Birmingham UK sessions?

Birmingham UK sessions?

Can anyone tell me for a friend what the session life in Birmingham is like these days? There’s not much listed in the sessions section here, but I can’t believe it’s no longer the thriving hub it once was.

Thanks for any info.

Re: Birmingham UK sessions?

Not sure I think there is a session every other Sunday, I’d like to get down myself, only 30 mins by train, but i need kick up the ar*e and dont know anyone who goes.

There’s still a good few sessions around Birmingham.

Every Second Monday, there’s a session at the Spotted Dog, Digbeth. On alternate weeks, it’s at the Horse and Jockey, Lichfield; so it’s probably best to ring to check which week it’s on.

Tuesdays, there’s a session at the Prince of Wales, Moseley. I’ve never been myself, but I know some of the players who go are of a high standard, but I get the impression it’s a bit more ‘folky’ than trad.

Every Thursday, there’s a session at The Big Bull’s Head, Digbeth. That’s always a good one.

Also, since last year, there’s been a monthly session to raise money for/promote the Birmingham Tradfest. They’re usually the first Sunday of every month at Ceol Castle, Moseley Road, but every now and then, due to other events, it moves to another weekend (the next one is 12th April,) it’s worth keeping an eye on the website (http://www.birminghamtradfest.co.uk) to see when that’s on. There’s usually a few great players visiting from all corners of the country.

Posted by .

Was about to mention the Birmingham Tradfest!

I’m really heartened to hear all this, Tom! Thanks very much. I have very fond memories of sessions there, and of the brilliant, friendly local musicians. Particularly dear were the house sessions at the Lawries’.
Glad things are still very much alive. Thanks again.

Agree with all of the above…but beware The Big Bull session doesn’t always happen every week, although it is very much alive.

The Ceol Castle session usually starts early, something like 5 p.m.

One night in between Christmas 2014 and New Year, I enjoyed joining in on a lovely session with a bunch of - first of all friendly and welcoming - but also musically very classy, but also inclusive - musicians. It was a South Birmingham club, but they were local Comhaltas-based and Spotted Dog regulars. Very much alive, as previous poster stated, but maybe not so active on this site. Birmingham has many classy players and fine sessions, just a case of asking the right people, as you have done.