I could use some info on sessions on the following dates/locations in Ireland.

I could use some info on sessions on the following dates/locations in Ireland.

I’d like go to some real sessions (definitely not play at any. Lacking skill, courage, instrument etc).
We’re on a bus tour with the American band Tullamore. Better that someone else drives, I remember the last time we drove through Dublin - at lunch time - downtown - in 2006. Scary. Put me on the bus, I get to quaff a few beers on occasion. Preferably at a session.

May 10 Sunday, Listowel
May 11 Monday, Dromoland Castle Newmarket
May 12-13 Tuesday - Wednesday, Cork
May 14 Thursday, Kilkenny
May 15-16 Friday - Saturday, Dublin.

Re: I could use some info on sessions on the following dates/locations in Ireland.

Callison,

I reckon you’re being a little bit lazy.

If you’d searched the session pages for Tuesdays and Wednesdays in Cork, you’d have found these entries - https://thesession.org/sessions/search?day=Tuesday&q=cork and https://thesession.org/sessions/search?day=Wednesday&q=cork.

There have been plenty of discussions about sessions in Dublin. This is the most recent - https://thesession.org/discussions/36979. I’d second the recommendations.

As for Listowel, there is a regular Sunday night session in J.B. Keane’s (https://www.facebook.com/JohnBKeane), but you should know that since Tullamore are playing there.

I won’t comment upon Newmarket-in-Fergus or Kilkenny, except to say that the former is not far from Ennis or Sixmilebridge, and that it’s a doddle just to walk the streets of the latter and find out what’s happening.

Posted by .

Re: I could use some info on sessions on the following dates/locations in Ireland.

Yep, just a tad lazy. I do appreciate the more up-to-date info though, especially that of sixmilebridge. Thanks!

Just to let you know - I live in Cork and attend the Sin É wuite frequently - so far as I am aware the usual group that played there on a Tuesday no longer do so every Tuesday but play there every fortnight now instead. So that may not be on on the date you are in Cork. If it is on its well worth checking out though as there are some great tunes played although it wouldn’t necessarily be pure trad but a mix of old-timey/trad/swing kinda stuff. Still a wonderful gig if you’re there but not an open session - rather a regular band. I don’t believe there is Trad there on a Wednesday - but more often than not there is a folk singer or group or some such.

I’m not sure of the exact running order of sessions in the Corner House, but they do have some regular sessions (or bands/groups) but I wouldn’t rely on there being one on either on the Tuesday. Same goes for the Wednesday. The occurrence of sessions during the week days has appeared pretty random to me at times.

There is definitely a good session on in Blarney every Tuesday - its a fairly open session too so if you do want to join in they’re fairly welcoming there. It’s not as hectic a session as you’d get in the City but worth look and some really good musicians there too. Only drawback being that if you are staying in the city - its a 15 min taxi journey.

It’s unfortunate that you are not in Cork for the weekend as Fri-Sun there are some great sessions and great pubs they are too that host them.

As for Ennis/Sixmilebridge - I’m from not far from there and I’d say your best bet would be to skip Sixmilebridge unless you have uptodate info that there is definitely a session on there as its a very small village and the likelihood of there being a regular session of a Monday night there would be slim I’d say - maybe someone here can confirm if there is one or not.

Ennis is a larger town and well known for hosting great sessions and home to many great musicians, so I’d say chances are there would be some music in one of the pubs there.

Neat link EnDaC. I’m surprised The Byrds and the Rolling Stones weren’t worked into the routine as well. As far as Tullamore playing in Tullamore - not on this tour. There seem to be rather a lot of things named Tullamore and more than one group with Tullamore in the name, so it really is like that YouTube link. Tullamore (this one, the one from Kansas City, USA) has been touring every other year to either Scotland or Ireland. They’re playing Listowel and Dublin with one other location this time around. The rest of the tour is devoted to just being in Ireland and doing touristy things. Bus tours aren’t ideal but at least this one is a like-minded group. If I played flute, I’d drag them along as they’re small but bouzoukis and hammered dulcimers and the like don’t exactly qualify as portable in the airline sense so I’m just looking forward to soaking up the music and the atmosphere. I’m trying to convince one of the band members we should bribe the bus driver to take us to sessions in the evening.

The meath fleadh is on from the 14 may for the weekend your in dublin in dunboyne its a stones throw from dublin it will be full of sessions

Hi.

Don’t miss the premier east coast event! 15 - 17 May. Check it at http://skerriestraditionalmusic.com/

Any similarity between my user name and the hosting town is entirely coincidental.

Jim