Where can I buy quality whistles in Canada?

Where can I buy quality whistles in Canada?

Are there any reputable shops in Canada that you recommend? I’m looking for higher end, high D.

Re: Where can I buy quality whistles in Canada?

What part of Canada? Are you looking to buy in person or online?

I just snooped around in your profile and see you’re in the prairies - Sorry, I don’t know much about what’s available in that region.

For higher-end whistles, online is generally the way to go. It is a pain to not be able to try before you buy, but even here in Ireland it’s hard to find a shop that stocks higher-end whistles - most of the shops I know just sell a few cheapies (Generation, Clarke, Oak, Feadog), maybe a few Chieftain low whistles, and sometimes Dixon and/or Susatos. The closest I ever was to your neck of the woods was Calgary, and I never encountered a retailer that sold high-end whistles there.

You’ll find many makers selling their whistles online via their own websites, and Jerry Freeman sells his tweaked whistles on eBay (OK, they didn’t start off as high-end whistles, but after he works his magic they sound very nice indeed).

David O’Brien is a whistle maker based in Canada (BC I believe).

Internet is best, and you can often go directly to the maker.

Agreed, online is the best way to go. If you lived in the Vancouver area there are some folk music stores that sell higher end whistles from time to time, but usually they will be Tony Dixons, Susatos and occasionally you might get a Chieftain, but the majority of the whistles raved about on Chiff and Fipple will be online purchases.

Posted by .

See this discussion:
https://thesession.org/discussions/30877
I can personally attest to Jerry Freeman’s "tweaked" whistles.
I have the "mellow dog" and "blackbird" series. They are fantastic!
(Check them out on ebay.)

Freeman whistles are good. Seqrch for Brother Steve’s website for more information.

Thanks everyone, I’ll check them out!