killed Me/Hardiman the Fiddler. I think they go very nicely. At my level I ain’t playing for dancers anytime soon.

There’s a nice set of three slip jigs on Tommy Peoples’ album "Waiting for A Call". Hardiman The Fiddler/Give Us A Drink of Water/Heels Over Head. Haven’t learned the second two yet but intend to at some point.

Posted by .

I agree that some are overplayed. Wduty, have you ever heard Tommy Peoples play "Kid on the Mountain?" I have a recording of him playing that tune (though don’t know what album it’s from) and it made me fall in love with it all over again. When done *right* those commonly played slip jigs are splendid. Problem is, most people would rather learn a million reels than bother to learn a variety of slip jigs. Sessions are usually reel-heavy and so one is lucky to get a slip jig in at all. Therefore, the same ones are usually brought up again and again. Maybe we should have a Slip Jig Appreciation Month… :-)

I LOVE slip jigs. Maybe because when I was dancing it was my favourite dance. My all time favourite s/j is Fig for a Kiss and usually play this with either An tiochfaidh tu abhaile liom or Mulroe followed by hardiman the fiddle and Fig for a Kiss.
There are two fabulous slip jigs on Leitrim’s Hidden Treasure with the McNamara family called The Barony Jig, (can’t remember name of second one) and then Leitrim version of Mulroe. But you need plenty of wind to play them especially the Barony.
There is another set we play. Cluaintarbh if you’re reading this you know the Slocket set ( 2 tunes), cannot remember names.

Needless to say Slipjigs are rare things in this part of the country as its all reels, reels, with the occasional jig and hornpipe thrown in. Lets start a slip jig revival corner and, oh yes, add barn dances to that as well!

I like to play Another Jig Will Do and Comb Your Hair And Curl It. Slip Jigs have a swing of their own but can also be combined with other jigs if they are played not too fast e.g. Road to Lisdoonvarna.

Posted by .

Hi Dierdre - I just learned the Foxhunter’s slip jig and I follow it with Fig for a Kiss. I also just learned Drops of Brandy cuz my music buddies play this. One of our local pipers loves slip jigs. He plays them so well and it’s a joy to hear him play. I need to learn more slip jigs! Elizabeth Kelly’s is another nice one.

joyce

Posted by .

Viol, yeah I have 2 Tommy Peoples albums with kid on the mtn. I know what you mean by someone making a tune work for you again, putting it in a new light. I talked briefly to accordionist James Keane at an open session he led a while back and he was commenting that slip jigs are underplayed.

The commonly played slip jigs are at least all pretty good tunes, an phis is a particularly nice one, whereas among commonly played regular jigs it’s a more mixed field.

Posted by .

Gotta agree there, wduty. The common slip jigs are still really good tunes.

"The Humors of Derrykissane" is a good one to check out if you’re looking to add one to your repertoire. So is "As Pat Came Over the Hill".

Hmm that Derrykissane is nice (judging just from the midi), not sure why but it seems a bit O’Carolan-ish.

"As Pat…" is not available on this site. Maybe you should submit it…

It seems like pipers are particularly fond of slip jigs. Is it my imagination?

Posted by .

Hi Joyce
Humours of Derrykissane is a class tune but I found it hard to learn. Foxhunter is another good one and there is a slip jig called Deirdre’s Slip Jig which is rather nice but maybe I’m biased!

And what about the Trip to Sligo - the first slip jig I learned off one of the early Chieftain’s albums??

yes, thats a great tune and we play it a lot here in this area.
d

Dever the Dancer is another old but good one. IMO it fits in nicely with most of the above mentioned "overplayed" ones. Sometimes I also do it in a mixed set followed by drowsy maggie, but that’s not too sessionfriendly I’m afraid.

Posted by .

Trip To Sligo isn’t a slip jig.