Whistle

Whistle

Want to purchase a whistle for around €100/€150 I currently have a susato Kildare D. Looking for a good quality one to play in trad group willing to go a bit higher in price if it suits
thanks

Re: Whistle

Depends if you want tunable or non-tunable. I currently have a Susato low D tunable and am upgrading to an MK Kelpie non-tunable. For $160 US. 109 British pound. in my experience the Cheiftain v3 I used to have does not provide as much sound as a Susato (which is one of the strongest sounding whistles). I hear Burke’s are good to but not familiar with the prices. Every whistle has its pros and con’s. Check out pipersgrip.50webs.com/Instrument%20Reviews.HTML
This guy reviews every low whistle just about. Good luck!

Here is a whistle maker who has received excellent reviews: http://www.talmadgewhistles.com/?page=Main

Noah Talmadge
Talmadge Whistles
1062 Applegate Place
Harrisburg, OR 97446

These are really good whistles. I have two of them, in D.
USA

Thanks everyone do any of you know about the chieftian d whistle would you recomend it ? thanks again

What is wrong with the Susato?

I like the Dixon Low D myself, particularly the mellow reedy lower octave. I have a fixed pitch one, but it is available in tuneable format. I am getting around to acquiring a tapered bore version that they have now made, which I hope will give a nicer (to my ear) higher octave, which is a bit to breathy on my current whistle for my taste.

I borrowed a Chieftain low G recently, but found it needed to be well warmed to perform for me. A heavy aluminium body maybe doesn’t always suit the Irish Climate!

Posted by .

The Killarney is very similar to a Sindt, but cheaper and no wait. It’s a nice whistle. If you’re in a trad group, I assume you play amplified…so volume isn’t an issue. Lots of whistles will work. In my group, although I primarily play flute, I play either the Killarney or an good old tweaked Clarke original.

Eric

I would be interested in the Sindt how much would it cost and where would I get it tried to look online but no joy
the susato has a few bumps and is out of tune

I agree with Madoc. The Chieftains low whistles are nice to play. But it usually took me several songs for it to warm up. Until its properly warmed it will play noticibly (to the whistler) out of tune. However even after it was warmed up to me it didnt seem loud enough for the session/group setting. Otherwise, it has a very breathey sound to it and is responsive enough to play tunes rather well which are the reason I liked it.
By the way its also true. The Aluminum makeup of the whistle doesn’t care much for humidity. Needs to be polished with very fine steel wool often to keep its shine.

@Caleb H.

I also have a very heavy brass High D Tony Dixon tuneable. Lovely to play, and the heavy weight somehow gives more confidence and flow to my playing (maybe I am playing tricks on myself here). But, I have to set it on a radiator, or keep in my pocket to keep it nice and warm.. Also the brass tarnishes easily and I think the Brasso will have to come out!

I really like the cheap ‘n’ cheerful Tony Dixon fixed pitch Low D - zero maintenance required!

Posted by .

@Claire Loakman: John Sindt is presently working on orders from MAY 2012 ! There was/is a waiting list of approx. two years.I don’t know if he is still taking orders.

Sindt is prob the nicest whistle to play but a long wait i just got mine december after 2 and a half year wait if you cant wait that long get a killarney they are fantastic for the price and no long wait