Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia

Hey All,

I know in a previous post I said I was going to Newfoundland but instead we’re just going to go to Nova Scotia. So, the same question still applies. Where should I go to hear some real music? What should I avoid, and what should I deffintly see? I think we’re going all over the province. So any information you could muster up for me, I’d be tickled to death. Thanks everyone!

Johnathan

Re: Nova Scotia

You’ll find some decent pubs with good sessions in Halifax; but if you are looking the real music, dance, and Scottish culture, you should head up to Cape Breton. The Gaelic College in St. Anns is a must and will be able to supply you with all the summer happenings. Mabou is wonderful town with great music and lot of the natives still speaking Gaidhlig.)

3 years ago I saw Buddy McMaster at the Gaelic College and then drove an hour south to go hear his niece Natalie play. Cars and people where everywhere. Natalie’s band was playng for step dancing in a local large barn; the barn was packed with people doing the most fantastic steps. The energy didn’t wain until at least 4am.

I agree with the last reply. You should definitely go to Cape Breton. I had so much fun there last summer that I am going back in August. During the summer, there is music in some town every night of the week. Just stop at the tourist center to find out where its all happening. You can’t miss it- it is basically one of the first buildings you see when you get on the island.

If you can’t make it to Cape Breton, I heard that there is bar called The Old Triangle in Halifax. It is actually owned by a musician. Might be some good music there…

If you are looking for some good music go t the ceilidh trail school of music in Inverness Cape Breton during the summer. They have amazing teachers like Buddy MacMaster and Brenda Stubbert and they could most likely direct you to some good places to hear traditional music.

The Normaway Inn in Margaree Valley, Cape Breton is a great place for music and dancing. Also, the Glenora Distillery in Cape Breton (which is also an inn and restaurant) has music. The Old Triangle in Halifax was so much fun we went there every night we were in the city! Have a wonderful time; I’m envious!

Posted by .

Definitely Mabou. Spent a wonderful afternoon at the Red Shoe Pub listening for hours to Dave MacIsaac play fiddle. If you ask people what’s going on/ who’s playing, they’re more than willing to make suggestions. The local newspapers also advertise dances, etc.

Posted by .