Buying a whistle in Belfast

Buying a whistle in Belfast

Does anyone have any suggestions about where you can buy a D tin whistle in Belfast? I’m interested in trying something other than a Feadog/Walton/Generation that suits reels and jigs but can’t stretch more than 15 pounds. If it helps, I’ve been playing for about a year now. Thanks

Re: Buying a whistle in Belfast

Have a look at bigwhistle.co.uk
You don’t get a chance to try before you buy but there’s a large range to browse.

Posted by .

You could try Mattchetts, the small shop beside City Hall. I recommend the Tony Dixon whistles, which they stock. I think they have a brass one for about £17.00. Something different, voice-wise, would be a tapering Clarke’s tin whistle, soft & ‘chiffy’. Big Whistle would be good for this, and many others!

Posted by .

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. Since I’ll be visiting I’ll try Matchett’s but I could try bigwhistle when I have a fixed address again.

Glad to see that Matchett’s is still there; I bought all of my whistles there in 1975 - 1976.

I ended up a very happy Matchett’s customer with a Tony Dixon S soprano. I reckon I’ll go back and grab a C while I’m here too.