slow sessions/ tune learning session in Dublin / Ennis / Miltown Malbay

slow sessions/ tune learning session in Dublin / Ennis / Miltown Malbay

Hey guys! i was wondering if you know of any slow sessions / tune learning sessions around Dublin city centre / Ennis and miltown malbay, as i will be there end june , till mid july , Yippeee! 🙂 i’d love to participate in a session (I’m not a beginner on my instruments, but it’s important to me that the session that’s welcoming and accessible .. especially for someone who CLEARLY looks like a foreigner/tourist , like me :P). Any advise would be much appreciated.

Re: slow sessions/ tune learning session in Dublin / Ennis / Miltown Malbay

Don’t under value yourself. Just stroll in any old session, say hello and ask to join in like you would normally!

I believe the Cobblestone in Smithfield has a slow session for learners one night a week, although I don’t know which night. If I have heard correctly there is a fee to attend, but I don’t know how much it is. If you have a facebook account I’d recommend contacting them through their page as they are quite active and have always responded quickly to me when I had questions about gigs there. It’s easy to get to, as there’s a Luas (tram) stop at Smithfield Square and you can see the pub from there.
https://www.facebook.com/thecobblestone

There’s also a slow session in Comhaltas headquarters in Monkstown. It’s further out of town, but still easy enough to get to - it’s only a short walk from Seapoint DART (train) station.
http://comhaltas.ie/locations/detail/culturlann/
http://comhaltas.ie/events/detail/moderate_session/

The Cobblestone that I mentioned above is worth stopping in to on any night of the week, even if you don’t get in to actually play you will almost always hear something good. There is normally music from around 7.30pm until closing time.

Hughes’s pub, which is right beside the Four Courts Luas stop, one stop from Smithfield going towards the city centre, has music too. I think there are tunes on Fri/Sat/Sun starting from around 9.30pm, and there’s usually a session in the snug just inside the door and another session farther down the back of the pub. They are not beginners or slow sessions, but the one down the back is great to listen to and the one in the snug seems to generally be friendly towards visitors.

I wouldn’t worry too much about looking like a foreigner/tourist - Dublin and Milltown Malbay both get lots of visitors from all over the world so you might not stand out as much as you think, and you might find that people are quite welcoming and interested in your story when they realise how far you travelled for a few tunes 🙂

Hi The blonds in miltown and Brogans in Ennis

The slow-ish session in the cobblestone is on a Monday night. In hq in monkstown, it’s Wednesday. Not sure if that one is still going. It started to drift when Brian Pryor (bannerman on here) passed away. Was never quite the same after that. There’s also a welcoming, if not necessarily slow, session in the Áras Chrónáin in Clondalkin every second Saturday. Pm me closer to the time, and I’ll pass on the details.

Sessions in Malachy’s, Quin, Co. Clare Thursday and Friday nights, you’re most welcome - come along. Also Saturdays in the Abbey Tavern in the same village.

There aren’t that many slow or ‘tune learning’ sessions around.

I agree with Des about the Blond’s - the other sessions in Miltown are good but not as welcoming.

Regards
David

Brogan’s sessions in Ennis ended when the Brogan family sold the pub a month or two ago. I haven’t heard anything about them resuming, and if Eoin O’Neill were back there, I’d have heard about it from him on Facebook. He’s now playing at The Local with Quentin Cooper and Cruises with Yvonne Casey.

Sorry a point of clarification.

There are 2 slow sessions in the Cobblestone. One on Monday night which is not that slow and the other one on Wednesday night. Follow this link for details of the Wednesday night one.
http://balaclavas.ie

The slow season in Comhaltas in Monkstown was on Tuesday night up to a few months ago anyway.

There is a slow session in Clasac. The Comhaltas building on Alfie Byrne road Clontarf every wednesday night.

Posted by .