Anyone having problems with Concertina dot net?

Re: Anyone having problems with Concertina dot net?

..answers own question. I see others are indeed having problems. The site isn’t operating right now, due to spam so said.

Posted by .

No dots or abc?
Blimey! Have to start using ears then!

I had the same problems this past Thursday. Went to mandolintab.net. It didn’t support all my fields, but enough of them to do the job for now. And I like it for transposing.

And based on this, what with his recommending looking for other methods of conversion, I’d say the tune-o-tron is down. Alas.

“Sorry, due to abuse from spammers and my inability to spend hour after hour playing cat and mouse with them trying to defeat them (or at least slow them down), I’ve been forced to close most of this system. I’d suggest using the Forums for tunes and information on conversion systems/software.”
http://www.concertina.net/tunes.html

Sometimes I use the Score page in ABC Navigator,
adjust for size etc. And just copy with the Snipping Tool,
that come’s with Vista. I am sure there are others
out there, ( Software ) that would work too ?
Hope this Help’s !
f4

end of an era

Posted .

The tune-o-tron was nice. Good, high quality digital manuscript in pdf. Not that weird, stringy, grainy pixelated junk. Though I don’t use it anymore, it will be missed.

Ah balls, that site was my go-to whenever I had some need to convert ABC to beansprouts.

I can’t get any of these suggestions to work for me. I guess I need to mess around with them some more.

So sad the old site won’t work. It was my favourite net thing to do.

Posted by .

I have given http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/ABCcontrib.html a few tries but I can’t see any notes.

I copy abc from here and paste it there and clicked submit but nothing happens. I entered my email and nothing happens. I would like to “not” give up on my hobby of collecting music but it ain’t looking pretty right now.

I emailed the fellow who had the concertina site. He is definitely giving it up and suggested me to google some sites. I didn’t understand much out there.

I would really appreciate help to get going again with converting abc to notation to save on my computer.

Posted by .

Here I am returning, still hoping someone can help me, point me in the right direction to be able to convert the abc to pdf sheet music. I need to do this so bad. I can’t get anything to work that was suggested and tried so darn many times. Someone must be using another method now that concertina is gone.

Posted by .

Don’t forget about Tunepal if you have that! Go to “My tunes” click “Edit”, then “+Add Tune”. From there you can copy and paste the ABC in it’s entirety and it will convert it to sheet music live, meaning you can also edit the notation. Works like a charm.

Thanks Jerone for your suggestion. I don’t have Tunepal. I checked it out and can’t use it but I will look into it further. It said I needed java or something.

Tom, that is my problem….that might work for you but I can’t figure it out. I paste my abc into the box and can’t get anything to come from it. I just need someone to tell me what to do. Pleaszzzzzzz

I miss my hobby of collecting tunes so much.

Posted by .

Paste then Submit is all I do, ignoring all the options.
(“Paste as plain text” is probably a good idea if you have that option.)

I don’t have a computer right now but I may be able to help you out.

To turn on your javascript, go to “Settings” in your browser. From there click “Content Settings”. You should be able to enable Javascript there. If this doesn’t work, google how to enable your javascript from your specific browser.

The actual site is www.tunepal.org Try there first.

I was able to search the tunes and get a copy of sheet music from the mobile site on my cellphone.
http://tunepal.org/tunepal/mob/index_mob.php

It may not work for your desktop but give it a try. From there you can search a tune by ABC or title. On the next page, there will be a list of possible tunes. Click the link to the tune you want. On that page, there will be two buttons, one for MIDI and one for sheet music. Click the one for sheet music and it should come up.

If that doesn’t work, try to navigate the normal site.
www.tunepal.org

Sorry if this doesn’t work, it was all I was able to do from my phone. A lot of things aren’t accessible when doing them from phones. But work around the site, do some digging and searching. If I can get it on the mobile site I have no doubt in my mind they have it on the actual site.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Suew, the abc converter on mandolintab.net is very handy & I think it should work for you with a little assistance.

Tom’s advice is good about not clicking any of the options & entering the abcs as plain text.

“If” that doesn’t work you can try a few different things.

1 - There may be a problem with the abcs so try a couple of different abcs.

2 - After you hit <submit> does it return text but no image?

