M. Couturieux Fiddle

M. Couturieux Fiddle

Hey guys :)

I’m after buying a fiddle labeled M. Couturieux. The label and fiddle are both in immaculate condition but I want to know an idea of when it was made! Does anyone know any history on this workshop?

Re: M. Couturieux Fiddle

Out of curiosity, is there anything like Langwill’s for strings?

There are quite a few dictionaries of violin makers you can find online. Just go to https://openlibrary.org/ and type "violin makers" or "violin luthiers" into the search bar :)

Hi the fiddle is French. The one i have also has a FRANCE sticker and an A LA Ville / DE CREMONE /ATELIERS DE LUTHERIE /FONDES EN /1780 sticker. If i remember right there is an area in France that was responsible for violins Mont…….. something or other. I would say it’s around the 1920s Nice tone. if its not rude how much are you paying. I believe mine is in the $900 range and would be an intermediate violin
Bryan

Hi
If i remember right there is an area in France that was responsible for violins Mont……..

The name was closer to Miracourt

Mirecourt.

Couturieux ran a workshop around the beginning of the c20 - about 1880-1910 I think. Quality is very variable, but he used ‘proper’ construction techniques (full blocks and linings) and his instruments tend to be towards the better end of Mirecourt workshop fiddles. prices usually £500 - 1200.

postie - William Henley’s ‘Universal Dictionary of Violin and Bow Makers’ is the string equivalent of Langwill’s

Thank you, MarkM!