Soundcloud archive of some recordings of Paul Davis playing concertina and whistle - can you help with some tune names?

Soundcloud archive of some recordings of Paul Davis playing concertina and whistle - can you help with some tune names?

I recently became aware, thanks to The Session, of a memorial page on Terry Macgee’s website to Paul Davis, flute and concertina, restorer, dealer and player. I have been told that Paul was a major source of flutes for players in Ireland, in the days before early makers of copies of London-made flutes like Terry McGee, and a fair list of makers now,

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Davies.htm.

I sent Terry this email;
Dear Terry,
I recently came across a memorial page for Paul Davis on your site. I wish I had seen this a lot earlier

I knew Paul when he was living In Lancaster in 1973. I probably met him through the folk club, the Lancaster Folk Stir. He was living in a flat with a stunning young woman (I thought).

I was getting interested in Irish music and played a very small number of tunes on tin whistle. He offered to sell me a portable cassette recorder, one of the first generation of battery driven ones. He agreed to record some tunes for me. I have about 26 files of tunes he recorded for me. Mostly on the concertina, but some really nice
playing of slip jigs on whistle. Quite a few set dance tunes which were popular at the time. Nothing by him playing the flute, sadly.

I regret that I lost touch with Paul after I left Lancaster. I was on a one year course at the teacher training college. I have a few clear memories of him. One is of him filling a the crack in a flute head joint with a resin mixed with the dust from a sanded down flute (sorry!). Soon after that he set off on the bus to Heysham where he caught the ferry to Ireland. He had his flutes in a Gladstone/doctors’ bag.

That year he travelled to Birmingham for the Fleadh, the heats for the All Ireland championships. I think he was mostly interested in being there to meet customers. He was persuaded to enter the concertina competition to prevent a player of the English system concertina being an embarrassment by making the final in Ireland by dint of being the only entrant. I can remember the words of the adjudicator who compared his vamping on the lower notes to the use of the regulators on the pipes. You can hear some examples on the files I have rescued from the tape.

He was very helpful to me at a time when it was difficult to find out much at all about traditional Irish music and LPs were few.

If you think other people would be interested in the recordings, please let me know, where they might be hosted? Your website?

Yours,

Philip
……………………………………

Terry suggested that I put them up on Soundcloud. I have started converting the files to mp3 format and uploading them.

https://soundcloud.com/philip-whittaker

I really should have found out how to give the archive another from my own. I do not recall being given the choice. Also I’d like them to appear in the order of the filenames. Will I have to start again and upload them in order?

Before I do any more, could anyone help me with the names of numbers 6,7,12,15,and 18? I’d like to put them up with their correct names.

I hope that frequenters of the Session will enjoy the recordings, and will continue to post memories of Paul if they have any.

Re: Soundcloud archive of some recordings of Paul Davis playing concertina and whistle - can you help with some tune names?

Paul Davis excellent musician.
Another alternative could be Irish Traditional Music Archive | The National Archives

Re: Soundcloud archive of some recordings of Paul Davis playing concertina and whistle - can you help with some tune names?

First tune on 7 sounds like Old Copperplate reel.Track 6 on Concertina is the Pipe on theHob.

#12 is a Paddy Fahy reel. Paul Davies played it on an "Outlet" LP record by "The Armagh Pipers’ Club".

Posted by .

#15 is also by Paddy Fahy.
#6 is one of the two jigs known as "The Pipe On The Hob".

Posted by .

#18 is "Bill Hart’s".

Posted by .

6: The Pipe On The Hob (jig)
7: The Old Copperplate; The Five Mile Chase (reels)
12: Paddy Fahy’s; Paddy Fahy’s (reels)
15: Paddy Fahy’s; The House on the Hill (jigs)
18: Bill Harte’s (jig); The Bag of Spuds (reel); The maids of Feakle (reel)

Thanks for the help with the names of the tunes.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help with the names of the tunes. Now to get all the files uploaded.
Thanks,

Philip

@Philip W: "I really should have found out how to give the archive another from my own. I do not recall being given the choice. Also I’d like them to appear in the order of the filenames. Will I have to start again and upload them in order?"

You could create a separate playlist for Paul Davies (with an own image and description etc.). Then add the tracks to that playlist in the desired order… probably better then uploading everything again.

Something like this: https://soundcloud.com/megapop-1/sets/paul-davies

(Just as a serving suggestion. I’ll delete this playlist as soon as you got yours…)

Playlist - thnaks for the suggestion.

sebastian the m̈etapop,

Thanks for the suggestion. Clearly there is much more you can do in Soundcloud, which I joined yesterday, than I realised. I’ll have a go at creating a playlist. Thanks for your advice.

Philip W

Playlist - thanks for the suggestion.

sebastian the m̈etapop,

Thanks for the suggestion. Clearly there is much more you can do in Soundcloud, which I joined yesterday, than I realised. I’ll have a go at creating a playlist. Thanks for your advice.

Philip W

I first met Paul Davis in the early 1970’s when I was trying to buy my first flute. Complaining that the three I had bought were useless he said he had a great one for me and to meet him next week at a London Fleadh Cheoil competition.
I saw that famous large Gladstone bag full of oiled flutes wrapped in newspaper. I bought an 8-keyed with an obscure (1870’s) musical dealer’s name & London address stamp. Likewise I would come across Paul playing concertina at sessions -discretely, low key.
Years later I found the keys’ under-side were all stamped by (Henry) Wylde, an ex- Ruddall & Rose apprentice and likely one of the many fine flutes he produced for dealers rather than in his own name.
It continues in my legacy - most years were for hymns in church. Being an Improved-Pratten (large-holed/large volume) ideal volume for intros/ harmonies to a large congregation.
I do wonder sometimes what music this flute played during the hundred years before it came into my care….

Very interesting to hear Paul Davis/Davies playing the concertina and tin whistle. Thanks Phillip. Are there any recordings of Paul playing the flute?

Thanks GW I knew about that recording. I but was thinking of recordings, tapes made at folk festivals or folk clubs that are archived.

Armagh Piper’s Club - Songs of the chanter can be heard here on YouTube with Paul Davis in fine form on flute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8XdTBnE5pU

Are there other recordings/tapes of Paul Davis playing flute out there?