What’s your favorite key to play in?

What’s your favorite key to play in?

As a mandolin player, I have always favored the key of G, but recently I find I really like tunes in B flat and G minor. What’s anybody else like best? Kate

Re: What’s your favorite key to play in?

Yer up late, John J. What time is it in Musselburgh?

02.30am. I’m just back from a meal with the East Lothian Fiddlers.
We had a tune afterwards. I’ve also had a few beers. What time is where you are?

I dont’t like the key of G that much because the 2nd string 2nd fret (b) and the 2nd string 3rd fret (c natural) don’t seem to lay naturaly under the fingers for me … . I like to play the C# on the 4th fret like in the keys of D and A.

I’m a fiddle player and I love Gm Dm and Am. I also very much like F but I am addicted to minor keys and tunes with funky twists, rhythms and accidentals. Have taken shine to 7/8 and 9/8 tunes lately but strathspey still rule the roost.

Hey John J, have you got your own time zone now? It’s only 1.30 down here in the smoke 🙂

Sorry, more drink than I thought! 🙂

8:35 pm in Vermont. I got home from work an hour and a half ago. Time to take my shower and then play some tunes, all by myself, in my room.

Why not play some tunes THEN take a shower!

I’m talking fiddle, but the key of choice largely depends on the tune. Some tunes cry out to be played with great resonance in keys with no flats/sharps or with 1 or 2 sharps. Others would be ruined by such choice and are better in a key with 1 or 2 flats (or 3, if you’re one of the "big boys"!). Fingering and bowing technique are also other issues to be held in mind.

When playing a flute tune on the fiddle it’s always worth considering playing the tune in a different key. For instance, some of Gian Marco’s tunes are in 1# - I believe he plays the flute - but often come off better on the fiddle if transposed up a tone to 3#s, both for resonance and technique reasons (I hope he won’t mind me mentioning this).

BTW, I’ve deliberately not referred to specific keys, but rather to the number of sharps or flats in the tune, otherwise we’ll get bogged down in the confusion of numerous keys and modes.

Trevor

I play til I drop. I should get all ready for bed, first, or else the shower and teeth brushing won’t happen. D’ya think that would make a good discussion? "Do you play first or shower first?"

Playing till you drop sounds quite energetic … so you might start to perspire a bit … then you take a shower … Yeh which comes first , personel hyegine or music would make a good thread.

I tend to play first then loose track of time and have a panick shower before I go and do what I have to do.

But if you got nothing to do I’d shower first then play until you drop cos’ then you can just flop into bed without worrying about a shower.

Right. Here I go. Away from the computer. To the shower. Then to my favorite warehouses, er, warhorses, nightmares, whatever. I’ll be back here in the morning. G’night, all…..

God bless

My favorite key is the one the tune I’m playing is in. But I prefer G dorian to G minor if that’s the key it’s in. B flat is ok if my big whistle’s around.

E min or E dorian…I also like A dorian a lot and B min can be fun. Basically…anything that can be played on my D whistle and is similar to minor. 😉

You can’t beat Dminor with a Bflat major 20th thrown in

Played a load of sexy Bb and Cm tunes last night in Kitty Clarkes. I have gone off the D Susato a wee bit but still LOOOOOVE the sound with the Bb body on it. Mellooooooowwww yeah! 🙂

way cool discussion.the way you answer each other right away…..i wanted to talk about what happens when you play in the wrong key accidentally and then someone at your session "fixes" it, what a nice rise that creates…..(think I’ll do it more often, but on purpose…)

now, regarding rockingbows shower-music schedule….i will start a new thread…….

In order of preference : Eb or Bb for slow airs or hornpipes, A and E for fast & fiery reels, G and D for most other reels, followed by C and F for the ‘other’ tunes (not necessarily Irish..)

Jim