Is There A Limit, To The Amount Of Tunes Played In Each Selection, Or Does It Vary From Region To Region.?

Is There A Limit, To The Amount Of Tunes Played In Each Selection, Or Does It Vary From Region To Region.?

While slow airs are always played in single file, the same does not apply to polkas, slides, reels, jigs, and hornpipes. The most reels I ever heard played together in one go, was 6. 3 jigs, are the regular amount played. I feel the regular amount of reels in a selection, is also 3. Polkas are easier to play, so musicians can belt out at least 5 of them in the one go. Here is my opinion, on the tunes played in a full polka set. It can vary, from region to region. 1.polkas (3) 2. polkas (3) 3.polkas (4) 4.jigs (3) 5.polkas (3) 6. half slide (4) 7.polkas (3) 8. slides (4)
hornpipes (5) polkas (3). let me add, it sounds a bit complicated. Who can tell me more, and maybe even correct me.?

Re: Is there a limit to the amount of tunes played in each selection or does it vary from region to region?

Dear Michael, Could You Refrain From Capitalizing Every Word In Your Topic Titles? The Effect Is To Make Them Much Harder To Read As Well As Uglier To Look At. (I Wish North American Newspaper Editors Would Realize This.)

As to your question, I don’t understand why you are looking for some kind of norm. Are you talking about specific contexts, like playing for sets or ceili dances? Does anybody care? Are people not free to do whatever they like?

Re: Is There A Limit, To The Amount Of Tunes Played In Each Selection, Or Does It Vary From Region To Region.?

I think the limit is in the region of 10,000 - but, by the time you have played 10,000 tunes, the number will have increased. This assumes, of course, that you are able to learn one tune whilst playing another. Also, if you were to play 10,000 tunes in one set, you might find yourself short on tunes for the next set - or, horror of horrors, repeating a tune.

Re: Is There A Limit, To The Amount Of Tunes Played In Each Selection, Or Does It Vary From Region To Region.?

Ah, so that’s what the question was! You’re smarter than the mice …

This is a very interesting and important question.

A seminal paper published in 1996 by Daly, J., Einstein, A., Reavy, E. and Schrodinger, E. described this as the Special Theory of Regional Variance in Session Tune Limitation. Their findings, published in the International Journal of Sessionological Taurine Faecal Material Science, which showed that regional variance colocalises indeterminately with the point spread function, contradicted earlier reports which claimed that for regional variance to have indeterminacy, it must be preceded by consumption of significant quantities of narcotics.
We are eternally grateful to these authors for having clarified this issue, in such an easily comprehensible paper.

I think you’ll find that paper was debunked long ago by a man called Gill, Danny.

As far as I’m aware he was the editor in chief of Int. J. Sess. Tau. Faec. Mat. Sci., but got sacked for rejecting virtually every new idea which contributors tried to publish…..so what you say wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

"A seminal paper published in 1996 by Daly, J., Einstein, A., Reavy, E. and Schrodinger, E. described this as the Special Theory of Regional Variance in Session Tune Limitation. …"

I read that paper. Unfortunately it’s fundamentally flawed as it fails to consider that the fundamental period of linear time is proportional to the inverse square root of the mean total of all the tunes. (I.E. the more tunes you play the longer it takes to play them.) Interestingly, they did incorporate the paradox of Schrodinger’s Tune: that is, in order to find out if a tune is major or minor I have to play the tune, but by playing the tune I destroy it.

David E.

michael dineen :
I was at a session last night some friend’s dropped by.
Mighty Music there was all sort’s of tune’s played.
Reel’s, jig’s, horpipe’s, O’Carolan, two blue Grass Tunes I started,
Gooseberry Blosson/ Bill Cheetham’s I think there called.
Two funny Tradional song’s - ’ The Apprentice & All around my Cat ’
The Music was Great, but the Fun was more Important !
And there was a Banjo player from Argentiana ’ Gabbie ’ short for Gabriel.
And so What !
Because ITM is for everyone and to be ’ Enjoyed ‘, and that’s ” Very Important ” .
* Or as an old friend said to me once ” Jim, stop analyzing an put that fiddle
below yer chin, and just play the Bl**dy thing ” .
f4

Here is the same wee session a long time ago now, but the first
time ’ Gabbie ’ came to it and brought his Banjo there.

http://vimeo.com/42112706

I once played a set which went slow air/barndance/jig/polka/reel/reel/reel/hornpipe/reel/reel/reel.

