What is this video from?

What is this video from?

I was reading through one of my older threads, back from my "controversial" days and found a video I hadn’t notice before, it being on a tangent that wasn’t relative to the OP.

http://youtu.be/ThxECxTDLVA

What’s Tony MacMahon talking about? Where are they?

The video begins and ends at an awkward point and this is all the youtuber put in the description:
"Tony MacMahon gives his views on modern day trends on traditional Irish Music."

Whatever’s going on, it sounds interesting and I would like to hear the whole discussion. Not to mention I’ve come to really like Tony MacMahon as I’ve been listening to two of his albums the last few months, and always enjoy the videos I find of him.

Re: What is this video from?

Jerone - I’m 99% certain that this followed on from a TV series called "The River Of Sound" which came out around 1995 which was about the course, development and possible future directions of traditional Irish music at that time. Prof. Micheal O’Suilleabhain presented the original programmes, and it led to a fair bit of controversy between the "traditionalists" and the "innovators" [ although there’s actually no reason why any one person can’t be both ].
I didn’t see the original programme, but I think Tony MacMahon was referring immediately after a performance by Eileen Ivers on fiddle, playing in her own unique style. [ Apologies if I’ve got that wrong ].
The ensuing rammy between the 2 factions led to a conference in Dublin in 1996 - the papers presented at that conference were subsequently published as a book "Crosbhealach An Cheoil 1996", which may or may not still be available.
Hope this helps. Others here may have memories of things happening after the series of programmes, and it may well have been discussed here before, if you do a "search".
All the best, Kenny

Posted by .

Thanks for that Kenny, and thanks for that video Robert! I’ll do some youtube surfing and see what I can find.

Any more info about this program is welcome!

That’s the programme, Jerone. Hope you enjoy it - please get back to us and let us know what you thought of it.

Posted by .

Will do Kenny! It’s almost 3 hours long so I’ll have to watch it this afternoon. On my way to bed here shortly.

"I think he is responding to this"

Dear lord that was painful. πŸ™

That was painful? That was brilliant! Notwithstanding the puff sleeves that guy can dance. When it came to dancing in an authentic trad style he did very, very well. The fiddle was not half bad as well. It certainly was not pure trad or to everyones taste but it was expertly executed and very energetic and entertaining.

Surely, CE, you are not a cultural fascist?

BTW, I’ve been following the discussions for some time but this is the first time that I’ve been moved to post. Hello to you all; Kenny can confirm that I am a rubbish tune player.

Posted by .

Should also have mentioned that my main instruments are guitar and english concertina. That really blows my cred!

Posted by .

"Surely, CE, you are not a cultural fascist?"

Certainly not!!

However, when I am king of the world that kind of public performance will definitely earn you a stint in the salt mines.

I will add my own reservations concerning Ms. Eileen Ivers when she is playing
her modern interpretive arrangements and compositions.

Her teacher was my first teacher, and I wish I could have spent the amount of time she did with him.
When she dropped his name as an influence, I was hopeful that I might hear something that reminded
me of him in her playing, but I do not think so.

I think my fears were first raised when at 1:50 of the video,
when she walks over to the stage, toes the pedal, and "turns on"
that blue electric violin.

Some more recent vids of her on Youtube have her playing a bit more traditonally,
and she has the chops to do it, although her flight s of self expression do not always work for me.
That is just my taste, or lack of it.

She is one heck of a violinist, and I envy her her technical toolbox -
I simply would not live in the house she built with it.

That does not make either of us "right", just different.
Play on, Eileen - a lot of people are very happy to hear you, anytime.
πŸ™‚

Posted by .

I guess I’d be with Cheeky Elf on this. Eileen Ivers is a fantastic player. However, I have never been able to make myself listen to what she does. To my ears, the cloying richness of it overpowers the music and destroys it in the process.

But there ya go - I think we have now pretty much summed up the divide around Eileen Ivers’ playing. One thing that is amazing is that someone in their playing can conjure up such extreme, and extremely polarised views - I mean, it takes something pretty powerful to do that. And, in a way, that’s admirable in itself.

By the way, I didn’t like the dancing at all, but maybe that’s because I’m not a dancer, so don’t understand it. I’d be more into this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZvAfGQ3J4

what is the name of the tune played on the sean nos dance video ?

Posted by .

Regarding Eileen Ivers, I think she’s a great player - and I do like her innovation too. But - what a dreadful sound from that electric fiddle! Same with the fiddle she used on ‘Wild Blue’. Thin and waspy sound.

IMO, an electric instrument and rig simply not set up properly. She’s not the only one πŸ™‚

Stiamh, thank you for that link! Much food for thought there.

@Ben Hall:
Thank you for posting that wonderful dancer, and his excellent accompanist.

I have been dusting off my flute again lately, and that was another breath of fresh inspiration
for the kind of player I want to be. Not taking a technical ego trip, nor any soaring flashes of brilliance
which the composer might never have intended - just a grand tune, played well.

God, I love this stuff.
πŸ™‚

I do not mind these guys, either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTo5Ae7Vz3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu26Y0DXyT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnRB-SWSbVM

Posted by .

Tony Mac is God.

I wouldn’t cross the road to listen to Eileen Ivers.