Calling All Singers, All Musicians, All Ages……

Calling All Singers, All Musicians, All Ages……

TG4’s new music show is on the hunt to find the next big musical act to emerge from Ireland

Whether you’ve performed on the street, or in front of a small or large audience; whether it’s just you with a guitar, or a group of singers or musicians, THIS IS THE STAGE FOR YOU!!!

Applications are now being accepted.

Email your name and number to: laura@adareproductions.ie

Re: Calling All Singers, All Musicians, All Ages……

This is what you get when the arts budget is cut. Lowest common denominator programming posturing as arts when really they are just making a buck cashing in on celebrity culture. This stuff doesn’t support the arts, it creates a popular culture of observers believing that art is something someone else does. it doesn’t matter that they are supposedly casting the net wide for participants, it’s all about celebrity and the notion of otherness not participation.

Let me be flippant here. My guess is it is just some no hoper talent show, with a panel of judges. It says, "all singers, all musicians, all ages". What they really mean, is either Irish country music, original rock music, or some singer/songwriter, with a guitar around his neck. Is this the only thing that qualifies for talent these days.? I doubt, they are looking for anything sensible. I’d imagine, they are looking for image, originality, energy and nothing more. Forget this sort of thing.

Tg4 has done an excellent job with their programming and most of their shows are enchanting, from the nature shows to geantrai, I love it.

Their music reality shows in the past are not my forte but one would expect that a channel will try new things and occasionally fail.

Anytime tg4 has a"stage" on the set, it does always seem to flop. I wish you the best of luck, I wish I had your job!

Originality and energy has alot to do with making exciting music. I doubt many guitar player would agree with being called a no hoper.do you include christy moore, liam clancy, paul brady etc as talentless?

I think there is an opportunity for tg4 to travel around the country and record some of the many local sessions while they are still around , and i dont mean recording cce sessions. This would capture the real fabric of the music and give viewers a chance to see musicians not in the normal panel thats usually seen on tv.
And yes they could lose the panel of experts and the rewards….

Anybody who watches TG4 will know that they don’t do this style of programmes to make "Stars". It’s much more like community television, no big prizes, no Simon Cowell bulls**t. If TG4 has the courage to commission this programme, they should be praised. It encourages younsters to give it a go, not for fame or fortune, but just to get out there, be creative, compete…and survive.

Zoukibanjo

I really meant, that it is harder now for small time musicians to get that break. However, I’m sticking to my guns with my view and I’m entitled to it. Irish pubs no longer have real musicians, unless there is a session. It is easier for a fellow with a guitar, to perform in a pub for at least 2 hours and get his money. Regarding the names you mentioned, I feel those people had something magical to offer, and it worked for them.

FWIW, Zouki:
I believe the reference to "no-hopers" was directed at those people, and
I am afraid they are numerous, who really are not currently at a level of ability
or obvious potential to have a hope of widespread popularity, if that is what they
aspire to. Some of those who seriously forge ahead anyway on stage and small screen can some
times appear a bit delusional, if compared to more accomplished and practiced
performers. That is their risk, then, of not being accepted in the manner they might expect.

But I saw no attack upon ALL our strummers and wheezers implied. The specific success
stories mentioned (Moore, Brady, Clancey) all put in a bit of practice time on technique
and style developement before they hung it all out there, and many of our greats have had
to stumble, fall, and pick themselves up again many, many times getting to where they are now.

None of those listed, to my knowledge, were instant hits, or talent show winners as a step to success.

Posted by .

I don’t care if it’s a loser proposition or not, if they’ll pay my round-trip airfare from the USA, I’m perfectly willing to get on stage and sing and play my heart out. I don’t mind losing and I’ll wear a flak jacket for safety…