“Metalman” questionr

“Metalman” questionr

At our local session, the tune “Metalman” is played. Some of the players drop a beat before the first section (on the repeat and when starting over), making a 2/4 measure in an otherwise 3/4 tune. The music/abc/sheetmusic on The Session website doesn’t do this, and I haven’t been able to find a recorded example. Is this a usual practice for this tune or just a local aberration?

Re: “Metalman” questionr

Wow I learnt this 20 years ago from the legendary Nick Pynn’s evening classes in Brighton and had forgotten all about it - nice tune.
I’d say its an aberration - its very easy to hear those first two quavers FG as lead in notes and put the first beat on the A. I’m sure I had the same problem when I first learnt it - just need to stamp you foot loudly to sort it out.
Its a waltz, you need to be able to dance to it!

David L….where is your session? We have a few players in my local session who do just about the same thing, and I’ve never understood why…it feels rushed in that one measure for no real reason.

When I start it, I play it like a Waltz, which is what it is.

Eric

Since your user name is Jayhawk, it won’t surprise you that my session is in Lawrence, Ks.(It’s the same session) I think it may come from the band Scartaglen in Kansas City.

This is Eric the flute guy from the Lawrence session. Jim the banjo player starts it that way, and maybe Scartaglen did, too, but it’s just plain weird.

Hopefully, I’ll be back at the session more in the coming weeks, but between working out at Renfest for the past several months, my son doing a historic fencing demonstration for Cary Elwes one Sunday night, and our band’s CD release being broadcast last night on Thunder on the Plains (and being at scout camp out until 6 anyway)…I’ve been rather absent from the session since August.

We’ll get everyone straightened out regarding how the tune should be played. 🙂

Eric