A SoundCloud upload from me

A SoundCloud upload from me

Hi,

Decided to start up on SoundCloud with a file of me playing some reels. Looking for some comments/feedback on this as I look to upload more stuff online in future…!

The Piper’s Despair / Matt Peoples’ / The Sailor on the Rock / Dark Haired Lass

You’ll probably recognise a few if not all of them, they are some of my favourite tunes atm:

https://soundcloud.com/dan-foster-7/reels

Posted .

Re: A SoundCloud upload from me

My God Man!! What the heck!!?? That was… Hot! Really Hot! What is that, a preview of your debut album!? Good Lord!

Seriously, what kind of criticism is there to give for playing like that?Goodness, I’d take lessons from you! And pay you good too.

Much respect and appreciation for sharing! I will now be reviewing every comment you’ve ever left on any of my discussions.

Yeah, Dan is the real deal, plays like a champ and trolls with the best of them. Plus he’s kind of cute.

Great stuff Dan!

Nice job, Dan.

Good playing, Dan! Nice steady timing and lots of drive there 🙂

Dynamite!
Class playing. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful stuff, Dan.

Maybe someone like James Kelly can give you some useful feedback and improvement points, but it sounds great to me, a mere mortal.

Are you getting the sound you want? What are you using to record this?

Since you asked for some feedback ideas… let me humbly provide you with some ideas. No, it’s not my place to do so, because you can clearly play circles around me, but let me give you something to work with.

One of the things that blows my mind about James Kelly’s playing is that there are little bursts of fireworks that go off on the strings he’s not playing. My favorite example is on the Capel Street album… listen carefully to the cut with the Longford Collector on it. Just little starbursts of resonance from the other strings that aren’t carrying the melody. Worth the download even for this one track.

Can you get more out of the other strings? Just to bring another dimension out of the fiddle. Another layer of detail. This is something I’m trying to do in my own playing. Mostly failing so far, but getting there.

What does this set sound like 20 percent slower? Are there different things that come out? Is there anything you’re glossing over at this tempo that you do cleaner at the slower tempo?

Can you streamline it? Edit out some busyness? What happens then? Do you like the result?

I’m not saying this recording sounds too busy… I think it sounds great! I tend to like that driving bow style though I’m not great at it myself. I find that when I record things I do better stripping things down some and letting the melody speak for itself, and just putting a little spin on the note, rather than ornamenting a lot. But that’s a stylistic thing. Your mileage and preferences may vary.

Lilt the tunes, vocally. Does the act of lilting them suggest a different way to sculpt a phrase, here and there?

Try a couple of takes, imagining yourself playing with a piper on one, and with a concertina on the other. Does anything change? Do you like the way it changes?

That said, I enjoyed this clip tremendously, and would love to hear more from you! Great playing, sir!

Good playing Dan. I think a guitar would have improved it 100% though.

You’re wrong there Tøm - nice loud clacketty spoons would have done the trick.

Thanks all,

Tom I prefer bouzouki but yeah it would’ve been nice to have some backing I guess.

Great post Jason, just the kind of stuff I was looking for, might slow my playing of reels down a bit and see how it sounds. And breaking the tunes down a bit might also help, cheers!

D.

Posted .

"Tom I prefer bouzouki but yeah it would’ve been nice to have some backing I guess."

I was of course joking, my tastes in ITM are not so narrow that I immediately discount anything without a guitar… 🙂

Keep it up — I think Jason covered much of what I thought, though if I do think of anything I’ll be sure to report back!

"my tastes in ITM are not so narrow that I immediately discount anything without a guitar"

Even though "guitar playing totally trashes irish music" - Arthur ‘Philistine’ Gondolor

Posted .

What it needs is a nice, juicy djembe.

You coming to Lancaster?

Good man Dan. No advice i can give accept to say something that Martin Hayes said along the lines of "play the tune how you want to sound". Which to me kind of means don’t just do the things you do to tunes, but really keep in mind how you want the tune to sound and bringing out the unique character of each tune listening to the effect of what your playing, which you’re already doing on fire. You can’t go wrong mate! And i hope you don’t mind me posting your slide set, because it’s class and deserves to be listened to, and it can’t hurt to help boost your confidence further!
;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D0fpcnF9kQ

Posted by .

Nice playing, Dan!