3 - If you click on the PDF button at the top does it open a PDF viewer?

4 - Below the text box are various options. One of these is labelled Graphics.
It will say either PNG or SVG. Try them both.

Posted by .

Tom, when I hit submit, I get nothing. It comes up with the pasted abc which I put in.

Jerone, I will look into your suggestion too but I would like to try to get this mando converter working if at all possible. Thanks for your help….

AB,
1 - There may be a problem with the abcs so try a couple of different abcs.

Did that, didn’t help.

2 - After you hit <submit> does it return text but no image?

Yes, it comes back with the abc format.

3 - If you click on the PDF button at the top does it open a PDF viewer?

Yes, my PDF viewer comes up with nothing there.

4 - Below the text box are various options. One of these is labelled Graphics.
It will say either PNG or SVG. Try them both.

Did that and didn’t help.

Maybe I should take a movie of what I am doing and put it on youtube and go from there? Would that be a good plan?

Posted by .

Suew - I just tried using http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/ABCcontrib.html on both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome browsers. It works for me.

1 Get this page up : http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/ABCcontrib.html

2 Now paste the abc code below, into the big “Enter ABC tune(s)” box :

X:1
T: Saint Anne’s
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:D
fe df ed cB |A2 FA DA FA |_B2 =FB DB FB |A2 FA DA FA |
fe df ed cB |A2 FA DA FA |BG ed cA Bc |ed dc d2 de ::
f2 fg fe dc |Bg gf g2 gf |ed cB AB ce |ba a^g ab ag |
f2 fg fe dc |Bg gf g2 gf |ed cB AB cd |ed dc d2 de :|
%End of file

3 Now click on the PDF button at the bottom of the page

4 On the next screen, click on the PDF button

5 Now you have your PDF displayed, which you can save as a filename to your computer.

Actually, concertina,net would do well to put the ‘broken’ message on this page : http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

…then that would save the time-wasting of subbing the abc, only to be told it doesn’t work.

To be fair, that link is not directly accessible from the site. It was saved by users from the time that the app did work properly.

Thanks Jim, I tried that what you said and something seemed to be happening, but I got this message:

Bad host in “?”

Software error:
Insecure dependency in piped open while running with -T switch at /u/guests/jc/public_html/cgi/abc/tuneget line 940.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (admin-eddie@eddie.mit.edu), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

I tried with a different tune and got the same message. I feel we’re getting somewhere though. Thanks.

Posted by .

Suew, it looks like JC’s abc converter is throwing up a red flag & not parsing your abcs. Hopefully the webmaster will write you soon to help sort it out.

In the meantime, if you’re game, here’s yet another online converter > > http://www.drawthedots.com/
It’s worth a try, though I don’t know why the other 2 converters haven’t accepted your abcs. I’m reaching here but if I was not getting results this is what I would try. I’d type in the abcs instead of pasting them & keep them as simple as possible. You can use Jim’s abcs for Saint Anne’s, though maybe just type in the least bit necessary (& see if anything happens).
Something like this ~
X:1
T:Saint Anne’s
K:D
fe df ed cB

Not saying it will work, it’s just something I’d try when all else fails.

Posted by .

Thanks again, AB.

That draw your dots site isn’t what I really need. There is no pdf spot.

Here is what I do for fun. First of all, I’m working towards senior years, rolling right along lickity split. I am learning fiddling and play every day for, ummm…..maybe hours. Sometimes I only play one tune but most days my fiddle is between my keyboard and monitor. I play music from my monitor or I turn around in my chair and play from printed copies but mostly I play from my monitor as it’s bright, I can see it well and can enlarge it too but best of all, I have all my music organized.

Each week the Sessions mails out the new tunes that have been listed. OH BOY! My favourite part of my week!!!!!!! I go through each tune putting it in Concertina, converting to pdf and I file each tune in different categories of tunes I like, tunes I can play well, waltzes etc. I save the midis too. It’s been such fun since I started learning to play.

I have learned very well how to use my computer too and mastered finding concertina, the sessions and how to save pdf and midis. Now concertina is gone. Now I look for an alternative. Now I am outside of my comfort zone and sad that I can’t bring back the fun I had……but the worst part is, I can’t seem to get anything else to work for me.

