2015: New Year’s Musical Resolutions

2015: New Year’s Musical Resolutions

Happy New Year!
I’m just recovering from a vile cold and feeling lonely, so thought I’d like a bit of chat and general bonhomie, if such exists.
Is there anything you mean to try or achieve in 2015 as far as ITM is concerned?
What *one* thing would you like to improve in your playing?
Is there a player or artiste that you would like to get to see?
Is there a CD or other ITM item that you’d like to acquire?

And do you have a ‘musical ambition’ to achieve during 2015? A session you’d like to visit, or a place you’d like to go?
Just asking (said Noddy, in his irritating way, while the bell tinkled on his hat).
Thanks for any replies, and if you’re too hungover to post, Happy New Year anyway! :)

Re: 2015: New Year’s Musical Resolutions

I would like to be able to play reels at dancing speed, or get a bit nearer that goal, anyway.

I’d like to get to any concert locally that features a player of (don’t kill me) folk music in any form.

I’d like to get some more Martin Hayes cds. I only have one so far.

Yes, I’d like it if my spouse and I were able to get to Blazin’ Beauly this October and join the fiddle/keyboard class. And see Blazin’ Fiddles while we’re at it.

Didn’t even see the New Year in, with my rotten cold; but still feeling hung over on the 1st of January.
Thank you *very* much, Night Nurse!

Is there anything you mean to try or achieve in 2015 as far as ITM is concerned?
>> Improve my current overall, and spend a bit of time on knowing the right names to all the tunes I can play,
learning more about the tunes background, and about their composers where possible.

What *one* thing would you like to improve in your playing?
>>Bowing.

Is there a player or artiste that you would like to get to see?
>>I pray for visits to my area by Andy Irvine, Cathal Hayden, and Tommy Peoples. [Who knows? :-)]

Is there a CD or other ITM item that you’d like to acquire?
>> Clip-on digital violin tuner, for convenience at sessions.

Oh!
And I must get a copy of "Llig’s Mammoth Melodies" this year.

Hmmn - wonder if it has "Titanic" on it?
;-)

Posted by .

My 2015 New Year’s musical resolutions:

Technique:
Sort out my open string rolls; Currently I do a fake D{EGE}D but want to add a decent cran-ish triplet followed by a cut (3DED-{G}D that sounds tighter and more pipes-like. I took a class from Mick Conneely last summer and he was fantastic at demonstrating and describing the technique.

Equipment:
There is a Stainer-style violin in a shop near me that I really want. It has slightly less volume than my current main Strad model, but it is much warmer and darker sounding. It doesn’t have that really cool highly vaulted belly or lion’s head scroll of some Stainers but it is a good looking instrument. It’s about a quarter of the price of my current instrument so I’m thinking that it would make a good backup, or maybe even become my go-to depending on how it holds it’s own in a session.

I would like to say that this will be the year I finally claw my way up to mediocrity, but I know that I’ll only end up moving the goalposts again.

Not To Make One :-)
f4

Claw my way back from a fifteen-year hiatus during which I’ve been fumbling with other styles.

Get out of my own way.

I don’t believe in years. Its just another circuit of the sun. Humans invented the calendar and the clock and just like with most of our other inventions we’ve become slaves to them. The only measure of time I focus on are when I play my fiddle.

Posted by .

So - in fiddle-eons, what would you most like to improve, Gobby?

I resolve that I will change strings on a violin and/or a guitar sometime during the calendar year! Who’s with me? YAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!

"So - in fiddle-eons, what would you most like to improve, Gobby?"..
Well firstly I don’t think I have many eons left in me Mollie, but after ten minutes (which of course I don’t believe in) of struggling to find and answer to your question, I honestly can’t. The thing is that I’m always content to just play and my improvement takes care of itself. What is there to desire when you are content? Fiddling keeps me happy, that’s all I know.

Posted by .

You’re right of course - you have the same irritating habit as my husband. I too feel at my happiest when alone, just playing all the tunes I love on the fiddle.
Still, I would like to improve… (sigh)

But you will!

Posted by .

Continue learning new tunes at a steady pace. Get in more practice time on my accordion, as I am nearing the point where I can play more than a handful of dance tunes at session speed.

I’d really like to master the Morning Thrush on my whistle. I’m getting there, but the ornamentation just doesn’t sound quite right.

I think ‘morning thrush’ means something different in Australia. I’ve never heard of getting it from your whistle.

Posted by .

After giving it more thought Molly, I guess my current ambition (if ‘ambition’ is the right word, because I’ve never even had the ambition to be ambitious) is to be able to add variations to mt playing on the fly. But again, this has nothing to do with any clock or calendar time. I’m just aiming at it.

Posted by .

My main one is to get drunker quicker at the start of sessions so as to attain appreciably before the end of them that state of equilibrium and mastery which time and again I feel poised to enter just as the cry of "See your drinks off, please..!!" shatters the idyll.

:-(:-(:-(;-)

:) That split second of celestial happiness…