Hanger/stand or wall mounted stand

Hanger/stand or wall mounted stand

Hello all, I will be getting my new banjo soon and just wanted to ask peoples opinion on the best way to keep it in good shape. My concerns are - stand(kids will knock it over) wall hanger(neck strain due to heavy tone ring) wall mounted stand(not sure where to get these), or do i just leave it in the case when i am not using it(any element of risk here? ) if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Posted by .

Re: Hanger/stand or wall mounted stand

Think upside down.
Hang it by the tone ring.

The safest place for it is shut away in a hard case, which will not only protect it from knocks and bangs, but also from sudden humidity changes. The disadvantage is that it will discourage you from practicing, you’ll find you play much more if the instrument is readily to hand on a stand or hanger.

Depending on your family, wall hanging is probably safest - hung nice and high it is far less likely to get bumped or kicked than on a floor stand, but it does make an easier target for wild kids with bows and arrows, or hormonal wives throwing ornaments. I’ve never heard of ‘neck strain’ being a problem, and can’t imagine how it could affect a banjo - the forces would all be straight along the wood, simply counteracting some of the string tension. But make sure you use a hook that holds it by the peghead not the tuners. The one problem you do see on wall hung instruments is scratched backs/resonators - it would be worth sticking a small patch of felt or something soft to the wall where it touches.

I would recommend storing it in a hard case when not actually playing it. Not only will that protect it from humidity, but it will also protect it from the effects of strong sunlight.

I’ve seen instruments hung on walls just for decoration - usually by non-players.

However, you might like to purchase a floor stand for use between breaks between playing at sessions or gigs.

Thanks all. Having it to hand would be my reason for hanging, i heard somewhere that leaving it in a case could possibly warp it, on the other hand i am fearful it might get knocked over if i leave it on a ground stand. Upside down is a new one 🙂 I just came across a banjo wall mounted stand on http://www.stellingbanjo.com/parts-and-accessories/ 125 Dollars for peace of mind, might look at building one myself. Thanks again for all the input.

Posted by .

Banjo rack/gun rack - seems reasonable!

I hang my fiddle off my music stand using String Swing. I also have a hanger for my wall.

www.amazon.com/String-Swing-Hardwood-Studio-Hanger/dp/B003B10DIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429901875&sr=8-1&keywords=swing+string+banjo

They are very good hangers, very secure. And I practice far more often. Of course, my fiddle is not very valuable. If you have a really expensive instrument I can see taking more precautions. Still, I’ve gone so far as to trip and knock into my stand and the fiddle didn’t fall.

I kinda feel like having your instrument out in plain sight and ready to grab at a moments notice is worth the risk.

I have some on the wall and some on stands, it seems about the same to me. All those get played more than the ones in the cases, in the closets, and under the beds.

Mark M, I have heard many banjos destroying ornaments, but I have never before heard of an ornament destroying a banjo! 😉

I agree with Mark M, that the safest place is to shut it away in a hard case, and to then lock the case.
Yeah, stands are nice, but then kids can all too easily get into those.

A carelessly held mug of cocoa dropped on the floor irreparably stained the skin of my banjo hanging on the wall until I had to replace the skin ( real skin, you see ). On the other hand, if you are past the point of having rumbustious kids or hormonally challenged women hanging it on the wall is good.
NEVER heard that leaving an instrument in a case could warp it !

Get the kids their own banjos — problem solved!!

Posted by .

All instruments, in case. Or if you have a large felt lined wood cabinet with a rack. In the coolest room in the house. Avoid costly repairs.

Instruments are meant to be played, so I think it’s worth the risk of having it on a stand. I find that as soon as an instrument is in a hard case the amount I play it reduces by about 90 percent. I use "string swing" hangers on the wall. Fine as long as it’s not in direct sunlight. And I have a slightly less valuable instrument on a floor stand in the living room. It has taken some punishment from the kids at times but nothing disastrous. In fact nearly all the damage to my instruments has been done at gigs rather than at home, due to trailing cables, drunk people (including me), falling mic stands etc.

And Jan, whichever room I’m in at the time is always the coolest room in the house ;)

For myself, I tend to put instruments out in cycles (this month/week I’m really into Octave Mandolin and 12 St Guitar, next week who knows). The rest of the time they are in their respective cases and kept in a fairly stable temp/humidity closet I built underneath some stairs. That being said, I’m a big fan of Hercules stands (the yoke models) and have several I can strategically place around the room/house. They are the most stable I’ve found and are very difficult to knock over. There are different types of wall hangers, but I’ve never used one as I’m just not a "hang it on the wall" kind of guy. I also have one of the 5 instrument Hercules stands that I used when playing and pull it out if I’m attempting to record or having a jam session with friends/family (I believe they’re available in 3, 5 and 7 instrument models for the musician who wants to change with every tune). When I know the grandkids are coming over, everything goes in a case.
The only instance I’ve ever heard of an instrument getting "warped" in a case, had to do with neck bow on a guitar (though this applies to any stringed instrument). If you’re going to store the instrument for a very long time (experts argue over what is a long time, I say 6 months or more) it behooves you to detune the instrument at least one full step (myself I go 3 steps). I have a couple of guitars that I only pull out once in a blue moon due to their antiquity. These I don’t store at concert pitch but detune when they’re in storage.

I was nagging a friend at a club last night, because he has the most exquisite guitar, but having taken it out of its case leaves it lying against a chair or whatever - you have to understand that he paid more for this instrument than I have ever paid for a car…….so I’m nagging him to get a stand for it…in the nicest possible way of course. Carrying a guitar stand as well as the instrument only adds to your labours, but it beats getting unnecessary marks on the guitar or whichever.

Cheers for all the input guys, i have opted for the safe approach. Stand when i am in the house(as soon as i get home i will put it in the stand) and into the case when i am in work.

I had it in the case the last few days and have noticed a significant drop in playing, will take the reduced risk option which will allow for easy access and protection when i am not around.

Posted by .

Or i could always get it permanently fixed to my back so i always have it to hand

Posted by .