Pipe tuner wanted

Pipe tuner wanted

I’m no good at adjusting reeds. I’m useless at tuning and adjusting drone yokes (they’re not called reeds).
And I’m worse than useless at getting regulator reeds to do anything at all.

What I need is to have my pipes serviced by a competent mechanic. It’s no good telling me to do a course and learn about reeds. Piano players don’t have to learn how to do french polishing and trombone players can’t weld so I don’t see why pipers should have to be able to service the instrument in order to play it.

Unfortunately the maker - a great man - doesn’t live in Ireland and though I was prepared to send them to him, he was too busy. Also, the several great pipers that live within 100 miles are too busy or don’t work on other makers’ pipes. I asked NPU if they would consider opening a service station but they thought I was mad.

So, does anyone know of a half decent pipe tuner in Ireland who would be willing and able to do a full service on a very respectable set of pipes?

Re: Pipe tuner wanted

Have you tried Martin Gallen, Banba?
He might be your man

Posted by .

Ray Sloan does pipe making holidays for interested peoples. I’d bet he might be prepared to spend a day or two fettling your pipes and explaining / teaching the process. You may not want to learn the ins and outs yourself but getting the pipe set up properly and learning how to maintain it is a crucial part of the process.
http://www.raysloan.com/

Martin really is the man for this in Ireland at the moment. Find him on Facebook. I would do it soon as he’s making his own stuff so soon he’ll be swamped with his own orders and with sorting out his own pipes. But last I talked to him online he was still reading other makers stuff.

Posted by .

I’ve read through Martin Gallen’s website and he does seem to offer the tuning service I was enquiring about.
Thanks for comments.