Kathleen Nesbitt, Irish Fiddle Tutor

Kathleen Nesbitt, Irish Fiddle Tutor

Has anyone got the Irish Fiddle Tutor book and CD by Kathleen Nesbitt. I’m thinking of buying it but before I splash out I’d quite like to know what’s on the CD. And a few opinions about it! Thanks.

Re: Kathleen Nesbitt, Irish Fiddle Tutor

Yep I have it. The book is great if you want to learn some great tunes. The cd is a great advantage if you haven’t heard the tunes before. Kathleen plays all the tunes from the book. It can also be useful if you want to learn a couple of the tunes by ear. I only got it recently and didnt get much time to use it yet. It seems pretty good to me anyway and I’ve been playing fiddle for about six years.
Carrie*

Thanks Carrie this is really helpfull, just what I needed to know - I wasn’t sure how many of the tunes were on the CD, but if they’re all on there then that’s great and I’ll get myself a copy. Thanks again.

Kathleen managed to flog this (slightly discounted) to my girlfriend while at the Scoil Eigse last year!! It is, I think, better than many tutors (I haven’t seen the Matt Cranitch one) and has an introduction to things like modality as well as the usuall explanations of rhythm, ornaments, slurring and introductions to a number of tunes. The CD covers the exercises and tunes in the main section of the book, but it does NOT cover the tunes at the end of the book. The tunes are well played by Kathleen herself, and the bowing is clear enough to hear (by my ear anyway) and thus it is possible for me to pick up tunes I don’t know from the CD without using the book.

To me, particular strengths of this book include the tune section at the back because it has suggested bowing, the chapter on airs, and the bibliography / discography.

A friend of mine who used to know the children said that Frances used to be the real star to be playing music with, but that she was real shy or something like that. I think its a shame Frances didn’t get used for the demonstration pictures in the book. I guess these days even a fiddle tutor is orientated around good looks!!!!

Check:

http://www.traditional-direct.com/learn_to_play_fiddle.html

If you have any particular questions, I’m sure Kathleen will be able to answer them (she is quite approachable), her email is available at the above link.

If you are intent on buying a fiddle tutor, it is worth getting this one.

Posted by .

I meant to say in the first paragraph, that it is was possible to pick up the tunes WITH THE SLURRING by ear from the CD.

Posted by .

I have a copy of the 2003 Kathleen Nesbitt fiddle tutor book "fidil" which I purchased back in 2003. However i’m missing the companion CD (I never actually received one when I purchased the book!) After taking a break from trad playing I’m now back playing again and delving back into all the books and recordings that I have. Does anybody have a copy of this companion CD that they may be willing to burn a copy for me?

Thanks
jon_bailey@mac.com