my Session Confession…don’t tell anyone…..

my Session Confession…don’t tell anyone…..

I’m a Flute Player and am playing F# on on Julie Delaney( The tune I’m told is in B flat, so I guess it should be an F Natural).
And on the third part of the Flogging Reel I’m playing F# yet again on those pesky F Naturals….
There you have it…… I may do it again, since I enjoy both tunes
BenS

Posted by .

Re: my Session Confession…don’t tell anyone…..

Tut Tut.
It’s people like you that a corrupting the purity of Irish Traditional music and I hope your session leader takes you round the back for a good kicking.
TTFN
PP

Aw, people will just write it off as an out of tune flute, Ben…*grin*

And if everybody is a session leader for part of the evening, just think of the number of kickings you’ll get. :-)

Hey, I’ve had people specifically ask for kickings, she said pointedly. *snort*

You’re likely to find quite a crowd round back getting their kickings. Bring your instruments with you.

…but I get a kick outta youuu….

Joe

Maybe all the players can form kicking circle with each one kicking the person to their right. That way nobody gets left out.

As long as there’s no "cheating b-st-rds" there, Kerri. :-)

Heh, they would be in the middle of the circle for the punchings and head buttings. ;^0

Why do you think they call it the *Flogging* Reel….?

Posted .

I always wondered about that…why DO they call it the Flogging Reel?

After the way keyless flute players flog it to death with those F sharps….

No, more likely it’s a euphemism for what they *really* meant.

Posted .

Jesus, and here I thought that was *every* reel!

One of my pet peeves: keyless flute players not playing the accidentals. It’s kind of like biting down on tin foil with your fillings.

When I’m in a session with these offenders I usually end up sitting out the tune, or going for a pint. I can sort of tolerate it if the offender started the tune, but if it shows up in a string of tunes I started and enjoy playing — it’s a drag.

I understand that keyed flutes are expensive, and that "half-holing" is tricky — but please have some compassion. How do the rest of you (that don’t play flute) feel when this happens?

Jack, see my posting about oxymorons & LNM! I agree completely! I guess what drives me more bonkers is when a flute player is playing completely flat, yet they have their headjoint/tuning slide pulled out by a mile. I want to shake them & say, well, you know, could you PLEASE push it in???? Like driving with your blinker on continuously…. Grrrrr!!!!!!

I’m sorry, what’s coming over me! I’ll just lie down. *sob*

Which thread do I respond to? Do we have parallel threads going now?

There’s parallel threads going through my head and I don’t know from which side of the bed I’m posting.

Yikes, I’d better roll over and go back to sleep. And for God’s sake don’t eat any more of that foccacia late at night.

I have a theory about the Flogging Reel. It is one of the 69.13% of Irish reels that is really Scottish. In Scotland it was, at some time, known as ‘The Flagon’. Imagine a Scotsman visiting Ireland and playing this tune to some Irish musicians. One of them asks him, "What do you call that tune?". He replies, "The Flagon." The Irishman, hearing the word out of context, equates it with the word that he would spell ‘FLOGGING’.

Or maybe someone changed it just for a laff.

Sorry it’s a bit late in the thread …anyone fancy a Punch in the Dark?

Jim

Jim… that’s a clever pick-up-line. How about; would anyone fancy a gander in the pratie hole? or how about; would anyone fancy a bird in the bush? This could be an x-rated hijacking. Is this a family website?

I have often wondered, just what the heck is a gander, and while you’re at it, what’s a pratie hole? Is it like looking down a ground-hog hole in a meadow?

A gander is a male goose, a pratie hole, I’ve been told, is a potato hole, which is totally unlike a mangel pit. :)

(Of course, a gander is also slang for taking a short walk to go see something, as well.)

Uh… yea… if you know what I mean. *wink*

How about this for a confession, I play The Foxhunters (reel) in G but a lot of people play it in A, so instead of re-learning the tune I play it by moving my fingers up so my middle finger is over the B hole , shocking I know but its do-able ……..

"my middle finger is over the B hole" Jayzus… if we keep this x-rated discussion going Jeremy’s going to delete it for sure!