Take a minute out…

Take a minute out…

…to remember Danny Pearl, a bluegrass fiddler whose favorite tune was "Red-Haired Boy", and was kidnapped and murdered while on the job for The Wall Street Journal. Better yet, how about playing the tune at your next session to remember him by?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29362-2002Feb5.html

Zina

Re: Take a minute out…

Very good suggestion Zina. It will be done here on this end.

Gawd, as a full-time freelance writer and quasi-journalist, I already thought of Pearl as "one of our own." This just makes it doubly sad. We’ll play the tune here tomorrow night, though I don’t know that I’ll be able to muster the usual swing.

Posted .

Thanks for the post, I’ve been doing the same on some other lists,
Not only play that "Red Haired Boy" , but maybe play it very slow the first time, then pick it up later. (damned terroists)

Hi all,

Does anyone have an objection to letting this tune become known as Danny Pearl’s reel, or play it really slow as Danny Pearl’s air.

Just a thought.

Andy

More properly Danny Pearl’s Favorite, I’d say.

I think that’s a lovely idea, Andy, Manfred. And a nice way to explain the name addition to Red Haired Boy…

Zina

Hmmm…what if…

So…what if we started a movement to add the title "Danny Pearl’s Favorite" to the tune? Tell all your friends the story, keep Danny Pearl’s memory alive, ask them to tell people that it was Danny’s favorite tune before they play it?

There’s a belief common all over the world that a person doesn’t really die until his influence dies or s/he is forgotton, all the circles that spread out from their life ripple out and fade away…I’d like to think that musicians can remember him in at least this way for as long as there’s trad musicians out there…

What do you guys think?

Zina

good thoughts, I started playing it last night in my band rehearsal, and the banjo player said, " hey, why are we practicing that one, it’s not on the list for this upcoming job" then I got to tell the story, and we went on to play it several more times, at various tempos as well.
"Red Haired Boy" / "Little Beggarman" has always been one on my
very favorites and now I’m going to look for some variations or make up some to extend it further.

This coming Friday (October 10th, 2003) would have been Daniel Pearl’s 40th birthday.

The Daniel Pearl Foundation is organizing their second annual music day ( http://www.danielpearl.org/events/index.html ) to mark the occasion.

So if you have a session Friday, a slow version of Danny Pearl’s Favorite might be especially appropriate.

—Dave

Dunno…from what I hear, Danny really liked that tune. Probably a full-speed version would be more to his taste! :) If you play it, while you do, think about a guy who gave free fiddle lessons to kids who couldn’t afford it and thought that everyone should be able to have a musical voice…