Glasgow reel (tamlins)

Glasgow reel (tamlins)

Is the Glasgow reel an overplayed, oh my god i can’t believe this guy is playing this god forsaken ,please make it stop type of tune? I recently found and sort of conquered it and really like it. But I’m fairly new to my two sessions and I am a fragile soul..I don’t like getting the eye roll.if you know what I mean..I have read various trains of thought on this tune. am the Rodney Dangerfield of banjo players just trying to get a little respect..(save the banjo jokes here).I did ask my session leader about irish washer women and he said it is absolutely no problem.so at the next session I started it and BAM! Instant eye roll.. Any thoughts??

Glasgow reel (tamlins)

Is the Glasgow reel an overplayed, oh my god i can’t believe this guy is playing this god forsaken ,please make it stop type of tune? I recently found and sort of conquered it and really like it. But I’m fairly new to my two sessions and I am a fragile soul..I don’t like getting the eye roll.if you know what I mean..I have read various trains of thought on this tune. I am the Rodney Dangerfield of banjo players just trying to get a little respect..(save the banjo jokes here).I did ask my session leader about irish washer women and he said it is absolutely no problem.so at the next session I started it and BAM! Instant eye roll.. Any thoughts??

Re: Glasgow reel (tamlins)

You can’t please everyone. If it’s an open session that allows any tune you want to play (sounds like it is) then I’d say go for it. I would probably avoid playing the same eye-roll-gaining tunes week after week but everything in moderation right?

Just out of curiosity is this the Rumson session?

If the4 session leader is happy about it, ignore the rest. What you often find in sessions is that the more experienced, better players are always willing to make allowances and help newcomers along the road. Even if it is a tune they’ve played a thousand times before they can always amuse themselves by thinking up new variations and ornamentation. It is the not so hot young bucks, who were in the same position as you not very long ago, who tend to think that simple tunes are now beneath their dignity.

FWIW:

Getting eye rolls and heavy sighs is not fun, I agree.
I might simply ask what the story is there - no need to be rude, we are all doing the best we can.

Also, your "leader" saying "no problem" may have simply meant that everybody was sure to know it.
That did not necessarily mean that everybody wanted to hear it right then.
So no worries, likely.
🙂

One thing you might do is to sit back a bit for awhile (you said you were new, right?), and listen to what the older sessioneers are picking for the regular tunes. Could be that, like a lot of tunes at sessions, you simply selected some that HAVE gotten tired for now.

Do not worry - they will be back. That is one of the things about this music that occasionally tickles me -
a tune that was really hot twenty five years ago but got over-played or kind of forgotten, gets trundled out
and is immediately embraced again.

In ITM, where the good stuff is concerned, everything old will be new again.
We all win.
🙂

Posted by .

FWIW:

Getting eye rolls and heavy sighs is not fun, I agree.
I might simply ask what the story is there - no need to be rude, we are all doing the best we can.

Also, your "leader" saying "no problem" may have simply meant that everybody was sure to know it.
That did not necessarily mean that everybody wanted to hear it right then.
So no worries, likely.
🙂

One thing you might do is to sit back a bit for awhile (you said you were new, right?), and listen to what the older sessioneers are picking for the regular tunes. Could be that, like a lot of tunes at sessions, you simply selected some that HAVE gotten tired for now.

Do not worry - they will be back. That is one of the things about this music that occasionally tickles me -
a tune that was really hot twenty five years ago but got over-played or kind of forgotten, gets trundled out
and is immediately embraced again.

In ITM, where the good stuff is concerned, everything old will be new again.
We all win.
🙂

Posted by .

Go for it. It’s the eye rollers who have the problem.

In my eyes, yes it is a tune that has become very hackneyed through being overplayed, but i don’t roll my eyes at others. I group the glasgow reel along with farewell to erin (4 parter), drowsy maggie, morrison’s, kesh as being tunes i’d be happy not to hear again for a decade or so as well as a few of the more common Gordon Duncan tunes. Not all commonly played tunes tire on me though.. ..eg i still like out on the ocean, and i still just about like jenny’s chickens. So i guess its personal, but i’d say what is a new discovery for you could easily be hackneyed to others in your session. Best to try to learn tunes that are already being played in the session if you want to avoid rolled eyes.

Posted by .

If the 4 part Farewell to Erin is the one with 3 parts in Amin and the last part in Amaj, that is a bloody fantastic tune! I’m also secretly a fan of the Kesh, but shhhh, don’t tell anyone…

For me, the problem with Tam Lin isn’t that it’s overplayed, or that it’s always played badly (it’s not). For me, I just think it sounds like a rock song, a little too hook-y and contrived.

Yep that tune. Great tune but played to death and usually way too fast. Give me the jolly tinker in its place any day. Having said that a tune like Farewell to Erin i would still enjoy listening to someone else playing it solo and well.

Posted by .

Funny you should say that - since The Jolly Tinker became one of my ‘go-to’ tunes when I feel the need for an Amin reel, I hardly ever start Farewell to Erin in sessions anymore.

The Glasgow Reel has the potential for loads of cracking variations. On fiddle esp., and some of them are tricky and put people off learning them (hehe!)

Tamlin is one of only two tunes during which I get up, leave the pub, and walk around outside for a bit until the godforsaken row has stopped.

Posted by .

Thanks all..I will keep this one tucked away for a while…. Ben..that was funny!

Thanks Scott. 🙂

Not so funny when it’s p!ssing down with rain though. 😏

Posted by .

Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the other, Ben?

Ah. I was hoping you wouldn’t ask …

[… now where’s that button that’ll make the script go all tiny ? … 😉 ]

Posted by .

Oh go on then. It’s the Jug of Slugs.

Posted by .

The jig of ethnic slurs?

BTW - apropos of nothing really - have you been vandalising again? 😉

Posted by .

Ben, i’m a respectable citizen. I’m insulted!

Oh I do beg your pardon, Mr O’B. Or, as you have sometimes been known "Mr E Contributor". 🙂

Posted by .

You get a couple banjo players together and soon enough they’ll pay Tamlins.

It’s easy to see why, because it dwells down there on the low notes some of the other instruments can’t play and has cool chromatics.

I love it because I can play the whole thing on a medium-sized whistle.

A Low G whistle that is. You can half-hole the B flat note while doing the ‘rocking’ phrase, a nice effect on the whistle.

Omigod -
Fact is, these are two reels I have never even briefly cared for -
Tamlin and the Growling and Grumbling.

In a short stint with barndance band near me, they asked me to learn G&G,
and I cunningly managed to avoid doing so.

Even when actually PAID to play it, I could not.

(This should in no way discourage anyone from trucking right on out
and learning this popular and time-tested classic. Surely the problem is with me.
"There are no bad tunes…")

Posted by .

BTW the Irish version of Jig Of Slurs has most/all of the "slurs" taken out of it.

Do you mean ‘The Pet in the Kitchen,’ Richard? As played on Frankie Kennedy and Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh’s album?

I tried to find a YouTube video of someone playing it — being a very nice tune — but search results did not pan out. They did, however, include: "Pet Chicken helps out in the Kitchen," "Cat Wearing a Shark Costume Cleans Kitchen on a Roomba," "Oops, I Let the Cow In," "Ruby the Wombat Goes Crazy in the Kitchen," and best of all, "The Amazing Raccoon Willie!!!"

(all of which would be fabulous tune names)

Either tune names, or crazed headlines from the tabloids.

"Ozzy Osbourne Snorts Ants".

Posted by .