Eliot Grasso on radio in US

Eliot Grasso on radio in US

I’m surprised Emily hasn’t mentioned this, but I guess she’s been a bit pre-occupied with other things lately. I just found out that her cousin (IIRC) Eliot Grasso, a great young piper from Baltimore, will be featured on the American public radio program "A Prairie Home Companion" broadcast nationally across the US this coming Saturday. He’s one of (I think) six finalists in the Talent from Twelve to Twenty contest. That’s age 12 to age 20, so if you ask me he ought to win for sure. I first met him about 6 or 7 years ago (when he was 12 or 13, I guess) and he was already brilliant then. Also he’s a great kid (although not really a kid any more.) So give the show a listen if you can. It’s on live in many US cities at 6 pm Eastern time on Saturday. Check your local NPR listings. Go Eliot!

Re: Eliot Grasso on radio in US

Hey, my band entered that same competition. Glad to see that at least one ITM musician made it.

I just found out about Eliot Grasso the other day! What a cool guy! Man, he’s played with a lot of good players, and is an excelent musician himself. I listened to some of his CD, Standing Room Only, and he is phenomenal. Emily, is he really your cousin? Cool!

How old is he now? It’s so cool finding musicians that aren’t a lot older than you!

If anyone misses the show, they are all archived on http://www.prairiehome.org. There’s some great stuff on there already, including Solas, Johnny Cunningham, Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill, and John Williams.

-Max

If I’m not mistaken, he’s one year younger than me, which puts him at 20— could be 19 though. In response to Max’s comment about age, kinda interesting— I was at a session in Baltimore a few months back, and at one point I was the oldest of the 6-7 musicians playing, and they are all well beyond my calibre. Anywho, at least it was interesting to me.

Jason

Hey Max… you’ve got to spend some time in Ireland pal… the experience will be humbling.

Yeah Max, if you want to meet musicians your age and (a lot) younger, go to Ireland for sure. You’re in for a shock ‘mtellinya.

Yes, I know. I live in an isolated bit of nowhere. Pretty pathetic, but I can’t really help it. I’ll get to Ireland, sooner rather than later.

-Max

OMG- THE BOY’S GOT A ROGGE FLAT SET!!!!!!! Gotta sound muy sweet! (how’s that for mixing languages lol)

Posted by .

Eliot Grasso is 20. He turns 21 in December of 2004. His new album, Standing Room Only, was recorded when he was 18, but it was only released this year. 🙂

P.S. John, Emily is on her raucous way across the US to Baltimore with no web access, spreading sunshine and her usual mayhem in her path. ;)

Any idea how long she’ll be in Baltimore for? I’d love to put a name to a face, but I won’t be home (Baltimore) for another week.

Jason

18? Sheesh, that guy’s good. The broadcast is tonight. I’ll be listening for sure!

-Max

(posted for Emily_az via cell phone) Eliot Grasso on PHC tonight — vote on line!

Hi All,

I’m posting this message for Emily_az via cell phone under duress. Uilleann Piper Eliot Grasso (no relation to me) will be competing tonight on the Youth Talent Contest on Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keilor. Tune in live and vote on line if you like what you hear and want to stick up for the Irish trad player:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

Emily_az says hi to everyone from the uncharted and uninteresting backwaters of Texas. And want’s to add that there is a grand session in Lubbock.

Hope all’s, well

Dave

Re: (posted for Emily_az via cell phone) Eliot Grasso on PHC tonight — vote on line!

Uh huh…I’ve never known anyone of the male persuasion to survive rebellion under Emily’s "duress"…at least, not for very long. *grin*

Wow… the competition is pretty stiff. (listening now) There might be too many different genres represented to have a fair competition. Actually, I wish it were just a showcase and not a competition. I think competitions are probably only relevant, if at all, within each genre, although I have some reservations about that as well. It might come down to people voting for their favorite genre rather than who is the best young artist. Good luck Eliot.

I can’t figure out how to listen. Phooey. I’ll have to try again later when the beer wears off.

I just tuned it in on my radio… easy-peasy

You gosh darn technological whiz kids! You make me sick!

(P.S. I don’t think I can do that in Montreal.)

You can’t get sick in Montreal? Wow… I’ll come for a visit next time I think I’m coming down with the flu.

heh. You kill me.

Sarcasm doesn’t become you Kerri. hahaha

Bye the way… He played very well… but Eliot didn’t win the water tower. He needs to work on his pronunciation of "Monaghan" though… the "g" is silent last time I heard someone from Ireland say it. But it doesn’t really matter if you play pipes like our man Eliot can I guess.

Okay, so he didn’t win, but did he make the final two? I heard him and the other five play on Sat night, but then had to go into a ceili I was playing and didn’t get to hear the second half of the show. Then on Sunday for the replay, same deal. I headed into a session and missed the second half. I don’t recall the word Monaghan in what I heard of his initial appearance, so it sounds like maybe he came back on later for the finals. Inquiring minds want to know, and even on Monday morning the PHC website doesn’t say…

check the PHC site; he didn’t make the the final 2. As an owner( I own them, I don’t play them, lol), I felt that he wasn’t mic’d very well. I think he was playing a flat set since it didn’t sound that bright…but then I have been wriong in the past and continue to do so in the present.

Posted by .

I am listening to his auditon tape and a picture of him playing. I assume it was at the show. From the looks of things, it appears he is playing a Kirk Lynch concert set, maybe a 3/4 set since I don’t see a bass drone.

The audition tape is superb!

The set of jigs he played on the show are original ( at least the first two), Ohare’s tilt ( reference to Kieran O’Hare, the piper), Chiaroscruo Jig and Jig of Quills. Listening to the performance set at home (as opposed to work), it sounds like a concert set, but still not bright and the last note on the regulator was a bit boomy.

I’m still not sure he was mic’d correctly.

Posted by .

OK, Elliot was not in the final three but he does play the Monahan Twig with some of the other contestants to end the show.

In the first hour he played a set of Jigs of his own composition.

You can listen here: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/performances/20040508/

ALSO he WON the "Nicest Contestant to work with" award at the end of the show. The Ray Marklund award iis named after a PHC stage hand and is a toolchest full of tools.

So,… he went home with something useful and a great alocade from the folks who run the show. GOOD JOB Eliot!

I was wondering what thew award was. Very good on him

Posted by .