Key of The Blockers

Key of The Blockers

Can anyone tell me, with reasonable certainty, what key Sean Ryan wrote The Blockers in?

Will

Re: Key of The Blockers

In The Hidden Ireland, the first of two collections of Sean Ryan compositions compiled by his son Brian Ryan, it’s in G (mostly major with a couple of F naturals and one B flat). There’s a recording of a private tape that is (or was?) available for download somewhere in the past few years of Sean Ryan and Paddy Fahy. On Track 11, Ryan plays The Blockers in G.

There are two recordings of it with sound samples at https://www.irishtune.info/tune/178/ . On the Kevin & Sean Moloney album, it’s in G. On the Dé Danann album it’s in D (but sounds in E flat because of the tuning of the instruments).

Thanks, Gary!

You beat me to it, Gary! Yes, you’re right. I forgot all about that tune. I’ll pick up my Hidden Ireland book again. Thanks 🙂

…something tells me that’s the same tune as ‘Cottage in the Grove’ on the Mist Covered Mountain album by de Dannan. I wonder if it is?

Jim, ‘The Blockers’ is the 2nd tune in the set, (it is titled Sean Ryan’s on that record) and comes after ‘Cottage in the Grove’.

Aaargh

> On the Dé Danann album it’s in D

Gary, I love trying out familiar tunes in different keys but I know I’m going to get this confused with Sully’s ‘Exile of Erin’ now. Thanks! 8))

Regards
David

You too! I learned them at the same time (say, in two-three days) and have had my share of difficulties knowing which B part I should play…