End of the year roundup from The Session

End of the year roundup from The Session

It’s not quite the end of the year yet, but I thought I’d put together some end-of-the-year numbers from The Session for anyone who’s interested.

673 new tunes were added to the site in 2014 (to make a total of 12,554).

2,227 tune settings were added in total this year (bringing the overall total up to 24,030 settings).

452 of those 2,227 settings were from JACKB,
424 settings were from ceolachan,
95 from Kevin Rietmann,
57 from Mix O’Lydian,
44 from dancarney84,
43 from Nigel Gatherer,
43 as well from sebastian the metapop,
41 from Weejie,
39 from Dr. Dow,
33 from Dargai,
and many more from the likes of Mikethebook, Tate, Mr G.Cunningham, jdicarlo, and others.

251 recordings were added to thesession.org in 2014.

48 of those were from MarcusDisessa,
17 were from ceolachan,
10 from Dargai,
10 from bdg,
9 from myself,
8 from Kenny,
and more from Mikethebook, GaryAMartin, David De Santi, niall_kenny, and others.

237 new sessions were added.

333 events were added in 2014. Sua, skeator, Martin Donohoe, and Caoimhin Vallely added quite a few each.

2,131 discussions took place this year. Quite a few from Kess, FIDDLE4, Jerone, LoM, Arthur Gondolor, and TheBlindBard.

Almost 40,000 comments were added to the site in 2014.
Just over 33,000 of those were in the discussions section alone (just over 4,000 were comments on tunes, just over 800 were comments on recordings, over 1,000 comments on sessions, and just over 400 comments were on events).

Thank you all for contributing to the site in 2014. Here’s to more in 2015!

Re: End of the year roundup from The Session

Thanks Jeremy. As a bit of a nerd, I love this sort of stuff. Thanks for keeping the session going and the additions you’ve made.

Just out of interest, what are the trending tunes this year? (i.e. most popular tunebook additions)

davedupplaw, here are the top 20 tunes added to tunebooks in 2014:

470 Drowsy Maggie
424 The Kesh
385 Morrison’s
374 Cooley’s
347 The Butterfly
245 The Maid Behind The Bar
239 The Banshee
228 The Silver Spear
227 The Wind That Shakes The Barley
218 Banish Misfortune
215 The Glasgow
197 Out On The Ocean
178 The Kid On The Mountain
175 The Musical Priest
174 King Of The Fairies
171 The Lilting Banshee
169 The Rights Of Man
167 The Gravel Walks
161 The Mountain Road
156 The Harvest Home

That’s pretty much in keeping with the overall trend of most popular tunes:
https://thesession.org/tunes/popular

In total 8,073 tunes were added to tunebooks in 2014 by 3,858 members.

These 20 members added the most tunes to their tunebooks this year:

1462 boislevin
944 Turbo_jt
695 cailinrua1
641 1951howard
595 Bajaja
565 Roderick Fiske
471 irishdancer626
421 Nuria Garcia Salas
416 piprgrl
406 Steve Owen
403 ross faison
398 MarcusDisessa
352 Ansfrid
323 bill
311 Indi
302 PunchyLV
289 KJM
279 StitchAngel
264 JoseACerro
254 Macleod03

The Kesh strikes again.

Resolution for 2015: cast the tune into oblivion.

Kesh is a nice place. Any time I’m in Fermanagh, I go to Kesh. For refreshing beverages. SAVE THE KESH FROM OBLIVION!!

Thanks for all the brilliant work, Jeremy! Best wishes for 2015.

Likewise, Joe!

Who made the most "Comments" 🙂 ?

Posted by .

The twenty people who added the most comments in 2014 (so far) are:

1,278 gam
1,116 Jim Dorans, Worldfiddler
1,087 ceolachan
921 David50
833 TheBlindBard
815 Ben Hall
808 Weejie
719 FIDDLE4
688 Kenny
652 CreadurMawnOrganig
651 Ailin
563 jeff_lindqvist
526 AlBrown
486 Jerone, LoM
455 rosemariemcsweeney
431 5stringfool
430 sebastian the m̈etapop
407 Mix O’Lydian
399 Cheeky Elf
373 Richard D Cook

So about 0.02% of the members generated about 1/3 of the comments.

Thank you Jeremy…
I’m writing my comment from sunny Florida. Usually living in Ottawa Canada but turned into a real snowbird this year. My concertina is a bit dusty; still being played, but I purchased a really nice concert ukulele down here and having lots of fun trying to play tunes from the session on it.
I really look forward to receiving the ‘session’ with my incoming mail and enjoy listening to new tunes.
thanks John M.

"So about 0.02% of the members generated about 1/3 of the comments."

One can only be inspired by such dedication.

Y’know, I should learn the Kesh.
Do they have the dots here?
😉

Posted by .

I ruddy well hate the Kesh. All members who add it to their tunebook should be banned. Eventually the only people left on here will be the Lligs of this world.

😀

Just bumping up my comment count! 😉

Cheers for everything Jeremy!

Thankyou! Jeremy… and those assist and regularly contribute.

This is such a wonderful site and community. I’m sorry I don’t have much to add. I’m one of the 99.08% who don’t say anything but I learn so much each time I read through the email and open whatever topics catch my interest. There is so much information and wisdom I’m sure unknowingly blurbs from most of the contributors. I also get many a great belly laugh from the disagreements in the posts (and learn from them). We can all agree to disagree somewhere on most topics but I think all those who are here must agree that this is a great site to do it on.

