Bear Creek Hop

Re: Bear Creek Hop

Thanks, Gobby. If that is it, I can’t make sense out of it so I guess I can’t play this nutty piece.

I appreciate you posting that link though and taking the time to reply.

Posted by .

I found lots of versions on Youtube just now. I just can’t figure it out though, how to play it.

Posted by .

The only reason I was aware of Bear Creek Hop is because I downloaded about 200 fiddle tunes (MP3) from a site that I would swear was called ‘Northeast Fiddle recordings“. I just searched for it but I must have the name wrong. Anyhow, in the version I have of it I would swear that the fiddler is plucking one of the strings with his left hand. Like you I can’t work it out. Not that I usually play that stuff, but it is catchy and I like to try things if I can’t work out what the player is doing. I’ll keep looking for the link. I only had a quick look at the music but I suspect it misses the plucked not that I’m talking about (if indeed it is plucked).

Hmmm! Looking at some of the fiddlers on my downloads, it may have been Northwest and not Northeast. Still searching.

Yes, here it is… http://www.voyagerrecords.com/nwffrmp3.htm
The version of Bear Creek hop I referred to is by Jim Evans. I’ll have to leave you to find it. But there are stacks of free downloads on this site if you are interested in this fiddle style. Even though I focus on Irish, I’ve picked a few up off here and I like to listen whatever. I have to admit that Bear Creek hop did have me stumped (till I gave up).

Well, I emailed Charlie and he was very generous and sent me the notes. It might take awhile to learn this tune, but what fun it will be and I am surprized that the plucking isn’t gonna be too hard. I don’t have a clue how to upload this tune here. It’s in pdf format. I can send it through email though.

Posted by .