Oh no, wait, that was me dreaming I was Martin Hayes again…

https://thesession.org/recordings/16

David, yes of course. But you’re forgetting that what the paper describes is tunes played at sub-relativistic velocities, where there is time distortion (ie bodhráns and metronomes ticking slower as observed by external observers…or is it just the number of pints consumed?) and an increase in mass and concomitant incumbency of the players, leading to longer sets.

Danny, yes time distortion does play a prominent role in pubs (and spacial distortion as well). Your average tune set is about 3 minutes long. So the question becomes, how many tunes can you squeeze into a 3 minute set? I once saw Johnny Cunningham play so many tunes in 3 minutes he created an audible black hole: sounds would go in, but they couldn’t come back out.

David E.

@David E.
"…the paradox of Schrodinger’s Tune: that is, in order to find out if a tune is major or minor I have to play the tune, but by playing the tune I destroy it."

So… you’re saying you play like me.

Cheers,
Tom

Isn’t there also the mystery of where did all the mazurkas go? And the story of the young man who went in search of them and ended up on a planet solely inhabited by mazurkoid life-forms, where he claimed he spent 6 months driving a limousine for a Mazurka family whose son was called "Sonny"…..

Because I live in the western US, distance is a bit of an issue. So…d’ya think we could arrange to hold our regional meetings on-line (Skype or something like it) when we all get together to decide on these important issues like how many tunes get played in a set, which tunes should always get played together (inbred sets), tempo choices, proper ornamentation, the number of pipers who should be allowed to dance on the head of a pin, the one true way to play McFadden’s Handsome Daughter, and how best to achieve world peace? Once an agreement is reached(good luck with that!) could we publish the Rule-Book on-line for easy reference in case I’m caught without my hard copy?

Just asking’.

It’s always three, plus or minus two, unless it’s more than that. Ideally, there should be some sort of connection between the tunes, even if its a disconnect (as in "Huh? … Didn’t expect that). Also, one needs a break to wet the whistle.

The correct number of tunes is n+1, where n is the number of tunes currently played.

I think it’s down to three factors : tune length (tul), beer glass air depth (bad) and attention span (zzz).

To date, no formula has been defined.

Funny Jim! On a popular NPR program here in the States, Paula Poundstone recently revealed that she had 17 cats! When asked, "How does one acquire 17 cats", she replied: "Well, obviously when one has 16 cats and wants one more."
(Hilarious when she said it.)
🙂

A bit like Richard Dawkins (biologist and atheist) giving his final comment during a ‘god’ debate - "Let’s just say that I believe in one god less than you do." 🙂

Maybe, there should be some sort of contest. It would be a great challenge for a ceili band, to see how many reels for example they could squeeze into each selection. It could be done for charity, with the proceeds going to some worthy cause. That said, I still feel it has it’s limits.

@RoadsToHome, that applies to mandolins too

‘Maybe, there should be some sort of contest. It would be a great challenge for a ceili band, to see how many reels for example they could squeeze into each selection. ’

Hopefully, such a contest could take place on Rockall.

Posted by .

A contest was held some years ago, to put the biggest ceili band together. Why not do something similar, with the way tunes are played, and the structure of them?. It would take it to a new level anyway. Something new is needed, to keep the interest strong.

I’ll be serious for one post on this thread, which in fact doesn’t deserve any serious input, to say that contests and competition in trad music amount to a complete anathema to the spirit of creativity in the playing of and listening to the music. Leave contests to sport, keep them out of the music.

"So… you’re saying you play like me.
Cheers, Tom"

Lordy Tom, I hope you’re not that bad! 😉

David E

Michael, I do hope you were not expecting to get any serious answers from this group, were you? 😉

Here in the States we tend to do things in threes, whether that’s tunes, beers, or ex-wives. (Although in the case of beer 3x3 is acceptable.) So three tunes seems to be the esthetic limit for sets as we don’t have much patience to listen for much longer that that. 🙂

David E