Obviously everybody has their own way of using this site. If it helps…. or gives anyone an idea…. I’m not a great tune player but I’m learning. I play guitar in a band where we have two key players who play the tunes on various instruments (and I now play some too… on various instruments). As guitarist I’ve found this site particularly useful as the resource for locating the tune and name variations. From there I attack iTunes for every version I can find so as to pick the eyes for chord and bass patterns and rhythm inflections that I like. I’m not an abc reader nor much of a notation reader for that matter. I play mainly by ear. So that’s my main angle in coming here to this site (apart from enjoying the forums). I hope that’s an idea that helps somebody.

Thanks again for a great site. Please keep it happening.

That probably should have been a topic on it’s own. Bumping up my comment count.

Interesting statistics! Thanks, Jeremy, for keeping this site going, because it’s a real gem. I’m here snooping around often, but rarely have much to add in the way of comments.

Hi Jeremy

The world is full of two types of people. Fantastic folk like yourself who spend time keeping a site like this going and the rest, like me, who just take advantage of it. These things will never change. I will have to try and get my Karma somewhere else.

Have a good New Year. Keep up the good work.

Iain

BTW there is nothing wrong with the Kesh. It is a great dance tune.

There is no such thing as a hack tune - just some that are played more than others!

Iain

There is another way to thank Jeremy. Toss some monetary appreciation his way by clicking the link when you first sign in, or just go to PayPal and send it to jeremy@thesession.org. I have been meaning to all year and finally got off my duff and did it. Merry Christmas, Jeremy!

Your Doing a ’ Great Job ’ here Jeremy !
f4

Jim,,,, raises a good point. Jeremy — how many apostrophe’s joined’ the” session this year?

In defence of the much-reviled Kesh … [!] - Hey, c’mon people, leave the poor old Kesh to quietly simmer away doing its thing … its a great little easy-ish teaching tune, and dancers in ceilidhs love it … if you’re that frustrated with it, why not do a "Tommy Potts" on it and exercise your musical imagination a little … If we persecute the Kesh, where do we stop … ? There are many so-called "played-out" classics, lets not attempt an era of "prohibition" [ !! ], - the wonder with the Irish tradition is that there are so many superb musical delights, constantly refreshed with new additional gems, that we can afford to be magnanimous & tolerant ….. Hail Kesh, and all who sail in her ….

I agree — people who say tunes are rubbish are spoiling things for those coming up behind. If you don’t want to play a tune, then don’t; but to say it is a bad tune — especially when there are loads of recordings by excellent musicians of the very tune you are rubbishing — is a bit out of order. Give a thought to the novices who haven’t played them yet, and stop giving them a bad name.
The Kesh is a cracking tune, and so is Music for a Found Harmonium, and The Butterfly, and all the others that regularly get moaned about. Otherwise they wouldn’t get played so often.
Keep it up Jeremy.

Posted by .

I’m no.10 in the ‘most commments posted list’! Out of 100,000-odd members! That’s truly frightening! I must learn to keep my thoughts to myself more. (I didn’t have to say that.)

I apologise to everyone for all the utter drivel with which I might have cluttered this board over the last year and resolve to post no more than 650 comments in the coming year.

Don’t apologise - it was entertaining drivel! 🙂
(Couldn’t resist, but actually it wasn’t drivel at all; sorry.)

That I can believe. Surprised I’m the #3 tune setting contributor, though, albeit thoroughly outclassed by ceol and JACK. Didn’t realize I’d been scribbling so much of late. Hey, I even posted an alternate setting of the Kesh, from a recording made in 1919!

I try and find novel/historically interesting stuff to write out. Most people are content with the usual. That list of most common tunes matches set lists of people I’ve run into, it’s like something from Celtic Music for Dummies. ;) If there is such a book.

It’s a very, very narrow base of regular contributors - which is why new members should always be wary of advice given. I suspect many hobby based social media platforms have similar profiles of participation.

Posted .

I’m in two of the top lists? Yay. What does this tell about me? 😏 🙂

@Kevin: "I try and find novel/historically interesting stuff to write out."

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your quality posts, like all those transcriptions of those 78rpm recordings available at archive.org (which are not exactly easy to transcribe)! To see how these tunes were played like 100 years ago contributes much to the settings IMO, especially as you always have to say something about them (which apparently isn’t to be taken for granted). Many thanks!

And while I’m at it, many thanks of course to our landlord Jeremy for keeping the mustard running! 🙂 All the very best to you and everyone else in this universe for 2015!

Yes, thank you, Kevin: your transcriptions are *very* much appreciated.

And, Sebastian, thank you too!

"There is no such thing as a hack tune - just some that are played more than others!"

Er —-
"The Butterfly", perhaps?

Nails on a blackboard…

😉

Posted by .

Jeremy,
Keep it up, I gotta admire your dedication. You are providing an important service to the world in this endlessly rich musical genre.

So, I have another 12,500 or so tunes to learn! I hope to live to 150 or so to get them all in the memory bank. I guess I had better cut out the Guinnness & whiskey chasers then.

I will have to show some practical appreciation and donate the next time I have my credit card in my pocket when on the laptop. I hope there are enough members doing this to suitably reward you.

Posted by .