Epicentre of ITM

Epicentre of ITM

So where is the epicentre of ITM? If Dublin isn’t, where is? Is it a county, or a city? Does it even have to be in Ireland? Which places can lay claim to be the heartlands, and why? Is there a “virtual epicentre” these days? 🙂

P.S. Joe, cos, sorry for the blatant theft of this question. I’d rather start another discussion than hijack the “Which session member” thread and turn it into one of these multi-warhead kitchen sink affairs 🙂

Re: Epicentre of ITM

Don’t earthquakes have epicentres?
Trevor

They certainly do, and so do [underground] atomic blasts. So maybe I shouldn’t have used the phrase “virtual epicentre” as it’s almost a contradiction in terms. But I’m just innovating within the tradition, and the phrase will probably die out, so there’ll be no harm done 🙂

Didn`t Jesus say `i am with you always when two or three gather in my name?`Well I reckon the same applies to an ITM session anywhere on the planet.The Epicentre is in the mind of the beholder.

Posted by .

Thieve away, Orson. Help yourself. Dublin is the epicentre ,cos I happen to be here, of course. Sheeeesh!

Joe

Ah Grasshopper, the Universe has no centre or an infinite number depending upon your viewpoint.
Music exists in the non-cartesian space of the Dreamtime, the platonic nexus of the metaworld.
To reach it you must not travel
To find it you must not look
To open the door you must through away the key.
OM
PP

Ah, now I am enlightened 🙂

Cody, Wyoming, USA, population 8,000 and change.

Posted .

but only as long as Will lives there… ;)

No doubt at all, it’s Cody Wyoming. I thought everybody knew that already. Sheesh. Like there’s even any discussion.

Congrats on getting the Will’s cap, Zina.

Now, back to learning my new favorite tune (of the day): Trip to Pakistan.

–Eliot

Posted by .

John J’s reply: short, elegant, beautiful, and in my opinion, absolutely true.

Jerry

Ok ok… I love Joe’s sense of humor, but the question it raises does have merit. Where is the epicenter of ITM? We might all agree it started in Ireland, (Dublin’s in Ireland last time I checked) but where in Ireland did it start, develop, and become something that would eventually spread all around the globe? The ITM that we talk about here is dance music, and the dances are originally European, and I’ve understood that people returning from Europe to Ireland with these dances asked the local musicians to “play something so we can dance like this.” But a question for scholars might be; where in Ireland did that happen first? The answer might be unattainable because any evidence most likely has long since disappeared or was forgotten… but it’s an interesting question.

Well for me it would have to be Sligo - or at least the county Sligo of seventy-ish years ago.

Posted by .

Kilmaley, Co. Clare

Evidence lads… evidence is what we need.

ITM resides in my liver.

Yes, let’s keep perpetuating the myth that Cody is the epicenter of ITM – then maybe a few other musicians will move here and Richard and I will have someone to play with. 🙂

In the meantime, I can just imagine all of the non-USA session.org members consulting their World Atlases, thinking to themselves “where in the hell is Wyoming….?”

Aimee

I don’t know if it would be just non-USA session members, Aimee. Many people in this country confuse Iowa or Indiana with Idaho. I guess it evens out though-I’m not sure I could tell the difference between Delaware and Rhode Island.

The epicentre can’t be out here in the west though, as this is the home of both kinds of music…. Country AND Western.

Jerry

Maybe if us non-US types knew Cody was near Yellowstone, that might be a lure … or that it was “The Home of Buffalo Bill” 🙂
http://www.codychamber.org/

Sorry I’ve neglected this thread after starting it - in my defence I was otherwise engaged i.e. making the long trek from Norf to Sarf London to get to fatwah’s new session. Maybe Lewisham is the new epicentre? 🙂

(PS I nearly used a fairly common UK term for Americans at the start of this message. It seems to have an extremely rude alternative meaning in the US. Lucky we have Google to help avoid international faux pas like this. I’m sure some of the US crowd would have spat their coffee across the room!)

Orson, write which term was it, so we foreigners know what to avoid! 🙂

If not the epicentre, we sure had the walls shakin’ last night Orson. Good fun.

But I refer you to a recent-ish thread, where it turns out that, if you use the number of sessions posted here as an index, per head of population, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man can both lay claim to being epicentres:

https://thesession.org/discussions/2807#comment55345

….but you’re right, it has to be Lewisham these days

:~}

Does it have anything to do with Prez Lyndon Johnson’s pronunciation of “My fellow Americans”?

Posted by .

mer·kin ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mûrkn)
n. A pubic wig for women.

Posted by .

I hadn’t heard about his pronunciation before, but yes, it has everything to do with it 🙂

What’s wrong with you PP?
You’ve started to really make me laugh of late - love the hippy Kung Fu ref. As they say in Glasgow, ‘was this Kung Fu?’
‘Nah! he only had a couple of drinks’

Posted by .

It’s easy to find the epicentre. Just check the nacionalities of all the members of this site. then find in a map the middle point. I think somewhere in the Atlantic ocean. Another way is opening a discussion about were to meet all us for a world session :{)

Posted by .

Cath, stop it! :¬) You’re making me laugh too much. That was rather crude!

Newcastle?
London?

No-one’s mentioned Galway yet. Surely the city and the county have a fair claim on the title?

Doolin’ could be the epicentre of “tourist ITM”. 🙂

Kerry Brown, your links don’t work anymore!

Posted by .

My apologies for making you blush young Conan.

Posted by .

Is it a sort of drop in centre for Irish musicians to go to when they feel like having what we call in Scotland “an eppy” - that is having a fit in Amurcan parlance?

Posted by .

kinda a drop down center…free helmets at teh door…
(errkk is that in poor taste?…

uh.. i didnt meant to crack one.. i meant to ask: please can someone explain the Kung fu joke ..i can’t get on with my day otherwise
like.. i am trying to spell kung fu backward “fuk-ung..” .hmm….

According to our enlightened state legislators, the navel of the world is Idaho. I’m still trying to explain what music is to them.
George

They’ll never get it. Our legislators are stupid twits and you know it. ‘sides, what about Wieser? there’s a huge fiddle contest there.
Personally, I think music flows over such meger bounds that humans make.
~jenna~

Murfbox could be right. it says ‘Kilmalley’ on the inside of my flute box(!)…

vboyd, explaination emailed to you today. Too rude to explain on site I’m afraid.

Posted by .

Uh… what happened to the Music in Galway thread?

Posted by .

ps - Conan, empty your inbox, will ya! 🙂

Posted by .

What kind of an entre is an Epic entre?

Maybe the 26oz “Buffalo Bill Prime Rib” from Cassie’s Supper Club & Dance Hall? 🙂
See http://www.cassies.com

Cath, my links to my songs from the rest of the site don’t work and vice versa. You can follow the first link I posted to hear MP3s and follow the second link to see a bunch of other garbage (photos, bio, schedule). It’s simple to fix my mistake but I have some troubles updating my site.

There’s an “Epcot center” in Florida, Joe. If they have an ITM pavilion that would settle our disputes…

Thanks Kerri

Posted by .

Okey Doke, Kerri. Let’s go find out. Now where’s me plane timetable.

joe

Even a cursory glance at the session information on this site show there are about 4 times as Many sessions in the UK per head of population than the US and twice as many as in Eire.
PP

And maybe we can see a big futuristic donald duck while we’re there, Joe!

Why not indeed, Kerri. Does that mean it’ll be a Mickey Mouse session?

Joe

hahahaha - oh my goodness, that’s witty.

Atlantis. Hy Brasil. Rockall.