I need to give this collecting music a rest maybe and perhaps I have enough music to keep me busy.

One thing….too….“I’m reaching here but if I was not getting results this is what I would try. I’d type in the abcs instead of pasting them & keep them as simple as possible” …..that would be a little hard. I can’t look at that print and then go and type it. Every time I come back to look at it, I lose my spot and have to start all over.

Posted by .

I thought of one thing I could do. When ya click sheet music here at the sessions, and then print, a nice copy comes up. I have no way to pdf file it, but I could print it off and then scan and then file it on my computer. Lots of work, but not all hope is gone.

Posted by .

Suew, I know how you feel! I play by ear, but I also like to collect sheet music. I like the black and white of the paper and I like the look of the music and symbols. Not to mention, physical collections often last much longer than mental collections. So at the very least I keep track of my tune names and sources I heard them from. Good luck in your passionate work, and I hope you get along ok with navigating your resources!

Yes, Jerone, that’s it! Just what you said. I think I also have OCD…organizational control disorder LOL with myself.

Posted by .

I didn’t know about the jpg to pdf program, thanks, that’s nice to have. The other link is in French and I clicked everything in there to get English…no go. Sorry to have so many things go wrong but it’s happening. I’m not making these happen.

Posted by .

Suew, yeah the Draw the Dots converter can be a little buggy. There is a ‘Quick PDF’ button below the text box (between a real-time draw button & a MIDI button). You may have to *double click* it to call up the PDF viewer.

Still I think the mandolintab.net PDF function is better, if you can get it to work.

Here is a tune from one of the Draw the Dots collections ~ http://www.drawthedots.com/pdf/146/scottish_rurale__friendly_key___a_modal_.pdf

Posted by .

When I first began experimenting w/abc code (back in the day) there were plenty of glitches; usually a minor problem or two. Though even the least, little thing would result in an error.

So, just now I submitted an entry @ http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/ABCcontrib.html but w/one simple typo*. As I expected I was able to replicate an error similar to the one which Suew received > > http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tuneget?F=PDF&X=1&n=1&copt=0&U=?&N=/.pdf

*the typo? A *double space* between the 1st & 2nd line of the header.

We may get to the bottom of this yet.

;)

Posted by .

mmm maybe I need to learn abc stuffs. I hope to get to the bottom of it AB, thanks.

Posted by .

If you have EasyABC (freeware), just use the abc file from thesession and let EasyABC export to PDF. It works very, very well. As far as converting from .jpg to .pdf or whatever, I have a Macintrash and it’s as simple as opening the image in Preview and saving it to whatever file format I prefer. I generally save to .tiff so I can use software to turn the dots into abc which is unfortunately, a non-trivial task.

I don’t have abc freeware but I could. So if I get it I paste the abc from here into there and then…..

converting something.

I will try that again.

I did take the abc and scrunched it all up and DIDDD get a music piece. It took some time to back space everything but I did get it in trillium.

This is so stressful. I feel like a bother and I also feel my memory is shot to rat sh$# and my computer skills are crappy and the guy who took concentrina off had the right to do so but he had no idea how it impacted my life.

I almost could cry, feeling sorry for myself. Maybe if I went and kicked the neighbours dog I would feel better.

Sorry for all the trouble guys.

Posted by .

Wish I could delete the previous post.

I quit.

Posted by .

I quit and unquit because I just couldn’t let it go.

Since 3 days ago, everyday, I mess around somewhat with trying to get something to work.

Today, I downloaded Chrome and was able to get http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php to work

AND

I could get http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/ABCcontrib.html to work too! WOW WOW WOW !!!!

BUT…….Chrome is all pink in the background. It is the most horrible thing to look at. If it ain’t one thing, it’s the other eh.

So I did a little experimenting too. I copied abc from IE and pasted into one of those programs which I opened up in Chrome and it came out fine.

But when I copied visa versa from the pink into IE, it wouldn’t work.

So whatever is going on has to be with IE as well as Firefox as I also used that brower.

Just saying….

Posted by .

Update, update and funny……I got ABC working but now the midi files won’t open. They will save, but not open. I did a search and found others complaining about midi files not opening on Chrome too.

Posted by .